• No

Votes: 29 17.8%

• Total voters

wADVr

Adventurer

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Yup, got me a fold out bunk bed...

and a area above the cab that is perfect for a girlfriend....

and me...:Wow1::drool::drool::):):):wings::wings:

Kevin108

Explorer
I have a bunch of ground tents but out on the trail it's not always possible to find a level, smooth spot. I slept inside my Jeep Cherokee a number of times. It was always comfortable and enjoyable but taking all my tools and gear out to setup the sleeping space was a pain. I've since bought a FJ Cruiser and RTT. No, you won't fit in parking garages with one, but a RTT is some first-class sleeping arrangements as far as I'm concerned.

2015-10-30%2010.43.15.jpg

McBride

Adventurer
I bought a small SUV custom conversion camper 2 years ago. Before that sleeping was either on the ground (open air) or in a backpacking tent.

I have to say that now that I have aged a bit I appreciate the 3" foam pad over the 3/4" backpacking foam pad. Not having to deal with lumpy ground and/or clumps of grass makes for a better sleeping experience.

For the last 4-5 years most of my camping/exploring has been in the winter. Having a camper/indoor space is really nice when cooking and just hanging out, especially during inclement weather. I'm 6' and can just stand up in it.

The guys who built the camper really made it utilitarian (rubber floors, formica walls) and the layout is great - lots of storage and a panorama of windows. It drives 2, sleeps 2 and eats/drinks 5 without feeling too crowded. Based on the G Wagen platform it does great on the dirt; 90% of my travels are offroad. It's my mini mobile condo!

Attachments

• LB back.jpg
    LB back.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 600
  • no head bolts closer.jpg
    no head bolts closer.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    515.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 031.JPG
    031.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 574
  • 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    517.4 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
I bought a small SUV custom conversion camper 2 years ago. Before that sleeping was either on the ground (open air) or in a backpacking tent.

I have to say that now that I have aged a bit I appreciate the 3" foam pad over the 3/4" backpacking foam pad. Not having to deal with lumpy ground and/or clumps of grass makes for a better sleeping experience.

For the last 4-5 years most of my camping/exploring has been in the winter. Having a camper/indoor space is really nice when cooking and just hanging out, especially during inclement weather. I'm 6' and can just stand up in it.

The guys who built the camper really made it utilitarian (rubber floors, formica walls) and the layout is great - lots of storage and a panorama of windows. It drives 2, sleeps 2 and eats/drinks 5 without feeling too crowded. Based on the G Wagen platform it does great on the dirt; 90% of my travels are offroad. It's my mini mobile condo!

Well...that is pretty dang cool. I could see doing that with a regular cab 3/4-1 ton truck.

jerdog53

Explorer
We have slept in the back of our LR3 4 times in the last 2 years. Once due to getting into camp late, twice due to rain and once due to the cold. We have a ground tent we normally use and a Snow Peak awning but you have to have all that set up before the rain starts.

DSC05109_zpsb9gyeiyk.jpg

We use a queen air mattress which coincidentally fits nicely in the back of the rover and everyone is warm and comfortable!

Silver dude

Xplorer
I do this as well on solo trips. I'm 6.3 and fit in my tiny Xterra just fine.
DSC09415.jpg

I have kiddy tent to set all my gear in outside like a portable garage, then sleep in the truck. Much easier to sleep in during a electrical storm. I use magnetic screens as well.

Might try it this winter not sure how it would fair in the cold. Common issue seems to be the dampness from breath and sunlight if in a exposed area. I guess just crack a window. I keep thinking about hanging a sheet inside to catch the dampness, block sun, increase warmth and aid privacy.

KE7JFF

Adventurer
I'm in the process of trying to figure out what I want to do for sleeping in the back of my '89 Suburban; first I need to better organize the back of the rig. I'm thinking of just making a clear area on the passenger side so I fold down the 40 side of the 60/40 split rear seat so I can put down my sleeping bag, however, I do want to see if my cot can work in the back.

Hnoroian

Observer
I've slept in every vehicle I have ever owned. My favorite was my 66 beetle that I had in high school. The front seats reclined flat and gave over 6 feet worth of lay down room. Now with a wife the story is alittle different...

DIY Guy

Observer
One of the primary functions of the Callen Topper. I had a shell for a while but the extra space made all the difference!
20151024_134123.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne