Any suggestions for a single solar panel, 12v system, 100+ watts

RandyP

Adventurer
I'm putting two Renogy 100W "lightweight" panels on my Jeep Wrangler. These used to be called their "flexible panels" but from what I'm told they now bond them to a very thin sheet of aluminum to make them a little stronger, while still being crazy-light.

-Dan

Great idea for solar panels on top of a jeep TJ. But I will add them to the top of a FWC camper on a Ford F-250 pickup. I think I might just go with the heavier ones, more watts & might last longer for me.

RandyP

Adventurer
The more you can squeeze up there the merrier.

Yes, more watts.... The 150watt 39x39.5 panels won't quit fit between the ceiling vents on the FWC. But if I remove the rear roof rack which I have only used one time, I will have two spaces on the roof that will allow the more traditional sized 150-160 watt panels (2 of them). I think that 300 watts of solar power would work quite well for me.

RandyP

Adventurer
Really looking at the grape solar
160W MONO GS-S-160-FAB8
HIGH EFFICIENCY MONO-CRYSTALLINE SILICON PHOTOVOLTAIC MODULE

Mechanical Specifications
Characteristic Details
Cell Size 156mm x 156mm (6.14” x 6.14”)
Module Dimension (L x W x T) 1474mm x 660mm x 40mm (58.0” x 26.0” x 1.57”)
No. of Cells 4 x 9 = 36
Weight 12.0 kg (26.4 lbs)
Cable Length 900mm (35.4”) for positive (+) and negative (-)
Type of Connector MCIV
Junction Box IP65 or IP67 Rated
No. of Holes in Frame 8 install holes, 8 drain holes, 4 ground holes

Max System Voltage 1000V/600 V
Maximum Power Pmax 160 W (-5%, +5%)
Voltage at Maximum Power Point Vmpp 18.5 V
Current at Maximum Power Point Impp 8.65 A
Module Efficiency (%) 16.4%

320 watts, sounds good.

Last edited:

RandyP

Adventurer
OK, so the two solar panels weigh in at about 25# each, for a total of 50# added to the roof. Will be removing the old 80W panel and an aluminum roof rack from the back of the camper roof. But I figure the weight on the roof will still be greater when I'm done.
So first I need to do the 'roof lifter gas springs' mod to help me lift the roof more easily. I found some details at
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...A-Four-Wheel-Camper-Build?p=700957#post700957
There are links there for parts and others experience installing them. I think I'll use 60# rated gas springs in the rear and 40# rated gas springs in the front, mounted on the outside of the camper. Then I'll add 50# of solar panel to the roof.

deminimis

Explorer
I've had two different systems over the years. One of the best deals going, in my opinion, is any the Go Power (Carmanah) 160w systems. Available on Amazon with free ship. Here's a simple unit with controller and cable (contoller is able to handle up to 480 Watts or 500 (depending which one ships with it)): http://www.amazon.com/Go-Power-OVER...UTF8&qid=1447094577&sr=1-10&keywords=go+power

I just got this one to increase my current (pun) setup. Don't need the controller or cable as I already have a single PG panel and I replaced my former controller with this version back in the Spring, but it was a good deal.

RandyP

Adventurer
The Go Power solar panel kit looks good for $489. But I already have a solar controller. Looked at other Amazon go power stuff and found Go Power! GP-RV-160E 160W Solar Expansion Kit, it's one solar panel and two connectors, for $ 620, includes connectors and mounting hardware. The grape solar panel 160w unit that I was looking at is about $ 240. I wonder why the prices are so diverse ?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
For reference the LG 285 watt panels I'm putting on the house were $270 a piece and LG charges a premium price for there panels. The more I learn about this gear the more I see very over priced gear when being sold as a package.

The two Renogy panels I charge my little trailer set up with are good quality. Good enough for camping gear.

My house project with the LG panels is a big $ project and the LG panel size fit better. I'm doing enphase micro inverters one per panel. 29 panels. 29x285watts is a 8.2kwh system, going on a 5bd 3ba house with a pool and plugin hybrid. Looking forward to my bill being a $10 connection fee and a 3yr break even schedule. Forget the solar companies they were 2x the price of designing my own system ordering the kit from Renvu.com, then hiring a roofer and electrician to do the install with me. Permits and codes all being handled by me.

deminimis

Explorer
The Overlander kit is the same panel as the 160E, but comes with wire and controller, for a whole lot less than just the 160 w/ two "Y" connectors. I don't get it, but that's some crazy Amazon pricing right there. I wanted to upgrade my cable to MC4, so that's a bonus. I'll just flea bay the controller as I don't need two. I snagged a pair of Renogy branch connectors so I could daisy chain ($12.99). Now, there are claims out in the interwebs that there are a several companies that simply rebrand their panels that come from the same cheapie Chinese factory and that those panels do not always do as claimed. Those claims include Renogy and Grape (same low-rent panel, just rebranded). I don't know as I've never had their panels. I can tell you the old 110 Carmanah panel I have puts out the juice and has been flawless for 8/9 years. One solar panel store claims that USCG, and a host of other gov agencies often turn to Carmanah for their panels. Don't know about that, but I've been very impressed with my old and new Carmanah panels that I don't see me going a different route anytime soon. Had a Kyoocera panel on our former Sportsmobile and no complaints there either. Not sure where Carmanah mfrs their rigid panels (probably China), but I do know their flexible panels come from there. Thing is, they are so damn helpful, a quick email to Go-Power and I'm sure they'd tell you where they make their panels. So, in a nutshell, in my opinion, they are awesome and very well built, and their cust service has been fantastic. Folks claim on forums, etc., so take it for what it's worth, claim Grape, Renogy and the like, don't compare to Carmanah as far as real output and quality. I wish Go Power had a Mppt controller, but, alas, they do not, so a nice Morningstar is on my list (someday). Hope this helps.

Last edited:

RandyP

Adventurer
Looked for Carmanah Solar Panels and found this one :
CARMANAH CTI-160 160W 12V
Specifications
Cell type
Rated power (Pm)
Maximum power voltage (Vmp) Maximum power current (Imp) Open circuit voltage (Voc) Short circuit current (Isc) Voltage coefficient
Power coefficient
Current coefficient
Module efficiency
Maximum system voltage Series fuse rating
Weight
Dimensions
Frame type / material
Max power tolerance
Power Specifications calculated at STC:
• Irradiance: 1000 W/m2
• Cell Temperature: 77 °F (25 °C)
• Air Mass: 1.5
Monocrystalline 160W
18.42V
8.84A
22.8V
9.24A –0.31% / °C –0.39% / °C –0.045% / °C 16.5% 1000VDC 15A
27.6 lb (12.5 kg)
59.1 x 26.3 x 1.58 in 1500 x 668 x 40 mm
Clear anodized aluminum frame
+5 / -0

$339 at the SPS Store.

deminimis

Explorer
Now I feel like a tool because I thought I was awesome as I scored my Overlander for $420.

I was hoping this was the case, but wasn't positive:
made-in-canada.jpg

Damn, $50/panel for shipping to OR, but even so, that's a great price.

deminimis

Explorer
Actually the specs are just a little different than the RV version. Roughly, the RV version is 58.3" and 9.14amps and weighs 2# less. That said, my info could be old, the specs may have now changed and your panel listed above is the same. Damn, now I'm gong to email them as this is interesting.

deminimis

Explorer
What did I say? They already responded. Yup, the CTI-16 is the new panel they are using, so your specs are up to date. The Made in Canada designation makes it all the better. They sent me the spec sheet (PDF), but no need to print it here. Thank you for the SPS Store tip. Looked at them before, but didn't know they had such a good deal on these panels.

RandyP

Adventurer
Didn't intend to cause you any grief. Just could not understand the difference in price comparing the Grape solar 160 watt panel to the Carmanah panel. Most likely the Grape solar is made in China. I do see that the Carmanah is made in Canada.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior