Any suggestions for a single solar panel, 12v system, 100+ watts

RandyP

Adventurer
Now I feel like a tool because I thought I was awesome as I scored my Overlander for $420.

I was hoping this was the case, but wasn't positive:
made-in-canada.jpg

Damn, $50/panel for shipping to OR, but even so, that's a great price.

So that would be about $339 + $50 about $389 per panel delivered to CA for the Carmanah CTI-160 panel (made in Canada).

deminimis

Explorer
Also, just to make the record clear, the Overlander kit did come w/ the CTI-160 panel (checked the panel last night to verify).

deminimis

Explorer
Did you decide on a panel? I was about to order two more CTI-160 panels from SPS, but went a little nuts with the wallet and ordered an inverter and a bunch of assoc crap, so I'm tapped. Wondering if they come with the Z brackets when ordered from SPS? They haven't responded.

BigDan

Observer
I have a 32" x 62" mono , 200W panal on my rig....combined with a 30a MPPT controler for portable add on ) i`m totally satisfied

boondocking for weeks never a problem.......led lamps,laptop ,12V accessories ( cooler ) never out of juice )total cost $400.00 cdn

Dan

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I too would recommend the Go-Power Overlander Solar Kit 160 watt panel. The great thing about this product is it continues to provide good amperage in low sunlight, clouds, early morning, late afternoon, dappled sunlight etc.

We have tested various panels and they all provide good power in full sunlight, it's the marginal conditions that really separate the good units from the poor units.

The Go-Power products are very durable and will provide a long term solution for your power needs.

If you need help purchasing or fitting one of these systems give us a call, we have done a lot of them and know all the installation tricks.

RandyP

Adventurer
I have a 32" x 62" mono , 200W panal on my rig....combined with a 30a MPPT controler for portable add on ) i`m totally satisfied

boondocking for weeks never a problem.......led lamps,laptop ,12V accessories ( cooler ) never out of juice )total cost $400.00 cdn

Dan

More about the 200W panel please.
$400 cdn, Canadian?

RandyP

Adventurer
Did you decide on a panel? I was about to order two more CTI-160 panels from SPS, but went a little nuts with the wallet and ordered an inverter and a bunch of assoc crap, so I'm tapped. Wondering if they come with the Z brackets when ordered from SPS? They haven't responded.

No, I have not decided on a panel yet. Did complete the air-spring install on my FWC to help lift the roof with two new panels when I get them.

deminimis

Explorer
I did hear back from SPS. Sold out. Their favorite panel. Does not include mounts. Wind(something or whatever) on Amazon sells a 4 mount kit for under $10. About 1/2 the price of the GP mounts and they are basically the same. Something to file away for when/ if you need it.

RandyP

Adventurer
I too would recommend the Go-Power Overlander Solar Kit 160 watt panel. The great thing about this product is it continues to provide good amperage in low sunlight, clouds, early morning, late afternoon, dappled sunlight etc.

We have tested various panels and they all provide good power in full sunlight, it's the marginal conditions that really separate the good units from the poor units.

The Go-Power products are very durable and will provide a long term solution for your power needs.

If you need help purchasing or fitting one of these systems give us a call, we have done a lot of them and know all the installation tricks.

Do you have any quantative data comparing different solar panel performance in marginal conditions. I suppose comparing the output wattage of two panels mounted side by side (identical solar conditions) charging identical batteries in the same SOC using the same solar controler would be of great interest to me and others.

RandyP

Adventurer
Top One Solar - Solar Panel 200 Watt 12V Solar Panel Monocrystalline

I have only been able to find 1 single solar panel rated at 200W, optimum power voltage Vmp 18 volts ( used for a 12v battery charging system). It's from a company in Australia, low energy developments com.au:
http://www.lowenergydevelopments.com.au/Solar-Panel-200W-Monocrystalline-12V
The Redarc BCDC1225 battery charger with MPPT solar input controller I have is rated at 375 watts, over voltage shutdown instant at 29 v, after 20 sec at 28.2v. Input fuse is 40a for 12v operation. Output fuse Is also 40a.
Two of these 200w 12v system panels would put out max Imp of 11.12 a each or 22.12 amps in parallel. At 18v Vmp and 22.12 a Imp power would be about 398.16watts. Just over the rating of the battery charger 375w (not a good thing). But I suspect the charger would never see a demand from the batteries that would call for that many amps. The absorb voltage provided by the charger for AGM bats is 14.6 v max, 13.3 v float.
Now if I could just find a way to get a pair of these without paying for the shipping from AU.....

Last edited:

unseenone

Explorer
Check your documentation, it will probably just clip the excess, and most of the time it will not be anywhere near it's maximum output.

RandyP

Adventurer
Check your documentation, it will probably just clip the excess, and most of the time it will not be anywhere near it's maximum output.

I thought that might be the case. I did find one Canadian 200w 18v solar panel, but do not have any idea how to buy one.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0408/8521/files/195w_69e64115-daf6-4a55-bdff-fb50c5c5dd2c.pdf
Found several from China, but hesitate to buy direct from China.
http://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...184720472.html?spm=a2700.7724857.29.98.sJKtEr
http://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...80166672.html?spm=a2700.7724857.29.151.sJKtEr

It's ironic that I cannot find a one piece 200W solar panel for use in a 12V system for sale in the US.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Is there a reason you are limiting yourself to 12V panels?

Pushing to a 24 or 36V panel will be cheaper and the system will be more efficient when combined with a MPPT charge controller.

A single 24V 230 watt panel for instance on SOLARBVD right now is just $160

Combined with a good charge controller and you are at about 20AMPS of solar with just the one panel @ 14V

RandyP

Adventurer
Is there a reason you are limiting yourself to 12V panels?

Pushing to a 24 or 36V panel will be cheaper and the system will be more efficient when combined with a MPPT charge controller.

A single 24V 230 watt panel for instance on SOLARBVD right now is just $160

Combined with a good charge controller and you are at about 20AMPS of solar with just the one panel @ 14V

I am using a Redarc 25A in-vehicle 3-stage 12v battery charger (bcdc1225) to charge the aux batteries from the starting battery/alternator (Redarc.com.au). The in-vehicle charger also features a MPPT solar regulator, allowing delivery of max amount of solar power from the solar panels to the auxiliary batteries.

The BCDC has turn on/off thresholds. Over voltage shutdown for solar input is turn off instantly above 29V, turn off after 20 sec above 28.2V. So I figure any solar input voltage over 28.2V will shut down the dcbc battery charge.

The 24V and 36V nominal solar panels that I have looked at have a Vmp (optimum power voltage) greater than 28.2V. So I think the dcbc battery charger would shutdown immediately for over voltage if hooked up to these panels.

The solar panels I have looked at that work with 24V or 36V systems also have a rated open circuit voltage greater than 28.2V. Some MPPT controllers shut down and look at the solar panel voltage on a regular schedule to determine the MPP point to operate at given the current solar panel conditions. If the Redarc MPPT controler dose this, it might see a solar open circuit voltage, which is greater than 29 volts for most 24 & 36 V rated panels. This might shutdown the battery charger.

So I think that I need to stick with solar panels rated for 12V systems. But I'm not sure.....

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
If you already have equipment that isnt compatible with a 24v or 36v panel thats a problem.

With my 36V panels, I often see a panel voltage of over 40V

Most 24V panels I've seen in operation run just shy of 30V

Looking at the specs for the BCDC1225, I think there is a chance it would survive with a 24v system.

Website claims up to 32V input.

https://www.redarc.com.au/products/product/in-vehicle-battery-chargermppt-regulator-25a/

Also, the actual manual states right in it that it is designed to work with 24V panels.

https://www.redarc.com.au/images/up...225_25A_in-vehicle_battery_charger_130408.pdf

Either way, Id email one of their reps to see what they have to say about it.

At the end of the day you will get more watt for your dollar in panel(s) going 24V, and the system will operate more efficiently, taking more advantage of the MPPT funtion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94