Dreaming of a Perentie Turning an ex ADF 6x6 into an expedition vehicle

carts

Adventurer
Hi Matt
thats the ticket! Just what I need thank mate. Hope FNQ is treating you well.
cheers for taking the time to reply its helped me a lot.
best regards
Geoff

Matto

Observer
Hi Matt
thats the ticket! Just what I need thank mate. Hope FNQ is treating you well.
cheers for taking the time to reply its helped me a lot.
best regards
Geoff

No stress Geoff - I hope it helped. I've really enjoyed watching you pull this big girl together.

FNQ is perfect this time of the year - the only problem is that apparently I need to work to earn money, instead of just sitting by the pool. Life's just not fair.

If you're ever over this way, get in touch.

Cheers,
Matt

carts

Adventurer
Probably penultimate update and big thanks to Matt

Thanks to the advice from Matto I finalised the full installation of the so called “house” batteries.
I installed a VSR (Voltage Sensitive Regulator) between the house batteries and the main cranking battery. It was easy except!!

I was finding it hard to find a flat surface up high that I liked to mount the VSR on. The heater box housing was perfect but would I puncture the heater core if I drilled into the housing??????
I looked at the manuals on the computer tried to estimate the clearance, wandered the house thinking about it for a long while, then back to the manuals. Still worried went back looking for another spot, but kept coming back to the heater box housing. It was just right! oh the Goldie locks zone.

So girdering my loins I put the drill through the housing and relief, no water, no untoward extra mettle coming out just some thin plate and a nice neat hole.

Utter relief!!!!!!

So a hour job took 3 hours and some new grey hairs but its done.
The pic is of the mounted VSR and the other one is of the Solar controller reading the same voltage as what the alternator was putting out whilst test running Lizzy.

Big Thanks to Matt..

So I have been told by the adult supervision that this is the last job on Lizzy the 6x6 truck as I have to get the house and yard fully clean as the house sitter will be coming next week.

We are going on a two (2) month trip to Tasmania in Lizzy once the house sitter get here.

I will pull out the DSLR and put the wide angled lens on and take photos of the living space tomorrow when the adult supervision isn’t looking and post them.

I have full intentions of writing something on the trip so will also post were that can be found.

Cheers and thanks for looking in on this build story. I appreciated the friendly comments and thank you one and all for them. Who said the internet was full of nasty people.

Regards
Carts from WA

Attachments

• VSR instal.jpg
    VSR instal.jpg
    413.7 KB · Views: 33
  • vsr-dingo instal running.jpg
    vsr-dingo instal running.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 29

carts

Adventurer
Is that VSR mounted crooked..???.... lol.. great work, now to drive the big old girl and enjoy the fruits of your labour...

Thanks Shane and yes like a dogs hind leg. That's what fear will do to you.

Not sure how I feel about being given grief by a guy who drinks Fosters and posts it on the internet ;-)

This pic is of the awning we made for the big girl. it can be deployed on either side. it uses the rings the ADF had for their cam nets.
nothing like a bit of shad in the Aussie sun.

Attachments

• awning.jpg
    awning.jpg
    614.8 KB · Views: 45

Rankadidi

Yipeeh - the thing is ready!
Big congratulations from the other side of the planet.
Lots of work went into your motor!
Enjoy Tas

T&J
JHB/SA

carts

Adventurer
as promised the inside

We have been packing for our 2 month trip to Tasmania which has given me time to take a few snaps of the inside of our 6x6 truck Lizzy. Probably the most requested part of the truck has been pictures of the inside.

The area we had to play with was 3 meters by 2 meters (5msq) the sunken floor made it so I could stand without touching the roof.

The first and second images show the living end of Lizzy with the table in the up position (both taken with a fish eye lens). All the timber is AAA grade marine ply that has been sealed and vanished with 3 coats of marine varnish. One hopes that if we get it wet by accident that its up to the task.

All of the flooring has 3mm insulation under it. The false floor under the table is storage space as is the are under the seating. This area also contains the water tanks, pump and electrical systems. The third image is taken with a standard lens for perspective.

The fourth image has the table down and the space as the bed we have slept on the bed on several occasions quite comfortably.

Attachments

• (1) inside long view.jpg
    (1) inside long view.jpg
    485.8 KB · Views: 67
  • (2) insideFE table up.jpg
    (2) insideFE table up.jpg
    458.9 KB · Views: 63
  • (3) inside table up.jpg
    (3) inside table up.jpg
    410.7 KB · Views: 65
  • (4) inside fish eye table down.jpg
    (4) inside fish eye table down.jpg
    465.2 KB · Views: 63

carts

Adventurer
last image

The final image is of the bath room with the tambour door slightly open so we could poke the camera through but it gives you a sense of what the area is when showering or using the portapoty.

I hope every one has a great end of year and all the best for 2017.

To the competitors of the Dakar I will be watching and good luck!!!!

my almost last words are to remind us all

"One Life Live It"
all the best Carts from WA

Attachments

• (5) shower toilet.jpg
    (5) shower toilet.jpg
    376.7 KB · Views: 53

carts

Adventurer
couldnt help myself

one last pic.
this is the view from the bed looking back towards the entry door.
cheers
Carts from WA

Attachments

• from bed to door.jpg
    from bed to door.jpg
    426.7 KB · Views: 62

kanga1

Observer
Hi Carts, when you get South of Hobart (Cygnet-Huonville area) member message me, if you have time we wouldn't mind having a yarn. Cheers, the Kangas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94