How to make an "all-road" Audi A4 wagon

hamishpotter

Observer
Hello folks,

I'm posting for a friend who's really interested in 'rallifying' his stock 2012 Audi A4 wagon. I did some digging and couldn't find much online so I thought I'd take a gamble up here. He'd like to get some more clearance, change up wheels and tires, and generally make it more stout (i.e. skidplates or anything else).

Any contributions will be much appreciated!

James

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Just spent the weekend with a friend that just dropped $1800 into his All Road air ride. Before that they pulled the engine replaced turbos adressed some leaks and replaced the transmission big$$$$$$. He only did this because hes the original owner and its a rare manual transmission car. 272,000 miles many of which are camping trips.

His advice? Get a 4dr Tacoma and enjoy having money to do trips with.

FLoffroad1

Observer
Maybe look for a local shop to CNC some custom HDPE spacers. I'd recommend nothing more than 1in in height. They'd just go between the top of the strut/stock and the body.

It's fairly common with Subarus, and I know some people did it on Golfs. I'm not sure how a newer Audi might react; tolerances might be tighter and spacers might rile some safety system or something.

He's not in a very good place when it comes it tires (~26in, with 17in wheels?). I've heard of people running the Firestone Winterforce year-round; it has a pretty aggressive tread pattern.

hamishpotter

Observer
Thanks guys!

He already has a JK, but would like to make his wagon more rugged for the fire roads, beaches, winter etc.

fike

Adventurer
The best wagons to try this with are currently Subarus. I haven't seen anything substantial when it comes to modifications to Audis or Volvos or any of the more pricey cars. There seems to be a bit of a renaissance starting for offroad/rally Subaru mods, but aside from the traditional jeeps, toyotas, and other trucks, I think Subaru is the best bet in the rugged wagon category.

hamishpotter

Observer
Good question. Am not sure, but also looking for more beef than the OEM allroad.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Viggen

Just here...
Just spent the weekend with a friend that just dropped $1800 into his All Road air ride. Before that they pulled the engine replaced turbos adressed some leaks and replaced the transmission big$$$$$$. He only did this because hes the original owner and its a rare manual transmission car. 272,000 miles many of which are camping trips.

His advice? Get a 4dr Tacoma and enjoy having money to do trips with.

Wrong car. You are talking about the C5 A6 based allroad (no caps). It is a fantastic car but is also one that does require a good amount of PM. He is talking about an A4 which Audi make into the next Allroad.

OP, OEM Allroad is not much different than a regular one. The ride height is not much different but it does have tack on fender flares. It really is not much of a package. You do get about 7" of ground clearance. Not too much more than the regular avant. The Allroad stuff should fit your friends car. What is he trying to do with it? Is he shooting for scenester points?

hamishpotter

Observer
Nah I just think he wants more range out of his wagon. Based on his old Subaru gl wagon's duty he will put it to use. We surf regularly and I think a bit more clearance will get him a beach pass for winter surf.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

vwhammer

Adventurer
There would be limits without going to crazy custom built stuff but I have no doubts that you can lift any of the later Audis.
No matter how much you lift it the bottom line is that it will never be as simple as the Subaru lifts are.

I have a B5 A4 Avant and have considered lifting it many times.
I have not seen to much under any of the later models but I think the designs are still pretty similar to the early stuff.
You could lift it a bit (less than 2 inches) with some coil overs to clear some moderately sized tires.
The lift combined with bigger tires would get you a bit more clearance under the car.
However if you want to go higher you would likely be doing some subframe and upper control arm/strut spacers.

The only extra clearance under the diffs with the subframe spacer arrangement would be from the ability to fit a little larger tire.
All of the suspension bits would maintain their relation to each other.
They would just simply (or maybe not so simply) be spaced further away from the body of the car to give you more room in the fender wells.

I think this method along with some body trimming would be the way to go.

Or perhaps subframe spacers and some coilovers and body trimming.

Every time I look at my Avant I can almost picture it on some 27 or 28 inch tires.
However, I actually have an Impreza outback sport on which I just finished installing a lift.
The Audi is my wifes car and I am having trouble convincing her that it should be lifted when I really don't have a concrete game plan on how to do it.
It would also surely cost a lot more to lift than my Subaru did once I got into some proper coilovers for offroad/rally use.

worthingtontw

Observer
Tell him to put C303 axles under it like this XC70 :sombrero:

04.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles