Weight Savings of Synthetic over Wire on the Warn M12000

LR Max

Local Oaf
Meh. My rope sat outside on the drum for 10 years. No issues. Recently used it to drag my fat truck after I high centered the rear axle. Just dragged the axle through crap. Actually a pretty tough pull.

The biggest issue with my rope is its stupid owner tearing it up.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Bill Burke gets a lot of hard use (and years of if) out of his synthetic winch ropes. Good enough for me.

Lucky j

Explorer
I have the same steel line since I bought the winch about 20'years ago, and I am in salt country. I put liquid moly on it every couple of years and that is it. It as work it's share on many occasion.

Salt in water is not an isue, cause the salt does not crsytalise as much when under load in the water. But salt become sharp crystal and dirt is aslo sharp. So winter or sand is an isue if you do not clean your synthetic line after every outing.

Saw many synthetic line brake from my friends over the years, never saw a steel line give in the same periode. But they do break, so safety is a premium. And yes, synthetic is soft to the touch, but since I use leather gloves on any recovery for a safety factor, I do not feel it.

So to me, nice to have, but just can not justifiy it. Like titanium fork. ;)

Dalko43

Explorer
Getting a little off topic...

My stock 4runner weighs in at about 4,700lbs.
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is around 6,200lbs.

I'm trying to keep the weight down with light-duty ARB skids, a synthetic winch, and probably an aluminum bumper...but all the same, with camping gear, 1-2 people, 96lb dog, food, water, ect., I could see myself getting pretty close to that gross vehicle weight rating.

I've heard you should get a winch that has a pull rating at least 30% over your vehicles gross weight rating...50% over that rating is preferred. Going with the 30% rule of thumb, does anyone think I would be wrong to get a Warn 8000lb synthetic winch?

NYresQ

I would go with something like the Warn Zeon 10. you really want to stay in the 1.5x's area. A warn Zeon winch with the synthetic line weighs the same if you get the 8,000lb model or the 10,000 model. So if weight is your primary concern, why not get the heavier rated winch and have the added safety of an extra ton of pulling power.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Getting a little off topic...

My stock 4runner weighs in at about 4,700lbs.
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is around 6,200lbs.

I'm trying to keep the weight down with light-duty ARB skids, a synthetic winch, and probably an aluminum bumper...but all the same, with camping gear, 1-2 people, 96lb dog, food, water, ect., I could see myself getting pretty close to that gross vehicle weight rating.

I've heard you should get a winch that has a pull rating at least 30% over your vehicles gross weight rating...50% over that rating is preferred. Going with the 30% rule of thumb, does anyone think I would be wrong to get a Warn 8000lb synthetic winch?

How big a winch you get really depends on how you plan on using it. A more powerful winch can be easier to work with / more forgiving of imperfect rigging techniques than a little winch, but at the end of the day I've never seen a recovery that failed because the winch couldn't handle it. A little winch may make it go a lot slower with waits while it cools - certainly in competition you want big and fast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier