Jack ideas

caprocker

Ive got an opportunity to buy a very good pop up truck camper that fits my truck perfectly. The drawback is no jacks. My truck is my daily drive and i dont want to leave the camper on permanently. Im noticing that the cost of jacks is outlandish. Do you guys have any suggestions? Its looking like jacks could cost more than the camper itself.

MotoDave

Explorer
Does your camper have the jack brackets on each corner?

It wouldn't be hard to fabricate something that bolts on to those and uses something like the screw jack levelers designed for scaffolding:
http://www.amazon.com/Titan-ALBP-TITAN-Scaffold-Leveling/dp/B004BG15QC

Be warned it'll take you a WHILE to jack the camper up enough to drve out from under it - I personally think you're better off buying at the very least a pair of the tripd type jacks as bill linked.

I jsut bought an older FWC that only came with tripod jacks, and I'll likely be building jack brackets and buying 4 corner jacks= (used if I can, I agree they arent cheap new)

Last edited:

caprocker

Does your camper have the jack brackets on each corner?

It wouldn't be hard to fabricate something that bolts on to those and uses something like the screw jack levelers designed for scaffolding:
http://www.amazon.com/Titan-ALBP-TITAN-Scaffold-Leveling/dp/B004BG15QC

Be warned it'll take you a WHILE to jack the camper up enough to drve out from under it - I personally think you're better off buying at the very least a pair of the tripd type jacks as bill linked.

I jsut bought an older FWC that only came with tripod jacks, and I'll likely be building jack brackets and buying 4 corner jacks= (used if I can, I agree they arent cheap new)

I have thought of all these options. Right now my best bet is a set of 3 rieco Titan tripod jacks for 417$.. I guess I'll have to pay to play..the camper itself doesn't have any brackets on it..it's a 98 sun lite that is basically unused. The jacks will be a good investment.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I built my own jacks when I built my camper.

Pretty intengral part of the camper that you dont want to fail, EVER

Ive got less than a few hundred dollars wrapped up in mine.
Building them myself also allowed be to build them properly.
Camper nearly sits on the ground when jacks are all the way down.

chassis13.jpg

chassis12.jpg

chassis238.jpg

rotti

Adventurer
I used tripod jacks from a tool rental store for years. Price, as I recall, was around $20.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Those are some nice crank jacks there!

I've finally decided to go ahead and find a way to get the camper on and off the truck. I think what I'm going to do is use a pair of chain hoists from the rafters of the work shop (with additional vertical support outside of the one furthest from the outside wall) and some chain slings connected to some kind of brackets on the side shelves of the camper. I'll let you know how it goes! I'm hoping to keep it all around $100.

caprocker

Those are some nice crank jacks there!

I've finally decided to go ahead and find a way to get the camper on and off the truck. I think what I'm going to do is use a pair of chain hoists from the rafters of the work shop (with additional vertical support outside of the one furthest from the outside wall) and some chain slings connected to some kind of brackets on the side shelves of the camper. I'll let you know how it goes! I'm hoping to keep it all around $100.

truth be told i actually thought about this too. i dont have a barn to use but i do have a 30' mesquite tree that could serve that purpose..i also have access to an a frame that i could use....still leaning toward making the investment..so many of my DIY's and cheapo experiments end up being not so cheap..these are all grea ideas.

I really like the home built jack system IDASHO..i wish i had the resources and skill to build that myself..we do have a tool rental place here in town and i may look into that.

Randy_Linex

I actually just had to buy a set of jacks. Did research for a week and these are the cheapest I found and an exact match of whats already on my 1985 Skamper 080S. Can't beat this deal. I ordered yesterday at 11:30 and wife said they were delivered today at 12:30. That's overnight shipping for free!!!

http://www.dyersonline.com/rieco-titan-standard-tripod-camper-jack-3-pack.html

EDIT! Caprocker...I just noticed your name and location. If you need to borrow my jacks to get a camper off your truck, let me know. How far are you from Childress?

Last edited:

caprocker

randy its a small world! im in big spring..pretty good piece from you. Those rieco titan jacks are exactly what ive been looking for and a much cheaper price than i've found...if i make this deal happen i will definitely be using that site. I coach here so my opportunities to leave are very few. I will probably make a run to look at this camper sunday afternoon after i get off work. thanks for showing me that website...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior