Big Bend Trip - Lifted ZJ or stock WJ???

Octotat

Observer
Hey gang,

I'm planning a trip to Big Bend NP/SP in late December and was trying to decide if I should drive my new (to me) stock 2001 WJ or my rough and ready 1995 ZJ that has a 2" lift, 31x10.50s, winch bumper, attachments points, etc. I'll be driving from Chattanooga TN and the WJ would be SO much nicer on the highway, but the ZJ would be infinitely better if there is any real off road in the parks. The WJ only has 70,000 miles on it with street tires, and the ZJ has 185,000 hard miles with a fair amount of shimmies and driveline vibration.

The WJ is meant for highway trips and my 90 mile round trip commute, so I don't want to lift and and wheel it much. If all the roads are just dirt roads and not really trails, it would be fine.

My plan is to remote camp as much as possible.

Thanks for the advice!

Octo

Joe917

Explorer
Take the WJ you will have no problems in the park. The back country is great but don't miss Chisos basin.
Joe.

jpat30

Adventurer
WJ x 2. A friend went out to Big Bend last year in his JK and advised you could easily do it for the most part in a stock 4x4. I would ditch the street tires though and go with a good AT. I have an 04 WJ and you would be surprised at what they are capable of with just a good set of rubber under them. Good luck on your trip and enjoy.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
WJ would probably be smarter decision especially with the long drive, ZJ would probably be fairly miserable with the vibes and shimmy. My only concern is the tires you have on the WJ, I've heard that Big Bend has some wicked thorns that make tires look like water balloons. Otherwise you should be fine.

DougC

Observer
Just got back..drove 7 hours from San Antonio to the park in a JKU with a 3.5 inch AEV lift and 35 inch tires. If you stay on the trails (and lets face it, you should because going off the trails causes erosion!) you will be fine with whatever 4x4 you drive. River Road has great views! Take plenty of water. Remember to check out the hot springs and enjoy the trip!

Octotat

Observer
Thanks for the advice on using the street tire clad WJ. I was planning on going overboard with water, I've never regretted having too much water. I probably won't haul it all the way from TN though. I'm about to replace the tires on the WJ anyway, suggestion for a really good highway tire that would hold up well in that thorny region? I don't want to go with an aggressive AT since 99% of this Jeeps life will be on pavement for the foreseeable future.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
I don't want to go with an aggressive AT since 99% of this Jeeps life will be on pavement for the foreseeable future.

BFG KO2s are aggressive but pretty tame on the highway if that helps any. But for something that better suits your pavement princess;) BFG offers the Rugged Terrain which is a much milder version of the KO2. Otherwise, Michelin may have something up your alley. You can never go wrong with Michelin.

BigOrca

Cooper at3's. A buddy of mine has run them on all 3 of his 4runners, and wouldn't change a thing. We did a 6500 mile trip over the summer and hit everything from the Mojave road, to Black Bear pass without an issue. They're also quiet and comfortable on the highway.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I like my Grabbers but if I did more road trips I think I'd go for the silent armor. They get great reviews on tire rack.

Charles R

Adventurer
My Goodyear wrangler all terrain adventures are quiet as a church mouse and haven't let me down yet on the trails. Haven't played in mucky mud yet though.

laufer

Cooper at3's. A buddy of mine has run them on all 3 of his 4runners, and wouldn't change a thing. We did a 6500 mile trip over the summer and hit everything from the Mojave road, to Black Bear pass without an issue. They're also quiet and comfortable on the highway.

+1 for the Cooper A/T3.

They work great for everyday driving and held up nicely on the White Rim and Medano Pass trails.

twiisted71

Adventurer
GY Duratracs. After having these on my diesel Excursion for 40K, I am a firm believer in them. Tread wear is phenomenal and traction is still excellent for all but thick mud, they are silent running, and two didn't require any weight at all. My E350 will be getting a set as soon as the current Michelins wear out. I am so impressed with them that I'm in a quandary about what to put on my current Jeep project. I have ran everything from BFG KOs, Mud Brutes, Firestones, Michelin ATXs, Mickey T Bajas, old style Grabber ATs, and various other 'cheap' stuff over the yrs searching for the best all around tires (not getting into the different mud grips!). I was wanting something with a more aggressive AT pattern like General Grabber red labels but for value it will be hard to justify going with anything other than the Duratracs for the amount of highway use the Jeep will actually see and trying to pick up a used cheap set of dedicated offroad tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles