Good source metric bolts

boostin

Adventurer
Looking for a good source for metric bolts? One specific bolt that all bolt sips don't even list.

M10 x1.25 x 40 with I don't know what you call it, a counter sunk head? So it mounts flush with a Allen key.

I am in Canada btw

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
If the image below is the type of screw you you are after, it's called a flat head socket screw (or a countersunk head socket screw).

socket_head_screw.JPG

Last edited:

summerprophet

Adventurer
McMaster-Carr
Grainger
Fastenal

If you strike out on all of these, you may have to source it from the manufacturer. (Ktm motorcycles use this size)

If that doesn't work, recutting threads on a m10x1.5, Preferably a very long bolt with a large shaft to re thread. Alternatively, drilling and retapping the hole.

Definitely use anti seize compound on this bolt. Fine threads mean more surface area, means more friction, means more torque required to break it loose once it is seized...... And as you are limited by the Allen key, which is why counter sunk heads are typically course thread only.

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Fastenal is a good source, funky metric stuff may take a day or two since the local store probably won't have it just sitting on the shelf.

All the hardware for my frame replacement came from them.

You can always buy fasteners from China (I buy plenty of electronics from there), but for critical high strength fasteners I prefer a NA source.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Maryland Metrics might have what you need, but I also use a local hardware store that has a very good selection.

How many of them do you need?

Also - 30 degree countersink?

Last edited:

boostin

Adventurer
Hey guys, thanks so much for the help but I think I might just drill the holes and retap to standard thread, finding these bolts are not suppose to be the project but the turbo upgrade is

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Something you should not overlook is that fine thread bolts are normally used for a reason. The combination of a fine thread and a countersunk head would give above normal resistance to undoing.

boostin

Adventurer
Something you should not overlook is that fine thread bolts are normally used for a reason. The combination of a fine thread and a countersunk head would give above normal resistance to undoing.

I would be more then happy if the bolt never un does, I would never want yo have to put the factory turbo back on ever :) unless I want to make a different adapter flange down the road. Nothing that drills or oxy acetalyne would not solve

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Definitely use anti seize compound on this bolt. Fine threads mean more surface area, means more friction, means more torque required to break it loose once it is seized...... And as you are limited by the Allen key, which is why counter sunk heads are typically course thread only.

Only use anti-seize if it's recommended by the OEM. Anything that reduces friction between the threads will also reduce the torque required to reach a certain clamping force between the parts. You increase your risk of warping flanges & stripping threads if you're not careful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne