Wheels???

SpeedAgent

Adventurer
I am having a very difficult time finding aftermarket wheels for my 02 Disco. Do you guys know of any sites that list wheels that fit DII's? I haven't found anything.

Thanks,

Chris

Desertoutpost

Adventurer
SpeedAgent said:
I am having a very difficult time finding aftermarket wheels for my 02 Disco. Do you guys know of any sites that list wheels that fit DII's? I haven't found anything.

Thanks,

Chris

What type of wheels were you looking for?

SpeedAgent

Adventurer
?

I'm not exactly sure. My D2 came with the 18" rims and tire options are minimal. I have seen more people talking about Tread Wright retreads, but they don't sell 18"s, but I'm not really sure if any of their 17"s will fit. I think I would need to see some options before I could make a decision.

I'll be up front and tell you I don't know much about wheels for this car. I don't know what the required backspacing is. What is too wide? Do aftermarket wheels require different lugs?

Thanks, just starting to educate myself, but there isn't much out there for this car.

Chris

Mercedesrover

Explorer
Ditch the 18's. There are no 18" tires built for off-roading/expedition use and the Michelins on that truck are expensive and impossible to find in the bush. There was a trip to Goose Bay/Happy Valley that a guy took a DII with the original wheels and tires on....He had four irrepairable flats.

There are a couple of 16 wheels available for your truck. (I would stick with steelies.)

These are $380 a set from AB plus $100 for a spare.

3030.jpg

These are $790 from RN for five or $840 for five from AB

RRC114560MUWA.jpg

Go with steel wheels. They're stronger for this type of work and can be repaired if need be. Besides, the aluminum wheels for this truck are $300-$400 a piece. Hard to find used ones but if you poke around you might get lucky.

jim

Green96D1

Explorer
I agree with MercedesRover.

ditch the 18's and go steelies. Furthermore Procomp sell D2 steel wheels as well

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I was in the same boat. The 18s really, truly and seriously blow. I was able to watch eBay long enough to find 5 very nice OEM 16" wheels for under $450 including shipping! I think mine might have been from a P38 Rangie and look really nice. In turn, I offloaded my 18s on ebay for $300 just to ditch them which took all of 5 days.

A buddy of mine found a DII on a usded car lot with 16" wheels and asked if they'd be up for a trade. They said no intially. He then said, "I'll give you $100 plus the trade." Deal - done.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Mercedesrover said:
Ditch the 18's. There are no 18" tires built for off-roading/expedition use and the Michelins on that truck are expensive and impossible to find in the bush. jim

:rolleyes:

SpeedAgent

Adventurer
Backspacing

I'm not familiar with what backspacing is. Is that the same as offset? What is the proper backspacing for a DII? What is too much and too little? I found some cool wheels on another site and I'm checking into them.

Thanks for all the help.

Chris

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
The cheaper option is just another set of standard 16" rims

do a search on any of the main dismantler websites, or

Will Tilery does good deals on used rover parts, he can be found on Dweb, just PM him your requirements

I have one set with road tyres and one set with offroad tyres, I think Will charged me $ 275 or similar for a set.

he's supplied me a range of parts, and arrive as described for a fair price

Obviously if you can find them locally...its cheaper

Steel V's Alu.........really for everyday general offroad use, there's not much diference

If you intend to drive a fully loaded 110 1000's of miles along unmade roads.....maybe the price is worth it...

Desertoutpost

Adventurer
This is what the steel ones look like, they are 16's and I run the tread wright's, the backspacing and everything else is good JMO. Louis runs 18's and they look great, but I think the rubber is pricey. Trail side fixes are possible with steel.

100_0401.jpg

Louis show him a picture of your so he can see the difference. :p

LC/LR4Life

Adventurer
We took the 16s off the P38 and put them on the DII. Then son bought black steelies (16") from atlantic british and we put those on the p38......

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
LC/LR4Life said:
We took the 16s off the P38 and put them on the DII. Then son bought black steelies (16") from atlantic british and we put those on the p38......

Pics?

I haven't seen to many RR with the AB steelies.

:lurk:

superpowerdave

Adventurer
LC/LR4Life said:

Exactly what we did. Then we found an RRC for my wife to hit the trails with so she didn't care about the 18s anymore.

OP - the 18s are going to leave you wanting when it comes to visits to the tire shop. You'll find lots of street tires, but finding something with tread will either be missing from the rack or will leave you on the floor after you see the price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne