Tiny S&S custom

calstar

Observer
I got this several months ago, went to Burning Man and a couple of other closer trips. I was told this was a custom build for a fellow that lived in Montana near the S&S factory, they made it to his specs as a hunting "bunkhouse"(just two beds and a propane heater, nothing else). Haven't seen any other S&S like it even on the net(one pic on the net but I'm sure its the same one). Anyway it is one of the very few hard sided campers that my 2000 Sliverado(camper is also a 2000) can carry with its measly 1000lb payload capacity. Ive added a house battery and 100 watt solar system to it, reconfigured the bunks, removed the heater(I live in so cal and don't plan on doing any cold camping destinations), added some interior and exterior LED lights(with dimmers, nice to dial in the brightness I want) and will add more upgrades as I my needs/wants allow. I like the fact my tailgate stays on, makes for a nice deck, table, etc.

Really nothing compared to the awesome campers posted here, but hey, its paid for, I love it and use it! I'll post pics of the mods I'm done as the process continues, mostly to show other 1/2 ton owners that it is possible to a have a basic hard side, low budget camper that will meet simple needs. Oh yeah, this obviously is not an expedition outfit, just a camper that allows for good times.

Brian

IMG_3437_zps5ah9ybk6.jpg

IMG_8168_zpse5r5znwz.jpg

IMG_3339_zps42x3bnuc.jpg

IMG_8176_zpsqeqdbmkr.jpg

S

Squatchout

No need to apologize. That's a neat camper. From time to time someone pokes their head into the camper forums looking for something exactly like that. I like it!:)

Dusty-NZ

Observer
Yeah , that's really sweet , compact and light weight .
I understand the limitations of a 1/2 ton , my pickup is at the limit with my wee camper , but while it's still fun , it's all good :)

STANG302

Observer
I've been looking for something just like that.

Only found two that are close the Capri Cowboy and Travel Lite Rayzr.

freedomrider

Ordinary average guy
That's a nice setup. I like the simplicity of it. I don't think my pop-up adds much in terms of real utility. Most of the frill things in more built up campers are just more stuff to worry about and take up valuable space.

calstar

Observer
Just saw these latest posts, didn't think there'd be any interest but I will post some pics in the next few days.

Just curious, what does your whole rig weight with that in the bed? Me too! Weighing it has been on my "to do list" but just haven't got around to it, next time its on I will get it weighed.

thanks for the comments,

Brian

calstar

Observer
Found a few pics of starting interior mods from last July shortly after I bought it, updates will follow.

the beds were on fixed frames, not the best use of space, I wanted more flexibility so out they went
IMG_8183_zpsefwkcfps.jpg

propane heater went too, won't be doing any really cold camping and the space seems more valuable to me so....
IMG_8193_zpssmspvbe3.jpg

IMG_8196_zpss6x2t7ma.jpg

IMG_8201_zpsmhq4qeyv.jpg

crude storage space also went
IMG_8178_zpspx9ut1zi.jpg

Brian

calstar

Observer
With the permanent bunks gone I used a piano hinge to mount the new base structure supported by a cleat at the front window end and a simple drop down leg at the entrance. Storage under the bunks is much more convenient without the fixed frame in place. Its plenty strong in the down position , sort of a torsion box with the bottom solid so you can sit or store items on it when folded in the up position, Lots of flexibility as it is now, one or both can be up. All the wood used was either salvaged or had it my wood scraps collection, zero $ outlay for it which is a bonus.

IMG_8714_zpsymvu7vjq.jpg

IMG_8715_zpswqdsgkbx.jpg

supporting leg is hinged and drops down when bed is opened, a simple latch keeps it in place on the floor, obviously cosmetic work still needed but not a priority at this point
IMG_8716_zpsx0gmwj9b.jpg

IMG_8730_zpsf7hih5ec.jpg

both beds up, then down, vented battery box with inverter on top lives under the right bunk
IMG_8722_zpsqxkpxbjm.jpg

IMG_8731_zpsdll5fgno.jpg

I'll post a few more pics of other simple mods soon.

Brian

Last edited:

calstar

Observer
S&S solar install

I knew little to nothing about solar installs but jumped in and figured the basics out, pretty easy actually. System includes a Blue Sky Sun Charger 30 controller, Samlex 600 inverter, Blue Sea fuse block, Home Depot panel, some leds and dimmers from Amazon. I could have saved $ by getting a cheaper inverter and controller but decided these will last me a long time and easily moved to whatever. Panel is mounted on 2"x3" alum square tubing(elevated to keep it cooler) from a metal scrap yard; tubing is lag bolted to camper roof joists/rafters and panel on it, plan to install hinges on the panel so I change the angle to the sun. Using an interstate marine battery in a box I made, hinged top that the inverter sits on, vents to the outside. Both interior and exterior leds are controller by dimmers, each individual light has an on/off switch so I can select what I want to have on.

IMG_8704_zpsyh5ydzcx.jpg

IMG_8705_zpspdowgoq7.jpg

solar in to controller, vent from bat box
IMG_8711_zpse4wptjrr.jpg

IMG_8751_zpslt5mktui.jpg

IMG_8752_zpsnqsfysxb.jpg

light under new shelf and central light
IMG_8747_zpsqhkvoxth.jpg

IMG_8753_zpsaowgfmds.jpg

three exterior lights at rear center and sides, dimmer mount for ext lights above rear door needs cosmetic finishing! each of the lights has its separate on/off switch
IMG_8732_zpsasserqte.jpg

IMG_8733_zpskpz5ymdk.jpg

IMG_8726_zpssxwt4r69.jpg

Brian

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior