2001 Ford F-450 SD Lariat Crew Cab 4WD Custom Camper $31,299

The Toy Guy

Observer
Now THAT is a beautiful thing. Almost makes me want to see if they would like to take a 2007 Sprinter in trade. Any guess as to the total length? Any thoughts about whether it is Possible to mod the box and make it a pop up for a second story for up, out of the way sleeping arrangements or best to just mount a rooftop tent and a hatch? We are a family of 5 looking to travel N&S America, the LS Diesel and 2wd has been a concern, love the Sprinter - security is a significant concern.

Any thoughts?

S2DM

Adventurer
Now THAT is a beautiful thing. Almost makes me want to see if they would like to take a 2007 Sprinter in trade. Any guess as to the total length? Any thoughts about whether it is Possible to mod the box and make it a pop up for a second story for up, out of the way sleeping arrangements or best to just mount a rooftop tent and a hatch? We are a family of 5 looking to travel N&S America, the LS Diesel and 2wd has been a concern, love the Sprinter - security is a significant concern.

Any thoughts?

I'm gonna guess its close to 25 feet long based on the amount of rear overhang on the crew cab chassis.

I think it would be possible to cut the top off of that box and add a nested hard sided top box, somewhat like a pangaea lt from GXV, that lifted on actuators. Not a small project at all though. Other notion would be to cut the top box above the windows and have it raise with collapsing tent sides more akin to an all terrain warrior. Easier to do and the main hurdles become water proofing the tent portion.

The Toy Guy

Observer
Thanks for your insightful response. I took a look are your incredible build thread for your camper and will hold off for a couple of years on this as it is bigger than anticipated, we can certainly make due with the Sprinter during the summers back in the US. BTW, I love the mid project redirection and admire the engineering skills you showed when you decided to go in a cab over camper direction.

cubuffs85

Clifford - The Big Red Camper

Clifford.JPG
I just bought this vehicle yesterday. Can't wait to get it on an adventure. But needs some work first. It sat idle for about 5 years. Needs new tires and batteries. And I plan to add a generator and more solar capacity. Any other ideas I should explore?

S2DM

Adventurer
Convert to single tires in the rear. It's somewhat pricey but will open up a lot of terrain.

S2DM

Adventurer
I'd do a quick search on the forums, as others would say it better than I, but singles should be more capable off road. Front and rear tires will be in the same track, which prevents the front and rear from having to make separate tracks, and the singles don't pick up debris, rocks/sticks between the dual lies. It's expensive because you need to get a rear tire with a load rating consistent with your truck, pushing you into mil spec tires and light trucking. The single rear wheel rims are expensive too. Just a matter if you bought it to do mostly on road or off road travel. Not a worthwhile expenditure if you aren't planning to use it extensively off road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S2DM

Adventurer
Continental MPT81 is a common choice for the 450/550. I'm partial to the Goodyear g275MSA. Some guys have have luck with the 19.5" diameter rims and associated tires that I'm less familiar with.

moparmiller

With a rig that big you are not going too crazy off road. Run the 19.5's, change every fluid and have fun. I was at the bank lining up an RV loan on saturday for this rig... good catch for you!

cubuffs85

All - Thanks for the tips. Changing fluids was also on my to do list. And no need for a generator, it has idle control installed. I'm going to wait on the DRW to SRW conversion until I get a better idea of my actual driving needs. But, I really appreciate the input. It's a mod worth considering if I get really into off-roading. Also looking into expanding the solar capacity and installing a cooktop vs. the current single burner. And side steps for my wife to get in easier :)

Moparmiller, sorry you missed out, definitely a good buy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior