Quaife limited slip rear diff for Xterra/Frontier C200k

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Follow along as I attempt to install a Quaife torsen style limited slip rear diff into the Xterra C200k.

(Part # QDF10L, designed for an automatic transmission equipped Nissan 350Z w/ R200 diff)

Specs on QDF10L here:
https://shop.quaife.co.uk/media/blfa_files/QDF10L.pdf

General Quaife diff info:
http://quaife.co.uk/quaife-products/quaife-limited-slip-differential/

Quaife diffs have an impressive history in motorsports and no, it is not a locker. It is a geared limited slip similar to a TrueTrac (except much higher quality).

The basic principle is explained above but the end result is that the diff works to equalize traction across both rear tires and in conjunction with the Xterra traction control/ABLS system, will be massively effective.

This is unknown territory because while ring/pinion gears have successfully been swapped between the R200 and C200k, none have attempted a carrier swap. Significant research went into this and I am 98% confident this will install perfectly.

Parts have been ordered today. Will provide updates when received and installed.

docwatson

Adventurer
Awesome! I am pretty confident this will swap over also. The only difference I can find between the R200 and the C200k (besides the obvious live vs independent) is that the R200 is a c-clip axle.

If you check this thread (http://thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=11752) a guy was able to install the powertrax C200k lunchbox in a R200 with a little machining (for the c-clips) so the R200 to C200k should be seamless.

SHOULD BE are dangerous words though.

Last edited:

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Agreed. I found several references that indicated the full part number for the C200K open carrier and R200 open carrier match.

Note there is a carrier split to be aware of with this diff - 3.36 and down is the high ratio carrier (Xterra 3.13). Lower ratios (3.69, 4.08, etc) would need part number QDF11L - this moves the ring gear mounting flange closer to the pinion to compensate for the smaller low ratio pinion.

Strizzo

Explorer
Color me interested. makes me wonder if their R180 diff could be made to work with the xterra/frontier front diffs.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Their R180 diffs are for the earlier 25 spline version, not the Xterra's 27 spline. However, the 06+ Subaru STI uses an R180 27 spline rear diff with a similar torsen style LSD from the factory. I am trying to get my hands on one now to test.

With regards to R and C series diffs, they are all made by Hitachi who made them for various manufacturers (not just Nissan). Even the current Ford Focus RS uses an R series Hitachi front diff.

jingram

Adventurer
I would be VERY interested in hearing about any information you have found out on the R180 Subie 27 spline rear diff and using it in the R180 front diff of the xterra. I love torsion style LSDs like Quaife. Ran them for users back in my SCCA days in Honda/Acura. Fantastic product. Clearly the 27 spline is Hitachi, but they are a large OE and Industrial powerhouse in Japan.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
If anyone could help me find one, for a reasonable price, I will gladly be the tester. Note it has to be an 06+ STI rear diff, R180, with the 3.54 ratio (due to carrier split). I have feelers out in a couple Subaru groups but no response yet. Complete diffs are available on ebay for about 600. If I could find something for half that (or less) for just the carrier I'd risk the money to try it.

docwatson

Adventurer
Several users over on TitanTalk rave about the M226 Truetrac/ABLS combo. Some even replaced their stock e-locker.

I expect you will see very similar results with the Quaife in C200k.

Are there any other LSD options for the R180?

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
There are a number of aftermarket clutch type LSD's designed for the Subaru R180. These are not ideal for front diff use in a daily driver/off roader though.

I am buying a complete Subaru R180 today, will need to wait for it to be shipped. My Quaife "C200" diff arrived earlier this week as well but I have not had time to look at it.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
The R180 arrived but I have not taken it out of the box yet. Just a quick update that this project is still alive.

Dmski

Adventurer
Holy smokes man this is fantastic! Please keep us updated on both the subi r180 and the c200k quaife setup. I'm subscribing to this one!

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Hey guys, no updates. Diffs still in boxes in my garage. Moving into a new house, building out the garage, getting married, and the holidays have all been in the way.

I expect to make major progress in the next couple of weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior