Recommend a fun .22 Rifle

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
I went shooting & camping with some friends last weekend. My 2 friends bought along their .22's.

I haven't shot a .22 since I was a kid, but out of all the guns that we had, we had the most fun blasting away with the .22's. Now - with ammunition prices going through the roof, and as much fun as I had with the .22's last weekend . . . NOW I WANT ONE!

I own 7 shotguns, 3 pistols, and an M4. I've been in the military for 10 years - part of that time with a SEAL Team. I've always been very experienced and knowlegable with all types of firearms. I definitely do not need a firearms lesson, here. I've just never looked into a .22, and don't know if any particular one is any better than another...

SO ANYWAY - What's a good, fun .22 rifle? I prefer one that's semi-auto.

Right now I'm leaning (HARD) toward a GSG-5.
(http://demigodllc.com/articles/gsg-5-mp5-in-22-lr/)

gsg5.jpg

AndrewP

Explorer
Ruger 10-22. Best bang for buck, so to speak. It's cheap, reliable, reasonably accurate. A good blaster and cheap to shoot.

It's the standard by which all others are measured and so has lots of aftermarket support.

Check out rimfirecentral.com. There are some real nutcases there, but you'll get the idea.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
One of my favorite 22's is the Ruger 10-22T. Right out of the box it shot one hole groups with CCI Green Tag - and it did well with Eley 10X as well. I had a Leopold VX-II 3 to 9 x 40 mounted on it. After a year or so I sold it. I get bored with 22's...

Atticus_1354

Adventurer
How about a conversion kit for the m4 or a dedicated .22 upper? Keep in mind the gsg5 is made by an airsoft company so only airsoft accessories fit it and it does feel a little flimsy.

7wt

Expedition Leader
crawler#976 said:
One of my favorite 22's is the Ruger 10-22T. Right out of the box it shot one hole groups with CCI Green Tag - and it did well with Eley 10X as well. I had a Leopold VX-II 3 to 9 x 40 mounted on it. After a year or so I sold it. I get bored with 22's...
Same path I took. Same end results. Now I am looking hard at a 22 airgun.

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
George M said:
22's are a ton of fun! (your M4 can't be too bad either)
I love my M4 - but ammo is getting so rediculously expensive!

Atticus_1354 said:
How about a conversion kit for the m4 or a dedicated .22 upper?
That would be great . . . any idea where to find such a thing?

...I'll search around.

George M

That dedicated upper looks like fun but you could certainly have a nice complete rifle for that price, without the hassle of breaking down your M4. Maybe you could put the rest of the money into a nice optic?

I don't blame you if you can't escape the tactical look.

Good luck.

Atticus_1354

Adventurer
George M said:
That dedicated upper looks like fun but you could certainly have a nice complete rifle for that price, without the hassle of breaking down your M4. Maybe you could put the rest of the money into a nice optic?

Good luck.

Considering he was looking at the gsg, which is more expensive than this conversion, I would guess he doesn't mind spending a little money. Besides he could always put together a lower priced basic lower for the .22 later.

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
George M said:

Good luck.

Since I'm not ready to buy immediately, I will continue to shop around a bit, and give a good look to the Ruger 10/22. Everybody keeps raving about it.

I already have a $1300 Trijicon ACOG optic on my M4 - so I think I'm all set on that front.

I am really liking the idea of that .22 AR upper, though, and perhaps buying an el-cheapo lower later on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94