Badlands Nat'l Park & Buffalo Gap Nat'l Grassland

XJINTX

Explorer
THANKS for the replies. Ghostingrey if you don't mind I may pick your brain as we start really planning the trip. We both look froward to the trip as we have been talking about it for years but always seem to end up somewhere else.

Tripleader if possible I'd like to quiz you too?

Your trip looks amazing and makes me want to leave today ;)

Last edited:

TripLeader

Explorer
Part Sixteen [Camping on Old Quinn Road]
I came to the northern end of the park and the area to my left (the west) opened up into the national grassland. The area to my right continued to be private property.
P1160329.jpg
----------
Then came my favorite part of the road. It was a short descending stretch with some badland features right off the road.
P1160330.jpg
----------
P1160331.jpg
----------
I went a little farther and made a campsite next to the road.
P1160332.jpg
----------
The sunset light was a gorgeous spectacle (again).
P1160338.jpg
----------
P1160339.jpg
----------
P1160348.jpg

Last edited:

Foy

Explorer
Impassible when wet

I spent a total of 3 weeks along the ND-MT border in what's now National Grasslands,south of Theodore Roosevelt NP, in June-July 1975. We were on a dinosaur fossil excavation project and all of our 5 vehicles were 2 wheel drive. Our access road was "Old Highway 16" which ran, and still runs, north from Marmarth, ND up to Medora, Golva, and Beach, ND. The dig was in part in the ditch along this "main road". We had an unseasonable system of thunderstorms provide us with 2 days of rain. It took the public road 3 days to become drivable again, and even then it was snotty.

The badlands in both western ND and SD are made up primarily of volcanic ash. They weather to highly expanding and water-absorbing gumbo clay, so when they get heavy rain, not much moves. As the storm system approached, a rancher who lived nearby (near in western ND terms--about 10 miles from the dig), came by and implored us not to drive on the road until it was dry, as the ruts cut by those driving too soon could only be repaired by grading the whole length of the road. He made it clear that he, other ranchers, and the Slope County Roads supervisor would be highly annoyed if we cut their roads up.

"Impassible when wet" is real-world in the badlands underlain by the Hell Creek Formation's ash beds.

Foy

TripLeader

Explorer
THANKS for the replies. Ghostingrey if you don't mind I may pick your brain as we start really planning the trip. We both look froward to the trip as we have been talking about it for years but always seem to end up somewhere else.

Tripleader if possible I'd like to quiz you too?

Your trip looks amazing and makes me want to leave today ;)

Thanks. Ask away!

TripLeader

Explorer
...and implored us not to drive on the road until it was dry, as the ruts cut by those driving too soon could only be repaired by grading the whole length of the road. He made it clear that he, other ranchers, and the Slope County Roads supervisor would be highly annoyed if we cut their roads up...

I can see, from my short time there, how the ruts left would stay there and take a lot of work to remove

TripLeader

Explorer
Part Seventeen [Driving Out on Old Quinn Road]
The next morning it was cooler and overcast. I packed up my gear and headed out. I came to a small stream crossing. It was a sturdy, rock-lined surface.
P1160353.jpg
----------
I spied a couple of Pronghorns. I think my Jeep spooked them. However, instead of running away they ended up paralleling me in a ziz-zag fashion.
P1160355.jpg
----------
Then, as previously shown in the thread, I came to this boggy section. I was able to skirt around it on a dry spot without an issue.
P1160360.jpg
----------
I saw one last coyote as I continued on.
P1160362.jpg

Last edited:

TripLeader

Explorer
Part Eighteen [The Missile and the End]
The road would eventually take me to Interstate 90. But, just before leaving the dirt road, there's an old underground missile silo. It's been modified to an exhibit now.
P1160363.jpg
----------
It's surrounded by chain-link fence with barbed wire on top, but the gate is left open for foot traffic to get up close for a short, self-guided tour.
P1160365.jpg
----------
The cover has been modified so you can see down into the silo.
P1160367.jpg
----------
Looking through the glass. It's a training missile in there now, for display purposes only.
P1160368.jpg
----------
After spending about 10 minutes, I left. I drove out past my last cattle-guard, hit the interstate, and headed out.
P1160369.jpg
----------
Well, that's all for the report. Thanks for reading, and hopefully it can be useful to others for trip planning.

Last edited:

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Great report.. thank you for sharing.

I'v been out that way several times, camped within the Grasslands also but don't recognize your pics. I remember heading into the Grasslands from a small town called Scenic.

Beautiful area.

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Nice! :)

We were through the area last month on our way back from Colorado. Time was tight, and weather was very poor so about the only thing we saw were a heard of Buffalo, needles hwy (lots of fog and rain) and it had cleared up a bit to see mt Rushmore. But the rest of our 2 days in the area were dismal.

TripLeader

Explorer
Great report.. thank you for sharing.

I'v been out that way several times, camped within the Grasslands also but don't recognize your pics. I remember heading into the Grasslands from a small town called Scenic.

Beautiful area.
I never made it to Scenic. Maybe next time.

Nice! :)

We were through the area last month on our way back from Colorado. Time was tight, and weather was very poor so about the only thing we saw were a heard of Buffalo, needles hwy (lots of fog and rain) and it had cleared up a bit to see mt Rushmore. But the rest of our 2 days in the area were dismal.

Sorry to hear about the rainy weather. One of my favorite things there was the morning and evening light on the rocks.

XJINTX

Explorer
OK, I need to revive this thread and ask for input. I want to plan my trip for this year. I'd like to go as soon as practical and not have access to areas and roads closed. What would be a safe starting date? I'm going to be taking my F250 with an FWC camper so a bit heavy.... but more comfortable for long trip with my wife.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior