Dreaming of a Perentie Turning an ex ADF 6x6 into an expedition vehicle

carts

Adventurer
Spare tyre

We have completed the spare tyre lift which involved mounting a 3000 pound electric winch and a set of rollers with pulley block on the roof. So this tyre is the second tyre as there is also one mounted under the vehicle at the rear as well. I think it makes the 6x6 look more like an expedition truck like this and well the electric winch is in case I have to get the adult supervision to change a tyre. well that's my story you will keep my secret wont you!!!

whinch 1.jpg spare tyer 1.jpg

again will up date when the adult supervision is not looking

Last edited:

carts

Adventurer
solar pannels

We have put 3 x 100 W solar panels on the roof to supply power.
I will go into the electrical system when I have completed the wiring
But here are the pics of the roof top and what the solar panels are.

solar 0.jpg solar pannels 1.jpg solar 3.jpg

oh the last image shows the poly carbonate that is the sky light that use to have the machine gun when the vehicle was an army girl.
cheers and again will up date as the adult supervision lets me.

Last edited:

carts

Adventurer
We have put some work into the inside of the living quarters as well over the intervening period
I have used some plastic bench top for the kitchen that looks like stone but is plastic. We cut this with the angel grinder for the sink and glued that in.

We used marine ply for covering the water tanks to make the bed.
The rest of the bed will also double as a table. I am trying to devise a suitable lift method for that at the moment.
The extra bench space is 16 mm marine ply that is mounted to 120 kg rated rollers that lock into place. This is just to supply that little extra room when cooking

Also we have mounted the 12 Volt hot water system in the bath room area. It has 240 V as well but we are not planning on having any 240 V wiring in the 6x6. It will be as self sufficient as we can make it

cuting sink hole .jpg sink and roll out 1.jpg looking forward.jpg hot water and kitchen.jpg

For those of you wondering why I have posted these after so long its because it's a rainy day and I have a few hours to myself. Cheers Carts from WA
will update when the adult supervision has no more jobs for me to do.

Last edited:

carts

Adventurer
Ablutions

We have finished the indoor ablution system, well the floor plate and door. The wet area contains the toilet which is a port-a-potty and the shower area. Hot water supplied by the 12 volt water heater shown in a previous posting.
We pressed up with Franks help (Thanks Frank) 2 mm Al check plate to match the profile of the floor for the wet area. We then inserted a drain that will be plumed into the grey water system (yet to be built). We used 25 mm x 25 mm Al tube to make the area so that it doesn’t drain in to the living area. After reading a few build blogs we decided to extend the wet area all the way to the entry door so that if you enter with muddy boots it’s all contained in one place that’s easy to clean.
The toilet is closed off when the vehicle is in ‘live in’ mode and opened up to be a toilet and shower by use of a Tambour door. The Adult supervision came up with this idea after watching a lot of caravan/van videos from the UK. I had never seen one used like this. I had seen them as roller doors on cupboards.
The suppliers in Australia were quite helpful so I give them 2 thumbs up. But the installation was not easy. We had to get the complicated geometry right for the door to slide and we used pop rivets to hold the track. As the back wall was held away by the Roll Over Protection which was not flush with the ceiling we had to make a support structure that was about 150 mm lower than the ceiling. The disadvantage to this is you have to duck your head when you enter.
After much swearing and complaining about the idea (from me that is) we finally got it to work and I will admit it works well and looks good. Just don’t tell the adult supervision.

shower closed 2.jpgshower closed.jpg
Here you see the closed door from both inside the living area and through the entry door

shower door half open.jpg
This is the door 1/2 open and you can see the port-a-potty in the back area

shower door open 1.jpgshower open 2.jpg
here you have the door open so that the toilet is hidden and the living zone is maximized

More to come when time and adult supervision allows; cheers Carts from WA

carts

Adventurer
bit of fun photo (ready for the zombi apocalypse)

So this is just a fun photo.
I was building the over cab roll cage and tool box structure and the wife snapped this one.
We call it the getting ready for the Zombie Apocalypse! oh I do love a good zombie apocalypse!!!!

as I say bit of fun

Attachments

• zombi 1.jpg
    zombi 1.jpg
    600.8 KB · Views: 30

Rankadidi

Hi Chart;
this shower door option looks like a great idea! Give the adult supervision a double Bell's!
SWAMBO and myself currently have an argument regarding a similar issue ie entrance through the shower cubicle!
This roller door might be a compromise in the making! Should we be able to get the same cooperation of suppliers here in SA.

Hamba kahle
T&J
JHB/SA

carts

Adventurer
Hi Chart;
this shower door option looks like a great idea! Give the adult supervision a double Bell's!
SWAMBO and myself currently have an argument regarding a similar issue ie entrance through the shower cubicle!
This roller door might be a compromise in the making! Should we be able to get the same cooperation of suppliers here in SA.

Hamba kahle
T&J
JHB/SA

Hi T&J
I would hope so I googled the name and South Africa and this came up

https://www.rehau.com/za-en/design-for-furniture/tambour-doorsystems/tambour-doors-inmetallicfinish

just PM me if you want any details on how we did ours as I say it was fiddly but it was worth it. It does look really good and when you are in the space it feels extremely private.
if I haven't helped and you want more info just drop me a pm.

hope you find the perfect solution
cheers Carts from WA

Rankadidi

Hi T&J
I would hope so I googled the name and South Africa and this came up

https://www.rehau.com/za-en/design-for-furniture/tambour-doorsystems/tambour-doors-inmetallicfinish

just PM me if you want any details on how we did ours as I say it was fiddly but it was worth it. It does look really good and when you are in the space it feels extremely private.
if I haven't helped and you want more info just drop me a pm.

hope you find the perfect solution
cheers Carts from WA

Hi Chart;
found the same guys too and will investigate

Cheers totsiens and hamba kahle
T of the T&J

MarkIIa

Observer
So this is just a fun photo.
I was building the over cab roll cage and tool box structure and the wife snapped this one.
We call it the getting ready for the Zombie Apocalypse! oh I do love a good zombie apocalypse!!!!

as I say bit of fun

Hi Carts, if you don't mind me asking, what is the reasoning for building another roll cage over the cab, when the cab is already a rated roll over protection system?
-Mark from NSW...

carts

Adventurer
Hi Carts, if you don't mind me asking, what is the reasoning for building another roll cage over the cab, when the cab is already a rated roll over protection system?
-Mark from NSW...

g-day Mark hope you guys in the east are doing ok. Have been watching the weather and old Tas has coped it.
So no I dont mind you asking. If I had a good answer I would give it but it really is a combination of reasons so I will try and list them below;

1) I want to take the old girl to South America and act as a support vehicle for the Dakar rally. There are rules on motor homes acting as support and I wanted to make sure if we got the chance then there would be no question of the roll over protection safety and ability of the vehicle. (its built to code)
2) I wanted to reuse the storage boxes that came with the vehicle but mount them on the roof I was concerned about doing this and by having them as part of the ROP then this concern is alleviated. (see pic)
3) I was intending to put a protection bar in front of the air conditioner that is on the roof so that it cant be bashed in as easily this acts as that.
4) I wanted side steps the wife is just 5 feet tall and she wanted side steps. the side steps are all part of the ROP
5) I wanted tree lifters and I can put 1 and 1/2 inch black pipe tree lifters as part of the ROP. I will attach these using the elgate Te's so that the roo bar and ROP is separate but structural joined.
6) I wanted too!! I guess
7) One other point during my reading of a lot of blogs I have seen an inordinate amount of people who roll over and that ends there wold trip. Man I don't want that (yep you will say learn to drive,). but I would hope with the living area ROP and an external cab ROP that a mild (if there is such a thing) roll over will cost me my solar panels but we should be able to get back on the road

so I cant give you a simple answer
sorry
regards Geoff

Attachments

• bar box.jpg
    bar box.jpg
    597.5 KB · Views: 21

MarkIIa

Observer
Reason nmber 6 is enough on it's own! Thanks for your reply. I'm thinking about my future tourer build, once I sell my County and FFR Perentie, so reading your thread with interest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne