New alternative to Pelican cases

capturecolorado

Hooray bikes!
volume efficiency looks like worst on the market. complete crap.

While they may not be the most efficient, they're damn good for those of us who don't have money to spend on Pelican or Alumibox cases. Those of us who are striving to have **** that works, but also be able to afford to go to work, or school, and eat every day don't have the ability to drop big coin on products which are vastly more volumetrically efficient - that's why I bothered to put this up here. A durable product that can hold stuff, keep it safe, dry, and secure, and is accessible to someone who doesn't wish to spend all of their money on a box in which to put their belongings as they go to enjoy time outside.

I don't disagree, they're not tremendously efficient. But I've been using Plano cases on the flatbed, and while they're moderately more efficient spatially, they are terrible for heavy use... the sides are not stiff, they aren't a very viable option for someone who would prefer something with a little more structure and rigidity.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I love my rigid box. The limited space helps keep the weight down. I tend to over pack with more stuff than I need. The price of them is nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

teethless

I've bought a lot of plastic boxes....

I originally bought one of the rigid cases in anticipation of buying deeper into the line. I really like the stacking crates they released this year! However, I'd agree the space efficiency isn't what I'd hope it to be. When I was playing with the rigid cases at a couple different HD locations, I noticed a few had already experienced latch failures on the shelf...

With a watchful eye on CL, I've found lightly used pelican cases similar to the new rigid price, and for a waterproof "tough box" style storage solution, that would get my vote.

For a light and inexpensive (non waterproof/bombproof) modular in-vehicle storage solution, consider the dewalt tstak line. Overall form factor is smaller and the light duty drawer units are a trade off of convenience for poor space efficiency. $20 off $100+ promos are frequent this time of year and there are lots of options.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
For those of you interested in the Rigid boxes, Home Depot has a Black Friday special on them in a three-pack (three sizes), plus the organizer for $98. Seems like a great deal.

photo.jpg

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I use seahorse and they are 90 percent as tough as pelican. My friend has a bunch of pelicans and I have a bunch of seahorse cases. I ran over my sony camera setup with my F150 in my seahorse case. Willing to take the risk. It passed with flying colors!

dmwhiteman

Observer
These boxes are awesome! Glad to see there is good thread about them. I picked up the three piece set over the summer to use in my rig. The smaller is used for tools, the medium is my misc kitchen supplies, and I used the bottom box on wheels for my dual battery storage. With two holes in the handle it bolted into the track in the back of my frontier. Even with a few holes in it, water has never been able to seep in. I emailed Ridgid shortly after the purchase letting them know how impressed I was with them and that several of my friends had picked up the set and they sent me some free stickers! This is a great company and deserves our support.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
These boxes are awesome! Glad to see there is good thread about them. I picked up the three piece set over the summer to use in my rig. The smaller is used for tools, the medium is my misc kitchen supplies, and I used the bottom box on wheels for my dual battery storage. With two holes in the handle it bolted into the track in the back of my frontier. Even with a few holes in it, water has never been able to seep in. I emailed Ridgid shortly after the purchase letting them know how impressed I was with them and that several of my friends had picked up the set and they sent me some free stickers! This is a great company and deserves our support.

I been using only the two top boxes and haven't figured out what to do with the rolling one. I like the dual battery set up. Wheels help with moving heavy weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dmwhiteman

Observer
I been using only the two top boxes and haven't figured out what to do with the rolling one. I like the dual battery set up. Wheels help with moving heavy weight.

I thought the same thing, that I could be able to disconnect and use the batteries in the middle of a field or backyard or something. Weighing in near 200lbs, it hasn't left the back of my truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online