Big Bend 2015 with Texas Overland

devero4

Adventurer
With planning starting just over a year ago, a dear friend invited a few of us from Texas Overland to participate in his Big Bend Ranch trip this October. We gladly agreed to tagged along! The group consisted of 2 4runners, 1 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 1 HJ61 1987 Land Cruiser, 1 2013 FJ Cruiser, and a 2014 Tacoma. The trip is as follows:

Four of us met at the HEB in west Austin after work on Thurs. night around 8pm. We were going to try and make it as far as we could that night to get a head start on the 10 hour drive west.

IMG_0885.jpg

A quick stop for gas just outside Fredericksburg
IMG_2566.jpg

We drove until about midnight an stopped at a truck rest stop in Sonora to sleep. We woke up and hit the road again at about 5am, filling up one more time.

IMG_1920.jpg

We got to Alpine by 10am, and thats when the terrain really starts to change!
IMG_0746.jpg

Last edited:

devero4

Adventurer
A quick stop in Alpine for a group photo

IMG_0643.jpg
IMG_8477.jpg

about 3 hours later, after a gas stop in Presidio, we were finally at the park!
IMG_2427.jpg

A couple shots from the first day after arriving:

IMG_1152.jpg
IMG_2032.jpg
IMG_4886.jpg

Last edited:

devero4

Adventurer
First camp site of the trip was Agua Adentro, sitting at about 3,800 ft.
IMG_1700.jpg
IMG_1559.jpg
IMG_0254.jpg
IMG_9760.jpg
The first night by far had the best view of stars and the milky way
IMG_6841.jpg
We headed out again in the morning to meet at the ranger station with the rest of our group who had gotten in a day before us
IMG_3630.jpg
On the way to the next stop, our friend Juan got into a small situation in his 2WD FJ.... nothing a tow strap cant fix
IMG_6302.jpg

Last edited:

devero4

Adventurer
IMG_3237.jpg

Later that day we rolled up to the camp site which held a beautiful view, two mountains on both sides, both at about 4,500ft.
IMG_6262.jpg
IMG_3256.jpg
Viewing another great starry sky for the second night!
IMG_0593.jpg
The next morning we waved off 3 of our dear friends, and wished them a safe trip back to Austin and Dallas...

Andrew and I (Red Tacoma) set off to explore a bit and was recommended by our friend Laud to check out the Oso Loop... Not much 4WD needed on this loop, except a couple times to get up a few very rocky hills.

IMG_7781.jpg
IMG_4855.jpg
IMG_0607.jpg

For the third night, we were all feeling a little tired, and decided to set up camp slightly early close to the park entrance at Rancho Viejo. View of camp from the 20-some foot wind mill
IMG_9698.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7974.jpg
    IMG_7974.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,482
  • IMG_1559.jpg
    IMG_1559.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

devero4

Adventurer
That night we made breakfast for the morning so all we had to do was heat up some tacos over in the intake manifold and fold up the tents and get rolling!

IMG_8992.jpg

Time to go home :(
IMG_3618.jpg

We took 170 down to the Rio Grande to take the highway over to Lajitas, and then up to Terlingua

devero4

Adventurer
There are a few places to stop off of 170 and walk to the Rio Grande, we found a small camp site and decided to stick out feet in the water for a "bucket list" check off.

Mexico is just on the other side of the river

IMG_7592.jpg
The views from 170 going to Terlingua are more than beautiful
IMG_6517.jpg
IMG_6217.jpg
IMG_9345.jpg
IMG_3801.jpg
After the sight seeing in Redford and Lajitas it was time to go home. One last stop for snacks a some iced tea.
IMG_6979.jpg

Thanks for viewing, see y'all out on the trail!!

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Great looking trip and an area I need to visit.
Love the Aussie 62 series diesel cruiser with the safari top. Very neat.

Glad you had a good trip and thanks for taking us along.

BlindWilly

TXpedition
Any way to get a more exact route of which way yall went after leaving Alpine?

Hwy 90 West to Marfa
Hwy 67 South to Presidio
Or you can take Hwy 169 which parallels Hwy 67, but goes into the park from the north. That route cuts the chance of you topping off your tank in Presidio however.

Great write up, I'll be heading there in 11 days.
I'm also putting together an overland trip in the State Park for this Xmas-NYE

Justin85

Hwy 90 West to Marfa
Hwy 67 South to Presidio
Or you can take Hwy 169 which parallels Hwy 67, but goes into the park from the north. That route cuts the chance of you topping off your tank in Presidio however.

Great write up, I'll be heading there in 11 days.
I'm also putting together an overland trip in the State Park for this Xmas-NYE

Not trying to be a smarta$$ but I meant more of the trails taken in the park, sorry. Thanks for the info though. Im looking at three different maps and think I have quite a bit of it figured out.

Last edited:

BlindWilly

TXpedition
Not trying to be a smarta$$ but I meant more of the trails taken in the park, sorry. Thanks for the info though. Im looking at three different maps and think I have quite a bit of it figured out.

Ooops, my bad.
Somewhere I have a file that can be imported into google earth. it's got all the trails within the parks on it.
If I can find it, I'll post it here

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94