Xterra and ARB Fridge Install

seekerbeta

Observer
remember that full sun is not necessarily the best thing. i remember talking to a guy who made solar panels, and he said that a cloudy day in November in Seattle will generate more juice than a fully sunny day in July in Arizona, the panels lose efficiency when they get hot.

meental

Observer
i just mounted an edgestar into my xterra, didnt like how high it was mounted on the seatback like you have, so i took out the seat. 4 bolts and 5 mins and it was gone. the floor is relatively flat so i cut out a piece of 3/4" plywood, 17"x24" and mounted it using the holes that the seat mounted to. Pretty happy with the new location.
IMG_20151029_170301535_HDR[1].jpg
IMG_20151029_171046354_HDR[1].jpg

in a pinch i can still carry 2 passengers in the rear seat, but normally it is just myself and the GF.

lchavez

Observer
Ended up purchasing the Renogy 60W Folding Solar set and it arrived today. Have not had a chance to test yet, but I gotta say I am impressed with the quality of the set. Very well thought out and assembled. Heavy duty folding supports and I appreciate the rigid carry case. Handle is spring loaded so it snaps flat when not in use. Also had a nice surprise, the cable from the controller is an Anderson plug. Plugs right into the Arkpak Anderson plug for a solid connection. I know that 60w may not keep up with the fridge, but I was mainly looking at extending battery usage when in the field. I have been running the fridge off the battery for a week and it averages about 20% of the 105ah battery per 24 hour period. The controller is not water proof, but it has some handy programing features so we will see how it goes.
FullSizeRender.jpg

lchavez

Observer
remember that full sun is not necessarily the best thing. i remember talking to a guy who made solar panels, and he said that a cloudy day in November in Seattle will generate more juice than a fully sunny day in July in Arizona, the panels lose efficiency when they get hot.

good information: even though it was only about 80 degrees outside, the panels where hot to the touch. They ended up maxing out at about 15w, then dropped to 8w again when they got hot.

lchavez

Observer
Tested the Renogy today and I stand corrected, these panels will keep up with the fridge. Solar was charging at 3.4 amps, even with the fridge running the Arkpak was showing a positive charge of 5 watts. This was just a quick test, but I was impressed with the results.
IMG_3183.JPG
IMG_3184.JPG

lchavez

Observer
Installed a garvin rack and had to adjust a little. Still in the same place but now using the garvin supports to tie the arkpak down. Used a piece of laminate flooring to make up for the thickness of the garvin brackets. Garvin rack is solid and well worth the price. Pictures do not do it justice.
086ec2e02f38850c148f9ff9a11c0d9d.jpg

a1758ae63be1d7e36dccc5ca5fc2e979.jpg

lchavez

Observer
I really tried to find cheaper boxes that fit well in the Garvin Rear Storage Rack, but all where usually an odd shape to maximize the space. Finally stopped fooling around and picked up two of the Front Runner Wolf Packs and one of the Flatpacks. Fit's perfect in the Garvin rack and still gives me rear view while driving. My Partner Steel stove fits perfectly in the bottom of the Wolf Pack along with griddle and gas hoses. Using the flatpack for kitchenware such as pots, pans, cups utensils, etc. The other Wolf Pack in currently empty, but will more than likely be used for tools.
IMG_0130.JPG

Do you think that size is large enough for two people over 1 week assuming you only keep a days worth of drinks and rotate warm ones in at night?

1Louder

Explorer
Do you think that size is large enough for two people over 1 week assuming you only keep a days worth of drinks and rotate warm ones in at night?

Yes, even a 37 will work, it's what I have, but I am planning on an upgrade to the 50. Less beverages equals plenty of room for food. I put most of my beverages in a cooler and save the fridge for food.

I can also vouch for the FrontRunner boxes. They are great! Expensive yes but very efficient on space and can be put in my FJ, trailer, or roof rack as required. The Container Store offers a less durable but still waterproof solution as well. See my blog post for more details. http://www.4xoverlandadventures.com/storage-solutions/

Nice job to the original poster. You motivated me to buy an ArkPak.

Last edited:

lchavez

Observer

Yes, the 50 is a lot of space considering you can pack it full (no ice). I could have prob gone with the 37 for my use, but the price difference between the two is so small that I went with the 50.

Remember that warm drinks will make the fridge run more until the drinks are cold. Something to plan around battery charging.

Some of my ice chest habits work well on reducing how much the fridge runs initially. I usually throw a few things in the freezer at home prior to loading the ARB.
- freeze meat, will be thawed by day 2
- freeze some drinks (thick plastic like smart water and Gatorade)

Last edited:

1Louder

Explorer
Nice article on storage. How have the water bricks been working for you.

Since I now have an offroad trailer with a water tank I use them a lot less. They are great though and fit my philosophy on storage. I always bring one with the faucet end to use as a simple hand washing station. I have four and really only need 1 or 2 these days. Of course if I ever do a lengthy trip without my trailer all 4 will come along.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior