Ugg - cracked heads ...

MisterBishi

Hey all -

My 89 Raider 3.0L V-6 with 140k miles , suffered a catastrophic overheat awhile back ( lost an old block heater plug that dropped all the coolant). Eventually it started using coolant so I pulled the heads.

A local respected machinist resurfaced them (.0065 removed ) and found small cracks between the valves in the middle cylinders of both heads. He pressure tested them and they passed. He said not to worry about the cracks and that he would rebuild them for $200 / pair.

A local respected mechanic that owns and works on Mitsu's ( and my trucks) was not as confident in reusing these heads.

Any real world experience out there ? Ebay rebuilts are around $400 / pair.

I'll be doing the labor but geez I don't want to do this again any time soon ...

Thanks !

Dan

Swank Force One

Adventurer
This is pretty common on a lot of old japanese motors. I'd run them. Chances are halfway decent that the $400 heads will have the same issue, which isn't really an issue unless they aren't sealing.

In my turbo MX6, i have two pretty ugly looking cracks in chambers 1 and 3 to exhaust valve seat. Pressure tested fine. I run it to 20psi+.

MisterBishi

So if I buy rebuilt heads do you have any recomendations ? Clearwater comes up often - seems the most $$$ ...

Any others that folks have had good luck with ?

What is it about these Gen I's that makes you try to keep them alive ?!

Dan

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
They are little battle tanks. A properly running Gen 1 will take you to the edge of the Earth, but also bring you home and leave you with a smile on your face.

Clearwater is a great source for rebuilt heads. I've used them several times. Remember, if you buy crap...you get crap.

John B.

I had some Clearwater Heads cost me a new engine. What I would do with any set of Heads for a Mits is have them checked to make sure they are WELL with in specs, particularly for the thickness of the deck. On most vehicles being machined down a little below spec will be ok, on a Mits motor closed to, or under spec and you have a permanent over heating problem. So, a good set of heads, well with in specs.

PA_JERO

Adventurer
I've heard good and a little bad on clearwater, but, if they fail giving you quality rebuilds they generally stand by there work. If you cant find a set of good used heads from someone or a junkyard then buy a set of clearwater heads. I would doubt you will find a set of head that hasn't been machined but I'm sure they are out there....somewhere. good luck.

CanyoneroAZ

I'm one of the few people that have had a problem with Clearwater heads, but after some back and forth they finally made things right. They shipped a head with two exhaust cams causing me to have to re-do the driver side head after my full rebuild. Caution: Be aware these heads may have been sitting around for a while and the seals might be an issue. My valve stem seals gave up the ghost after only 45K miles.

Jay Ayala

Explorer
I've had 4 different sets of heads from Clearwater on 4 different projects. I had all positive experiences and positive results. The only thing I did run into once was a broken stud in one of the bores. It took me a while to get it out obviously. But it worked fine once I moved past that.

1989 Dodge Raider 3.0L

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier