Dreaming of a Perentie Turning an ex ADF 6x6 into an expedition vehicle

carts

Adventurer
Wow, just wow.

Great build. Fantastic rig. And your skill and craftsmanship shine!

I really dig the Army seat covers, too! I have a pair of Aussie army pants my buddy gave to me.

He also had an anatomically correct inflatable 'roo in his hooch in Afghanistan, but that is a different story...

If your mate is a digger then what he did to his roo is ok by me. If not then please leave our wildlife alone.

carts

Adventurer
great to see someone else doing a 6x6 land rover build. They are great trucks, slow and heavy but a lot of grip, it has shocked my some of the stuff it climbs up without trouble.
Not sure if you have seen our build, it was one of the civilian models sold at the time the perentie project kicked off.

Dave

Hi Dave
I read your build story with great interest between you and Shane I was inspired to write this one. I only hope that ours is as good as your 6x6 also I did like your number plates.
I have only played with the big girl but I do like the torque she generates so can see why you like yours.

Have you left on you trip yet?
thanks
carts from WA

carts

Adventurer
The air that we breathe

Well what we have found is that our car fridge works best when we have a way of venting the heat it generates, right I know first year thermodynamics. What we have also found is that venting it to the outside allows the air conditioner in the disco to work more efficiently, yes again first year stuff.

So we set about putting vents into Lizzy, for the fridge. Once we had the frame that holds the fridge slide built and bolted in we marked up the location of the fridge/freezer vent locations. When we skinned the in and outside we made provision to have the air vent through both. This can best be described as a hole through the wall.

We then procured stainless steel vents from the marine supplier to cover the holes. But before we pop riveted these one we attached what we here in WA call “fly screen” in this case it is heavy gauge aluminium fine mesh. We had the option of fibre glass, plastic or Stainless. We felt that the stainless mesh was too large to stop some of the smaller sand midges type bugs and the fibre and plastic was not up to the duty cycle. That left the Aluminium. You tend to spend a lot of time swatting things here, the only place I have been that is worse, is NZ south island after walking the Hollyford track, man those sand flies whilst sitting waiting for the chopper exfil still bring nightmares.

We have also put in place an exhaust fan vent to have airflow and a vent for the shower and toilet. All have the same sandwich construction of stainless vent cover, aluminium mesh and aluminium wall. The exhaust fan is positioned so that if we have the door closed and a window cracked, air will flow through the whole back compartment. This way we hope we can regulate the fresh air. We have a large fan it was purchased from the truck builders who put them in the large 40 foot trucks so that ventilation of the container space is maintained so personnel don’t have to worry about fume build up. It is the only component that has not been selected for its low power draw.

I was worried here if we are cooking and living in an enclosed space then we needed to ensure that we didn’t poison ourselves with Co2. Probably an irrational fear but we can control the fan with a simple switch, so I have erred on the conservative side.

Thoughts or comments from forum members on what you do when you get to cold climates with vents and making sure you have enough air to breath would be really welcome.

Thanks and to be continued as time and adult supervision allows.
Regards
Carts from WA

Attachments

• fridg vent 1.jpg
    fridg vent 1.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 33
  • exhust vent 1.jpg
    exhust vent 1.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 34
  • exhust vent 2.jpg
    exhust vent 2.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 35

carts

Adventurer
paint and pain

Sorry to those that wanted fast update we have been working hard on Lizzy to get her ready to paint. The back of the vehicle had a lot of holes that were put in by the ADF to locate equipment or just that was part of the structure that we had removed. To fill some of the smaller holes we used pop reverts, a lot of holes were filled with domed head bolts that had Allan key stampings, the dome heads where inside to help with the ascetics, whilst the nut was nylock and outside. With the amount of nuts already outside the vehicle this has only enhanced the rugged bolted together look. For the really large holes in some locations we had to use paintable silicon sealer which was then backed by a patch that was either pop reverted or bolted to the main structure. It felt like filling holes became a full time job there for awhile.

We also had to remove the bull bar (roo bar or whatever the bar that protects the front of a vehicle is called in your neck of the woods). That was probably one of the hardest jobs completed at one stage I had a 3 ft bar on the end of my half inch drive strong arm bar just to crack the nuts. This was due to being well-constructed and a huge accumulation of camouflage paint. The rattle gun was used extensively but some wouldn’t budge without 3 to 4 feet and 90 kg of persuasion.

The primary colour is a sand colour that has had a mating agent added to it. It is kind of similar to an old Leyland colour which is what we had in mind when we were mixing the paint. The white on the roof has been left as a gloss white and is just as it comes off the gun. The black on the bonnet, wheel arches, windscreen wipers and wing mirrors has again had a delicate amount of mating agent added.

We used a bucket load of etch primer on all of the unpainted surfaces, this was applied after all of the aluminium and stainless steel was scratched using steel wool. We also then washed all of the surfaces with a de-waxing agent. All of the painted surfaces were rubbed back by hand using wet and dry paper. Now that is a job of love or in my case hate, I am glad it’s over. The painted surfaces had a coat of grey primer which was then were rubbed back by hand as was the etch primer used on the unpainted surfaces.

The white was the first colour applied which was on one week end. By the time we had finished the week end had gone and we had only completed the white paint. The truck was again parked in the paddock to stand until we came back in two weeks’ time to do the next coat.

When we got back sans 13 days of our lives all of the masking had blown away with the wind. So my wife who is the guru at masking started again, this time we finished the sand colour and again lizzy was left to stand for 2 weeks. Ahh back again and we tackled the black again after we had re masked the truck.

Now all of that may sound simple but my step father the guru of the spray gun only had a couple of hours a day to paint. Due in the main to WA being the wind capital of the world (well it feels like it when it blows your hair piece off) so a few hours early in the morning was it. The old fell did a great job as I think you can see from the images.

We are yet to put our go fast stripes on and won’t do that possibly until the last thing.
This has taken a lot of time but I think the TLC we have put in shows in the results.

To be continued as time, money and adult supervision allows
regards
Carts from WA

Attachments

• paint 1.jpg
    paint 1.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 47
  • paint 2.jpg
    paint 2.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Paint 3.jpg
    Paint 3.jpg
    412.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Paint 4.jpg
    Paint 4.jpg
    458.9 KB · Views: 49
  • paint 5.jpg
    paint 5.jpg
    460.2 KB · Views: 57

lrover52

Bernard
Just noticed and read your thread.

Well done, it looks like you'll have a very nice rig.

Look forward to read further posts and future trips you'll do with this Perentie.

Jitterbug

Adventurer
Looks great all painted up! I like the matte look!

We haven't set off full time yet, looking at another year of shorter trips before our business is in a place we can leave it to run itself. Lots of small jobs and refinements to do before then though!

carts

Adventurer
Looks great all painted up! I like the matte look!

We haven't set off full time yet, looking at another year of shorter trips before our business is in a place we can leave it to run itself. Lots of small jobs and refinements to do before then though!

We went with the matte paint trying to match an old layland colour but also ease of care. The planing of the life seams harder than the fixing of the vehicles to me. I am not looking forward my self to that component of getting on the road. If any thing stops us that will be it.
I did want to ask you i seam to remember from your build that you put diff locks in your 6x6. How have they performed sofar? and which ones did you use?
regards
geoff

carts

Adventurer
Just noticed and read your thread.

Well done, it looks like you'll have a very nice rig.

Look forward to read further posts and future trips you'll do with this Perentie.
Thanks I had a quick look at you web page, your truck looks good
I am not planing on having a monkey bike on our trip but remember fondly ridding one on the farm and in the bush when I was around 10 years old.
good luck with the trip.

Jitterbug

Adventurer
I have ARB air lockers in the 3 diffs. I did look at the maxidrive locker for the salisbury but the 6x6 wider rear diffs have an extra oil seal near the diff center that interferes with their design. I also looked at detriot type auto lockers but was advised against them given the 6x6s tendency to want to always go straight.

I all honesty I haven't really put the lockers though their paces yet, I have used them for a couple of steep climbs and not had any issues.

I also put in hy-tough axles, they make them for the 6x6 on the Gold Coast and even had them in stock as they supply them to the military. It is a proper old-school machine shop, (they don't even have a computer) but you can find them if you google hy-tough engineering, carrara.
I also changed my gear ratios from 4.7 down to 4.11 which make it a bit nicer on the highway.

carts

Adventurer
I have ARB air lockers in the 3 diffs. I did look at the maxidrive locker for the salisbury but the 6x6 wider rear diffs have an extra oil seal near the diff center that interferes with their design. I also looked at detriot type auto lockers but was advised against them given the 6x6s tendency to want to always go straight.

I all honesty I haven't really put the lockers though their paces yet, I have used them for a couple of steep climbs and not had any issues.

I also put in hy-tough axles, they make them for the 6x6 on the Gold Coast and even had them in stock as they supply them to the military. It is a proper old-school machine shop, (they don't even have a computer) but you can find them if you google hy-tough engineering, carrara.
I also changed my gear ratios from 4.7 down to 4.11 which make it a bit nicer on the highway.

Thank you now I have some serious food for thought. As mine was ADF wondering what axles are in it, will need to check that. thanks again geoff

Last edited:

carts

Adventurer
Painting the inside of the living area

As you may remember from previous posts the inside of the living space is constructed from aluminium. There will be some marine ply used but the structural members and most of the sheeting is aluminium. To give the inside a light airy feel we chose to paint the surfaces white. We used a gloss white for everything except the ceiling. The aluminium was prepared by washing it with a wax remover, then it was scratched with steel wool to prepare the surface for painting. We used etch primer in grey for the first coat. The etch primer was rubbed back with wet and dry paper to give an even surface. The gloss white was then applied.

Some of the existing structure was rubbed back and left with the army green colour this ADF applied pain was extremely thick and was adhered well to the aluminium. The only way to remove it was using power tools and it left 2 mm thick disparity between where it was removed and were it was left. Thus leaving all but that which was visibly flacking was deemed the best option.

The ceiling was painted using a water based ceiling white. This was used as the ceiling its self is the high density polystyrene. We used a water based sealing coat first then the ceiling white took two layers, the end product looks and feels like a quality finished roof. The gaps that are visible around the support structure will be filled with supporting T bar yet to be fitted.

All of the internal structure with the exception of the water tanks was removed and painted externally to the vehicle. The inside was then painted and the internal structure replaced/ reassembled.

Whilst it’s not complete you can now get a sense of what the lay out will be.

To be continued as time and adult supervision allows
regards
Carts from WA

Attachments

• paint inside 1.jpg
    paint inside 1.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 48
  • paint inside 2.jpg
    paint inside 2.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 51
  • Paint inside 3.jpg
    Paint inside 3.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Paint inside 4.jpg
    Paint inside 4.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 52

carts

Adventurer
Quick update

Well we have put a lot of fiddly work into our 6x6.
Most of that has been inside and I will show those images when it’s a little more completed.
I have been asked how it’s going so I have these two images.
You can see that we have completed painting the roo bar and reinstalled it with the decals being put on.
The one of the rear shows the storage box and the winch installation for lifting the spare tyre.
Not all of this has been completed but I am working on it even thought the weather has been +35 degrees C in the shade and considerably hotter outside working on the landy.
Hope everyone had a good holiday session
Regards
Geoff

Attachments

• q-update-front.jpg
    q-update-front.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 43
  • q-update-rear.jpg
    q-update-rear.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 45

carts

Adventurer
installation of roof top AC

Sorry about taking so long to give an update
Like all things for me the doing is more fun than the writing.

Well we have just about completed the installation of a Reddot 6100 roof top AC unit. The unit itself is quite simple as far as AC installations goes.
The three things that required some thought
1) The mounting bracket. Whilst we had room and the engine mount included holes to take an additional bracket getting it right and made as strong as the rest of the vehicle was a little difficult. But we worked it out after turning up and boring a spacer which we welded to some RHS and two holding plates. The back of AC compressor will be mounted back which you cant see in the pics.
2) The main pulley attached to the harmonic balancer needed to be machined out to an A section. At least the front grove had enough meet to allow machining. Also thankfully the pulley fit into the chuck on the lathe.
3) Electrical whilst simple for the doing, finding the right accessory only power line that could carry the current was time consuming, but we found one and this is the first vehicle that I could remove and replace the dash in one day.
We also braced or should I say reinforced the roof to take the additional weight. The roof its self is 6mm Al plate so fairly strong but again I wanted to make the old girl live up to her pedigree of being made like the old Australian saying goes as strong as a brick dunny (out house)

The AC unit may seem like a luxury but when planning on driving around the world in a vehicle I think a couple of luxuries can be tolerated

Mount 1.jpg compressor 1.jpg hole cut 1.jpg internal bracing 1.jpg ac1.jpg ac 2 .jpg

will update again when the adult supervision isn't watching

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles