"Adventure Mobile" goes back in time.. 1996 Suburban to 1984 Suburban..

beauregard

So when my wife decided we needed to get a newer family hauler, we tried to sell the old Suburban but I just couldn't give it up for what it was worth.. I decided to keep it and five years later we have a love affair with the "Adventure Mobile" It is so great to have a dedicated abuse truck to take on or weekend trips, into the woods hunting and all around abuse by my three boys.. The rack helps tremendously for throwing boat fuel on top and other stinky (fish, dead animals etc.) that the boys want to bring home..

20150813_145259.jpg

So when this 1984 with 84000 miles became available I snatched it up with the intention of Totally going "Adventure Mobile" on it..

20151012_161214.jpg20151012_181601 (1).jpg

I have a set of 35 inch tires I found on Craigs List already purchased but I'm really clueless as to what lift and what rims to purchase next? Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. Also planning on doing some motor tune ups.. Getting rid of the emissions etc.. New bumper with winch, and the moving of the old rack to this one..

Last edited:

underdrive

jackwagon
I'd say skip lift and wheels for now. Dana 60 first! Then full-float 14-bolt rear. Once you have axles you can't break without trying very hard, the go nuts with the bling. Least that's the way we usually do things, hasn't failed us yet...

Bojak

Adventurer
Off road design's website is a good source to check for your square body lifts and stuff.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

beauregard

I'd say skip lift and wheels for now. Dana 60 first! Then full-float 14-bolt rear. Once you have axles you can't break without trying very hard, the go nuts with the bling. Least that's the way we usually do things, hasn't failed us yet...

That is fantastic advice.. thanks..

underdrive

jackwagon
Maybe I should have also mentioned that following said advice is likely to never get you to the bling stage. All our trucks still rock factory steelies... cause bumpers and winches and axles and such. Never-ending ordeal, but as long as things get beefier and beefier it's worth skipping the bling.

But yeah, even our Jeep is on a 60 front. Cause breaking something driveline related when you're way out there with your family to boot, well that really sucks. So better safe than sorry...

beauregard

Ok so a little update.. I have both a Dana 60 410 and a 14 bolt rear waiting to go on.. Also found a 12000 pound Warn winch and a winch bumper.. Yaa..

Anyway question?

I want to repower with an LS motor but locally a guy is selling a C20 with a 6.2 L Diesel .. Wondering if I should buy it and swap the motor into the "Rock Crusher" as the kids call it? Any luck with the stock 6.2L's in the old Suburbans..

14516338_10210647709931126_439595597172953590_n.jpg

arveetek

Adventurer
I want to repower with an LS motor but locally a guy is selling a C20 with a 6.2 L Diesel .. Wondering if I should buy it and swap the motor into the "Rock Crusher" as the kids call it? Any luck with the stock 6.2L's in the old Suburbans..

I like the old diesels. The 6.2L is a really simple and reliable engine. Compared with the gas engine already in the 'burb, you'll love it much more, since it's a mechanically fuel-injected engine and you won't have any carburetor woes. The low-rpm torque is really nice as well. However, comparing the 6.2L to an LS swap is quite another thing. The LS will have a LOT more power than the 6.2L. But it will cost a lot more as well.

I've done two 6.2L swaps myself. The best thing to do is buy a complete donor vehicle. The little stuff will nickel and dime ya to death if you just start with the motor only. The radiator, belt-driven accessories, brake booster, and nearly everything else under the hood is different for the diesel.

Casey

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I think your gonna hate the 6.2, mainly because you mentioned an LS, which means you probably wanted more speed. I'd get a salvage yard 5.3 ls complete motor/trans/ecu, or even a wrecked donor truck.

toastyjosh

Adventurer
I think the 6.2 is cool plus you can swap in a turbo pretty cheap. Find a blown 6.5 diesel pull the turbo stuff.

Swaps are cool but a **** ton of work, one of the less work option if your 350 is still in good shape is fuel injection.
This
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...el-injection&gclid=CISgsumu-tACFdq6wAodpnsO7Q

and a fuel pump and a fuel filter from a late model corvette and your good to go. Yes it is some cash, but will make the old burb tune its self.

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
For suspension do a shackle flip in the rear and a set of rear springs up front with the overload leaf removed. Will net about 4" of lift, lots of flex, and a good ride. offroad design and www.diy4x.com carry the parts for this.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Real nice old `Burb´ you found yourself there. Those clasics are the best. Although the 6.2 liter diesel is good on fuel you will probably find them incredibly gutless. You would probably install it and be sorry about the lack of power. I have a 94 Yukon with a 6.5 turbo diesel in it and although it has considerably more power than the 6.2, I will probably be swaping it out with a 454 gasser. Why are you considering swaping out the ls motor? For suspension mod I would look into BDS springs and suspension. I have them on both my rigs and have been using them for many years. They have a military wrap meaning that the second leaf goes all the way around the main leaf giving added sucurity if your main leaf snaps. Great garantee and good prices. Check out my build if you want to see what I did. Anyways keep us posted what ever you do. Cheers, Chilli...:)

beauregard

LS 5.3 vs. 6.0??

So I'm shopping for motors and I was all set on the 5.3 but some local guys think I'm crazy not to put in the 6.0.. thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles