VIBRATION Somewhere Underneath

zimm

Expedition Leader
Yes, take it to wolfgangs in Tenafly. Rich will sort it out. Wolfgangs isn't cheap, but you get what you pay for.

265 County Rd, Tenafly, NJ 07670
(201) 568-7003

if the dude knows what hes doing, hes worth the premium. there are no wolfgangs in western pa, just dealers.

Gren_T

Adventurer
I'd still bet it's the tyres..
I had a new set of BFG KM2 fitted to my LR90 last month balanced and tracking checked, a few days later I noticed a very slight thump at the steering wheel at 52mph & gone by 54.
On checking I found the original shop had used clip on weights despite me telling them to use stick on's.
I had the tyres re-balanced by a different garage and found one wheel & tyre was out and needed 300g to balance it, so I ended up putting this on the back as a spare.

Now steering is perfect..

You can prove the shaft by noting the rpm the vibration happens then drop it into low range and run up to the same rpm if vibration is still present fault is in the drive line, if its gone fault is in the tyres/alignment.

regards all
Gren

IBEX95

Thank you Gren_T. The vibration I am experiencing is coming from underneath (below the front seats) of the vehicle. When driving, there is no vibration on the steering wheel. When engine is working, the transfer case shift-handle vibrates slightly, and it's vibration become stronger when vehicle is moving. But I can feel it only by holding my hand on the tc shift-handle. The real vibration (from underneath, below the front seats) starts when the car reaches 50 miles per hour and it last up to 60 miles per hour. At the same time, the tc shift-handle vibrates according to RPM of the engine.

ILIAN

Adventurer
If the short prop shaft is original that's definitely due for a replacement. These usually vibrate depending on torque around 20-40mph regardless of engine speed. Same goes for the other driveshafts. The fact that your vibration is according to engine RPM means it could be torque converter or something inside the transmission. I would start by replacing the short driveshaft and check and lube the front and rear driveshafts.

IBEX95

Yes the Prp-Shaft is still original. I have ordered the new one already. Will install it first, then I will check both, Front and Rear Drive-Shafts. Will see - hopefully it will solve the problem. And it's not a torque converter, we did check it by disengaging it and driving the car without it - vibration continued...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior