'79 K30 CREWCAB

sweet trav

Adventurer
so we purchased it a year or so ago and have mainly used it for hauling firewood and moving furniture...BUT...I just invested a small fortune (for me) into the suspension (from ORD) and am looking at a utility bed to install and then a camper for family trips or hunting trips. We would most likely tow our built '97 LC if we wanted to do some exploring around the basecamp (K30 campsite).

...we'll see what happens and if this evolves into a build thread then I'm sure I'll need some info and help from you guys with experience...thanks in advance! :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    551.7 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    563.3 KB · Views: 50

underdrive

jackwagon
Hope you also got the steering box braces from ORD, you'll need them :D

Nice looking truck tho, should be pretty good for what you want. Not sure I'd ditch the pickup box for a flat bed, doing so deprives you of the ability to use a camper shell on the truck and thus be able to camp without the big camper on it... Just something to consider.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
The beauty of older, heavy duty trucks is that you can do just about anything you want with them. What are the details like engine and running gear?

sweet trav

Adventurer
Hope you also got the steering box braces from ORD, you'll need them :D

Nice looking truck tho, should be pretty good for what you want. Not sure I'd ditch the pickup box for a flat bed, doing so deprives you of the ability to use a camper shell on the truck and thus be able to camp without the big camper on it... Just something to consider.

yep, I got the brace too and some other accesories like sway bar disconnects, etc.

not sure if I'll change the bed or not but looking at one with storage boxes now...need to take measurements to see what will work for our goals and needs.

sweet trav

Adventurer
Love those old K30 crew cabs. Flatbed and camper on that thing would make for a cool rig.

I had been looking on and off for years for one and then found this one the day after we recieved our tax refund about 20 minutes from us...that check was cashed and spent quickly! :)

sweet trav

Adventurer
Really nice K30! I am guessing you are a Reformer based on your signature?

Thanks!

...not reformed in the sense of the limited atonement view or really any of the reformed tenants specifically...I just like the focus those statements affirm...I'm just a non-denominational christian.

where in oside are you?

I lived in oside for about 10 years...beautiful but couldnt stand commifornia. :)

sweet trav

Adventurer
The beauty of older, heavy duty trucks is that you can do just about anything you want with them. What are the details like engine and running gear?

previous owner removed stock 350 and installed a 454...it has a four speed manual trans, well, 3 spd with a granny gear...4.11 gears (would prefer 4.56 maybe) and 37" hummvee tires...and yeah, I am hoping to do a rebuild and there are a lot of options. :)

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
previous owner removed stock 350 and installed a 454...it has a four speed manual trans, well, 3 spd with a granny gear...4.11 gears (would prefer 4.56 maybe) and 37" hummvee tires...and yeah, I am hoping to do a rebuild and there are a lot of options. :)

If that SM465 is mated to a 205 transfer case you have a bulletproof drivetrain there.

underdrive

jackwagon
I'd be tempted to stay with the 4.11 gears. Yes generally 4.56s and 36"/37" tires are a good match, however your transmission has a nice creeper gear to get you thru places that need low speed, and the 37s will help with engine speed (and MPG) on longer trips. That 454 should have all the torque needed to move the beast anyways even if the gears ain't quite "right".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste