OSV Sprinter to F550 or Fuso

Is it true that the Fuso currently has only a 1 spd transfer case?
Also, it is much easier to do "something" about emissions hardware and software on a Ford or Dodge to allow use of high sulfur fuel and decrease failure possibilities.

Charlie

trailsurfer

Explorer
Thank you for your comment. We love the sprinter set up. The 4x4 certainly would provide more versatility then the 2WD that we currently have. But I am looking for a little more space and a bit more robust mechanicals. After speaking with a couple of Sprinter Engineers the four wheel drive model is really designed for additional traction on snowy/wet roads and dirt/sand conditions. Also, our van is very well insulated but the cab is not. So we loose some heating/cooling efficiency my even with thermal window shades. ER has those nice insulated baffles between the cabin and the living quarters. With a Fuso the same strategy could be applied.
Question-what made you switch from the ER to the Sprinter? Also if you don't me asking why did you choose Sportsmobile over Outsidevan.

In my opinion there is no finer Overland vehicle built than a EarthRoamer. The quality and craftsmanship is second to none. The one piece fiberglass body is light, strong, and well insulated. But they just aren't as customizable.

I have owned a Sportsmobile previously, and I really like the quality of their build. They have been doing this a long time, and the materials they use are made to take the abuse of the dirt roads of Baja, etc ... . I just think their vehicles have withstood the test of time.

DzlToy

Explorer
1) U-joint EB van

2)Earthroamer

3)Custom Build

I would not consider GXV or XP Camper, if I were in your shoes.

srqsup

Observer
Unfortunately, the U-Joint Van has less room then our sprinter and has no standing head room so long term living would be kyphosis inducing. The ER is great but I am learning that it is not at all customizable so no room for our equipment. We carry, 4 bikes, backpacks, climbing gear, white water paddling gear etc. So custom looks like the only option. So fat the AARTEC Fuso build look like the best quality. Why don't you like GVX? Their prices are defenetly on the high side.

david506th

Adventurer
I would vote build you own. A bunch of suppliers are coming online now that make it easier. You just have to stomach the cost. I used Morgan Truck body to make a modified freight box for my build. In our next build we will use Composite panels.

david506th

Adventurer

srqsup

Observer
Dave

AARTEC is at the top of my list. The listed one wouldn't work for us since we have some equipment storage needs. I sent Darren an email. Hoping to hear from him soon.

DzlToy

Explorer
I don't want to speak for Darrin, but he only built two truck campers that I am aware of and both were completed quite a few years back. I am almost sure he is not building them anymore.

DzlToy

Explorer
Phoenix in CO builds camper boxes.

I would also look at ADAK Trailers. A buddy of mine talked to the owner about a year ago. He was interested in their smaller trailer being mounted in place of a 14 foot flatbed and ADAK said no problems, as long as you can bring us the truck as a chassis cab. They are very much into outdoor gear, fishing, etc.

Finally, I would search custom or semi-custom builds on here and find out what companies will construct one-off camper boxes. I know the ADAK conversion was only going to be about 30-35k, very reasonable IMO.

I would look at a truck that is not laden with 147 parking sensors and 219 cameras, like many of the new vehicles have. Something 3-7 years old in good condition, even if it needed some minor repairs, could put a lot of money in your travel fund.

Tri-Van in WA builds custom boxes. I am not sure about the fit out though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94