CB antenna on LR3 Front runner rack

GORM

Adventurer
I want to purchase the Midland portable and put a permanent antenna on my LR3 front runner rack. I'll ground to the right rear point that the satellite radio is and run coax through the light. This seems a simple and effective way to setup without having to cut into the vehicle. My thinking is to do a fire stick setup.

Eventually I will get a better radio (w/ separate power) and then my portable can go to a buddy whom does not have a radio.

Question: since the roof of the LR3 is mostly glass and the rack is powder coated aluminum, do I need to get a non ground plane antenna or a normal one given my proposed installation specs above. Do I ground the antenna regardless of the answer to that previous question?

Thanks

Kent

unseenone

Explorer
It will work fine up there. You will need to run a ground strap. I suggest using the upper rear door ground point, and you can feed it under the rails. Connect to the base of your antenna. Plenty of ideas and pics, I've got 3 antennas on my 3. You'll find a picture of the strap, etc. in the Ham Antenna Install section here.

GORM

Adventurer
Very helpful. Install seems easy. Question I'm not sure on is whether I need a non ground plane antenna given my primarily glass roof & rack. I might be confusing myself with whether the grounding wire changes what type of antenna I need.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Agreed, just put an antenna up there and off you go..

This is why I've yet to find a used CB of any kind that ever worked. They are most certainly not "put an antenna up there and off you go."

No one has mentioned this, but CB antenna's MUST be tuned. Not optional, unless you consider the CB unit a disposable item.

The deciding factor if you can even tune it well is the mounting. If it is poorly mounted and grounded, you may not even be able to tune it.

HAM antenna's are easy. 2M/70cm are forgiving bands and don't give much issue even if installed poorly. CB is another animal, it's HF band, and if you have high SWR it will burn up the radio, maybe not the first time you key it, which is why everyone says "I haven't had any problems with the antenna." It is because the radio eventually quits working a good while after it is installed, most people don't talk on it enough to make this happen within a few days. Then they think it was a short or an electrical issue that trashed the radio, but it was the antenna install.

Here is a good site to start with:
http://www.olypen.com/craigh/ant-info.htm

What is more is that without a proper ground plane, you may get the CB to not burn itself up, but the range of the radio will be about the same as 2 tin cans and some string.

This discusses "Ground"
http://www.k0bg.com/ground.html

I think it is a popular misconception that CB radios are easy trail comms. They are cheap and available, but probably the most difficult type of radio to actually set up properly and expect any kind of performance from.

unseenone

Explorer
Appreciate the info and tips. I do not think the Xterra has a glass roof, does it? You are right the antenna should be tuned. My reference was in regard to type of antenna.

The roof rails on the 3 are insulated, from the body and are not grounded. The question at hand was will it work without a specialized antenna, it will. There is enough metal "mass" under the antenna. On trail comms, I agree, the CB guys have virtually no range or useful function on the trails from what I have seen that might be due partially to the points you made, and antenna location.

You'll find several tune-able antenna options here. You may want one with a spring base IMO. It might we worthwhile trying to get help and your kit from a local HAM shop if you have one, if you don't want to become a communications expert.

Keep us posted on your progress.

GORM

Adventurer
So I have my radio Midland Handheld and an inexpensive antenna purchased at Walmart to use until I permanently install the firestik. I did however, purchase an SWR meter (arrives tomorrow) and have held back hooking up my radio to it in advance until I can properly tune it.

RightChannel had some good videos ... Though I am about sick and tired of hearing the guy on RC saying "an-tan-a".

I'll update you once I get a "triple nickels" back on my radio check. I am headed to Rovers on the Rocks this weekend, so hopefully will have the bare minimum to communicate.

GORM

Adventurer
Update

CB worked great. I used SWR on it in the rain, so the following day I redid in a more open area and when dry to make another minor adjustment. I had no issues communicating at least within a mile in woods. Not bad for $25 antenna. The SWR was the important investment.

I'll still put in a more permanent solution and then I will have a 2nd radio.

Thanks all

Lance4me

Observer
So this inexpensive antenna you purchased at Walmart ground plane or no ground plane? I need a no ground plane for my JKU.

GORM

Adventurer
Fairly certain it was a ground plane antenna, the ngp Ones are normally more expensive. What has you convinced you need a non ground plane antenna? My LR3 has a lot of aluminum on it and I did not ground out the antenna, I found a magnetic spot on roof to apply it.

Pretty sure it was the Schoshe one for $15.

I'd say try that one and make sure to get a swr meter to tune the antenna. I got that on eBay for $20 or something like that. Maybe it took me 5-10 minutes to tune it and I repeated the process when I found a more open space.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94