bumpers

punisher1130

Adventurer
I'm wanting a custom bumper up for the front on my truck, I think it would be cheaper that way instead of the only 2 options I have for my truck but I seem to have a hard time making my mind up on which would suit my needs better. The environment I plan to be running through would be woods, rocks, water and mud ( southern terrain). What I'm wanting to have something relatively light weight ( since it is a daily) but still strong enough to not get destroyed so easy. My question is would a tube bumper be lighter and/or stronger then plate bumpers or are they more or less equal?

I should add that the 2 bumpers available for my truck on the market weight about 110 bare bones and start at $525 for the cheaper one. I have been told that is a good price and my truck wouldn't feel the bumper but I still have a feeling there could be better so I thought I'd ask and get more then 1 opinion.

Last edited:

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
What truck are you adding this to?

Also, tube bumpers do tend to be lighter weight, depending on how they're assembled. Also, what features are you wanting to add?

punisher1130

Adventurer
Its a 99 Dodge Dakota, as for design wise I like the simplicity of the ranch hand bumper design they have always been a rugged but very clean look to me so I figure to use them as the base idea and just make adjustments to fit what I am looking for. As for attachments just what is needed for upfront, pole jack lift point, couple lights, recovery points, a winch is on the list but haven't made up my mind on if I want it mounted to the bumper or use a winch tray to leave at home and pack it when I hit the trails.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
I spent nearly 3 times that $525 you mentioned on my custom bumper.

I went plate. I like the look over tube. Mine probably weighs around 115 lbs.

A tube bumper will probably less expensive than a plate.

punisher1130

Adventurer
I spent nearly 3 times that $525 you mentioned on my custom bumper.

I went plate. I like the look over tube. Mine probably weighs around 115 lbs.

A tube bumper will probably less expensive than a plate.

The bumper I mentioned was plate as well, its from tactical bumpers and for $525 they are giving nothing but a bare steel bumper with nothing on it, not even paint. They charge extra for anything added to the bumper so to have it painted and set up it turns into a 1k bumper in 3 seconds. There is a company that has a ranch hand looking bumper for my truck but it starts at $700 and doesn't really look all that well, that's why I have the feeling of having one built would be cheaper and better since I am not wanting anything really crazy just something simple that will protect the truck but not weigh it down.

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
Google that name and also search Kennesaw Mountain ......

Good fab work isn't cheap.. Quality custom work is not cheap. Sometimes you can find a fab shop looking to launch a new line or just getting started. In these cases you are going to get a better deal. The bumpers with higher tags have R&D built into the price.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
The point Cummins was trying to make, and I'll save you the time of doing the research, is that Tactical Bumpers is just the latest name of a company that sells shoddy (****ty) bumpers with half assed bugger welds and the worst customer service in the business.

Your two best options would be either a reputable local fab shop, one that has an excellent reputation and a BBB recognized good standing, or a shop that specializes in fab work for your particular vehicle. That second option keeps the price down by selling only specific bumpers for specific models, thus reducing R&D work. Also, make sure you get a detailed, contractual warranty on the bumper, certifying what is and is NOT safe working loads and conditions and review that before you buy.

I purchased a rear bumper with a swing arm tire mount for my 91' Bronco for around $900. Now, that price includes features like the receiver hitch tube and shackle points built in as well as a guaranteed fit, but no weight rating on the hitch tube, with some good reasoning on their part that I can agree with. Specifically, people doing stupid stuff with a hitch that they shouldn't. The shop also specialized in late model ford broncos and the equivalent generations of F series pickups when it came to fab work. That kept the cost from R&R down, while allowing the quality, which is impressive, to remain high.

Now, why do you need a custom front bumper? I was able to add all the features you want to my stock front bumper. Except for the high lift mount, but then, I don't need it.

punisher1130

Adventurer
I had planned on avoiding Tactical do to their reputation, I just listed them because they are one of only 2 people that have bumpers for my truck. The other company is Touch Country and that have the style I actually like but their price starts at $1200 which it way out of my price reach so with that I feel I could have the same thing made for less. I do have a weld shop down the street from my work and they do any work including making and installing wheel chair lifts into cars. They even have a huge s10 mud truck they built them selves for advertisement so that is one option, but ill have to look around where I live to see what I can find around here ( just moved here still learning what is around). The reason I am wanting a better bumper is because the stock front bumper is mostly plastic which is easy to mount things to but don't hold up well so I am wanting something stronger but not too heavy. That is why I like the ranch hand style, from what I have seen they are strong, pretty light and even if I had that style with nothing added I still have the option to add on later if need be, at least that's how I see it.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
The reason Tactical makes them so cheap is that they have plans for each bumper and can cut all the material ahead of time. They may possibly have a jig too.

If you go custom, it won't be cheaper...... unless you find some sucker that either doesn't want to make money or does a half *** job. You're looking at spending at least $1000. Custom will require a lot of time with cardboard making templates and fitting it all together.

punisher1130

Adventurer
For my truck it looks like 1k will be the price either way for bumpers but the design I have in my head may allow the price to drop some, maybe I'm only guessing on that. Unless I manage to be the test bed for a company to make bumpers for these trucks but I don't think that will happen lol.

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
Option two:

Find a local kid at the community college learning 3d modeling software ( Solidworkds, Creo, NX, Solid Edge) offer some pizza and beer to help you design your bumper in CAD. Use card board to design/refine. Take said flat DXF files to a local CNC plasma shop or Laser cutting shop ( more common then you would think) Have them pre-cut your design, take cut parts to a competent welder to buzz it down. Get on a couple of forums --cough cough and see if you cant get a couple of other Dakota owners to join in on the adventure. Most fab shops will eat you alive if you want one-off. Show up with 5 orders and now you might be worth the discount. This sounds like a lot of steps but you will save money and get the features you are looking for.

Rockhounder

Explorer
Here is what I did. Used cardboard sheet and 2" cardboard tube material. cut everything up and taped together to fit perfectly over existing suburban bumper, goes on like a glove, then bolts to original bumper bolts and frame.

Cut the plate steel with a plasma cutter, then did a lot of welding (tack) to put it all together, and ensure fit. Then on to final welding and finish/paint.

It has 1/4' plate for the verticals, 1/16" sheet between the 2" thick wall tube. Overall weight is under 100 pounds. parts and materials came to about $400, paid a super welder friend(retired Lockheed SR71 body welder) $200 to weld it up

20131113_101419.jpg20131121_172910.jpg20131125_095009.jpg20141124_175037.jpg

punisher1130

Adventurer
Holy **** that's a huge bumper, but looks really good and mean on your 'burban though rockhounder, love the old chevys. Seeing that I am a hands on person I think that method will be better for me and I may be able to get some boxes from my work and my moms work. All I really need is thick wall 1'' rectangle stock for the verticals , thick wall 3'' tube stock to go from fender to fender under the headlights. 1 1/2'' ( maybe 2'') tube stock for the headlight guards and for support bars at the ends of the 3'' tube, and a thin sheet of diamond plate no bigger than 1/8'' mainly to dress it up and to use to mount lights for the final build ( at least that is the idea). But ill use boxes for mock up to start just to make sure its right before spending the serious money. Luckily my factory bumper is only held on by 4 bolts so it should be easy to remove for mock up if need be.

Last edited:

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
It has 1/4' plate for the verticals, 1/16" sheet between the 2" thick wall tube. Overall weight is under 100 pounds. parts and materials came to about $400, paid a super welder friend(retired Lockheed SR71 body welder) $200 to weld it up
View attachment 311888

Can you please run some flat strap along your verticals. That is just dangerous and will cut anything you hit in 1/2. If you are looking to see how to do a proper job check out the ARB ones. They are designed to rigorous safety standards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior