Anyone removed an after market limiter from a Merc Vario?

Big blue bus

Hi, having just bought our 'Big blue bus' for conversion we've found these forums fascinating! We drove 450 miles to get her and on the drive home found being limited to 60mph hard to take when trying to pass an artic and ending up in a truck sandwich on the M6! 60mph is great for cruising but would like the limiter removed. If anyone has removed a Siemens VDO (TSU 1391) successfully any tips would be gratefully received!
Ours is a Merc Vario 613D and can't wait to get her fitted. Sourcing non plastic windows is for another day. We can only find 2 suppliers so far!!!
Thanks in advance...

Gren_T

Adventurer
Hi welcome to the forum .. i'm looking forward to your build.. hint..:p
You may have better luck asking in the Unimog & MB section, there are a few UK vario owners posting there I'll hopefully be joining you soon.

regards

Gren

Last edited:

Big Bertha

Hi, first post on the forum. We took Big Bertha (vario 814d) to a local merc dealer and they delimeted her for the cost of an hour's labour.

LukeH

Adventurer
My truck is slightly larger than the Vario, but I quite like the limiter.
It forces you to take it easy, to calm down and watch the world go by, instead of searching for that extra mph to get past this or that.
There'll ALWAYS be another, so why bother?
Jammed down it's also a very effective cruise control; and on long trips that's an absolute essential for me.

Big Bertha

True, when we first purchased Big Bertha she'd spent her life collecting used chip oil. I didn't realise she was limited till I got onto the M25. Once we converted her into a camper I spoke to the DVLA/VOSA who confirmed she didn't need to be limited.

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
The fuel consumption on our 814DA goes up dramatically as speed increases. So I'm kind of glad to be limited to 90KPH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94