Captain Texas Anvil JKU build

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
That's awesome! :beer:

Yeah, this stuff can be addicting. I keep everything in folders, but never look at the invoices.
All that stuff is just for the "next owner" down the road... lol

unkamonkey

Explorer
That's awesome! :beer:

Yeah, this stuff can be addicting. I keep everything in folders, but never look at the invoices.
All that stuff is just for the "next owner" down the road... lol
I went through my file cabinet and I have a file for everything I own except for the Harley I just sold. I don't know where those invoices went? Perhaps it's better if I don't know about what I spent on it.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Jeep is Back!

Alright so the Jeep is back and I'm feeling pretty happy right now. :sombrero:

AEV Tire Carrier is awesome! It is a little tight when closing the tailgate but I have no complaints with it. I love the fact of how utilitarian it is. It can hold a Hi-Lift, Pull-Pall, 10 gallons of extra fuel with the AEV caddy, lights, CB/HAM antennas, spare shovel, etc. Build quality is superb and I believe it was worth the money. The only thing that is a down side is the fact that my rear-view mirrors usefulness is diminished but I can still see out the back.

The water tanks were re-plumbed and ready to go for use. :bike_rider:

Also, got the front crush can covers replaced and they are as good as new. The can itself on the passenger side... eh not so much. But hey, out of sight, out of mind. I will try to get the can replaced sometime in the future but right now it is not a chief concern.

Here are the before and after shots:
8ieliyR.jpg

W6qo7gN.jpg

6L0EOFp.jpg

After:
UNCsVzn.jpg

YVRYnuA.jpg

o8PhZ54.jpg

And the new crush can cover:
JHqtDHd.jpg

Last edited:

Captain Texas

Adventurer
FINALLY! IT HAPPENED!

Well today was a great day. Not really for the weather as it was by dismal, but I finally got new tires for the Jeep today!

I got 315/70 R17 BFG KO2 All Terrains. I really like the revisions they did on the KO2 regarding the sidewalls and I love the tread design overall.

I got them mounted on the set of Rubicon wheels I got in March and went to Discount tire to get them mounted. Surprisingly they didn't say anything about the wheel being "too narrow" and mounted them up no problem. The only thing is is that they only had 4 tires in stock so they are ordering another one that should be here on Monday. As of now, I don't have a spare, oh well.

I really like them and I am very surprised how quite they are on the road. I haven't done any highway driving yet, just around town driving. Regardless, I like them ALLOT!. We are supposed to have really heavy rain over the next few days so I guess I will also try out how they handle in the wet.

All I have now is just iPhone photos, but I plan to take DSLR shots once the weather clears up.

vlRhBeS.jpg

uZs68Ko.jpg

I also got a small mod in the mail the other day. An aluminum Carolina Metal Masters footman loop. Install was a breeze, just unbolting the factory loop and bolting on the new one. I really like the quality of it. I don't really plan to carry kayaks and secure them to the footman loop, but I am really a sucker for details and this one caught my eye. Also... I hate plastic. :)

Before:
woeYi0M.jpg

RQznag1.jpg

After:
2wYg5PR.jpg

9gEmL3R.jpg

Last edited:

Captain Texas

Adventurer
So I have put about 500 miles on the Jeep with the BFGs and I am really happy with the decision. Yes, the 35's run small (about 33.8") but I really like them regardless. They drive great, ride great, are surprisingly quite on the road, and do everything I need them to do.

However as a result of the extra weight of tires, armor, etc, the breaking distances of my Jeep are pretty awful. I am looking at getting a Dynatrac Pro-Grip kit installed. Does anyone have experience running this? I am interested but the cost is kinda high, especially after getting tires. :drool:

I switched out the adjustment bolt for the AEV tire carrier a month ago and while I was able to mount the spare no problem other than flipping the 3rd brake light bracket around, the screw I ordered was too long. It is tightened up all the way and the bolt clears the tailgate by about 2cm. I ordered shorter bolts that I hope to swap out this Friday. Oh, and I said goodbye to rear visibility. RIP.

I recently went on a hunting trip this weekend and got 2 deer; great weekend. I didn't get to do any off-roading with my Jeep but I was able to snag a few pictures of it with my Nikon before I left the ranch. Note to self: A Trasharoo works great for keeping dirty, blood soaked, and smelly gear outside the Jeep and not in. So glad I bought it.

kHS68TC.jpg

u5ZQ0Bg.jpg

xYTBYIM.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94