2009 Honda Fit expotastic build

Hodaka

Adventurer
Having driven a Fit a bit the last few months, it's about the last car I'd want to take on a dirt road - far too stiff!

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I'm so glad my first vehicle was a 93 Toyota Pickup 2wd regular cab with one mirror, no ac or ps, and a non reclining bench seat. My dad and I took it all over really remote areas in MT and I daily drove it for years......these experience formed my expectations for a vehicle to be pretty low in the comfort department. The frugal simplicity and rough ride of that truck has made even the lowliest of econoboxes seem like luxury sedans.....I really enjoy basic no frills cars. They have character and an inherent willingness that never fails to bring a smile to my face.

It wasn't that long ago people rode around for days in covered wagons or gasp rode horses and walked places....toughen up people! :elkgrin::coffeedrink:

CurtStyler

Observer
This is an awesome idea. I used to take my Honda Odyssey camping in college. I still think it was the only Odyssey with General Grabbers on it.

I was very close to having a Honda Fit, even had money down on one last year but after 2 months they still couldn't tell me when they could get the color/package I wanted.

They are great little cars, I can't wait to see how it holds up long term.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Changed the manual tranny fluid with Hond MTF yesterday. Much nicer shifting! The handling and amount of room continue to impress.... I fit 3 2x12x10s inside the other day. Got a great look from a guy loading the same load into his full size truck.

Last edited:

dman93

Adventurer
Amazing what you could do before the internet forums came along & told you what you needed...Moe

View attachment 312128
Ahh, memories! My 1980 Fiesta was quite good off pavement. I remember taking it into the National Forest and filling the back with firewood once. It never occurred to me to get a 4wd till years later. But seriously, some of the newer FWDs are just not as capable as those older cars. Ground clearance, and in the case of our Prius (which is roomy and otherwise is a great travel/exploration car) the traction control can't be turned off and has led to some moments. Also,one flat and then you're on a mini-spare ....

lqhikers

Adventurer
small is great!

glad to see others exploring small dual purpose rigs
we are at the end of our second year in our ford transit tc
set up as a small weekender (we leave it set up)

it gets used almost as much as our tacoma 4x4 with pop up camper
plus it gets 27-29mpg all day long.

our go to rig when we feel like putting in the miles to explore distant spots.

do you plan on being able to sleep in it?

keep sharing your experience with us.

Les,lqhikers

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Last tank of gas.....42mpg.

Snow update = awesome. I love that it doesn't have traction control. With it's light weight, narrow tires, fwd and manual trans snow was a breeze. Really this car is a throwback to older everyday simple cars but with a fantastic chassis and modern safety tech.

p nut

butter
Yup, I had an '07 up until 2 months ago. I LOVED that car. The thing swallowed 2 bikes and gear with room to spare. Had over 1,000 bottled waters in it at one time. Talk about utilitarian. This thread is making me miss it...a LOT.

94toy22re

Observer
Back in 2012 i was looking at buy cheap bare bones fuel efficient car, i test drove the 2012 Fit and Yaris. The fit had much better thought out cargo area but i couldn't get over the 3500 rpm at 70 so i bought the new Yaris for 13,500 OTD no regrets. I easily can get 40mpg with my best tank being 46mpg going between Flagstaff and Colorado Springs. When i have taken it off the beaten path it struggles with a high first gear, so a lot of clutch slipping is require to get it going, never had any issues traveling rutted dirt or gravel roads. Currently at 105k miles and nothing but Oil changes.

p nut

butter
Back in 2012 i was looking at buy cheap bare bones fuel efficient car, i test drove the 2012 Fit and Yaris. The fit had much better thought out cargo area but i couldn't get over the 3500 rpm at 70 so i bought the new Yaris for 13,500 OTD no regrets. I easily can get 40mpg with my best tank being 46mpg going between Flagstaff and Colorado Springs. When i have taken it off the beaten path it struggles with a high first gear, so a lot of clutch slipping is require to get it going, never had any issues traveling rutted dirt or gravel roads. Currently at 105k miles and nothing but Oil changes.

I almost bought one as well. Yaris gets better MPG for sure. Fit gets less MPG from the tall profile, but makes up for it in utility aspect. Both great no-nonsense cars, but Fit won my heart for being able to "fit" so much crap in there!

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader

I like the Yaris but the driving experience is pretty numb in comparison to the Fit. I view the engine as more motorcycle like....so the rpm doesn't bother me.

Ultralite

Adventurer
I think about this sort of thing all the time. I've done so many miles in a '69 VW Bus with no issues. Same in my stock Suburban. And recently acquired an AWD BMW wagon. I just took my daughter for a driving lesson on miles of dirt roads in the wagon, getting over to the side so gigantic Jeeps could get by.
I have the same fridge as you by the way, goodbye ice!
I've thought about finding an old 240 wagon so I could sleep in it. I have a neighbor who has rally tires on a Mercedes. But he bought the car that way.
Where can you get knobby tires for a car? I thought about having 2 sets: street and dirt road. Like some people do for their track cars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles