4000 mile Utah adventure in Jeep LJ

seeNik48

Adventurer
Very enjoyable to watch as I sit here in the rainy cold PNW. Love the Colorado Plateau as it is so different from the greens and more Green's. The music seemed to flow with the film and complemented each other. I, too would enjoy a trail perspective but the birds eye was unique and presented a view most of us couldn't experience. Could I ask you where that very narrow canyon was and ifour signature rig could make it? Also the slick rock trail? I am thinking Moab/Canyonlands area just because of that huge wedge rock I believe is on the Schaefer Trail. I hope you will share more. And, thank-you for educating folks.

Big50

Adventurer
Amazing video. About as close to actually being there to experience it as you can probably get. Really has me anxious for a trip I'm going on out there in the spring.

Rusty762

Adventurer
Very enjoyable to watch as I sit here in the rainy cold PNW. Love the Colorado Plateau as it is so different from the greens and more Green's. The music seemed to flow with the film and complemented each other. I, too would enjoy a trail perspective but the birds eye was unique and presented a view most of us couldn't experience. Could I ask you where that very narrow canyon was and ifour signature rig could make it? Also the slick rock trail? I am thinking Moab/Canyonlands area just because of that huge wedge rock I believe is on the Schaefer Trail. I hope you will share more. And, thank-you for educating folks.

Thank you seeNik48, the trail is called Long Canyon and its pretty tame with the narrow canyon being the only challenge, it was blown out when we were there from rain and when we got farther down had to turn around due to a landslide. Not sure what you vehicle is but any four wheel drive should have no problems when the trail is in its normal condition.

The slick rock footage is on Hells Revenge which is one of my favorite trails in Moab, Poison Spyder is also a really fun trail. Both of these are moderately challenging. I am happy you enjoyed the video!

Amazing video. About as close to actually being there to experience it as you can probably get. Really has me anxious for a trip I'm going on out there in the spring.

Thank you, you will love Moab!

RIDGE

Adventurer
Thank you seeNik48, the trail is called Long Canyon and its pretty tame with the narrow canyon being the only challenge, it was blown out when we were there from rain and when we got farther down had to turn around due to a landslide. Not sure what you vehicle is but any four wheel drive should have no problems when the trail is in its normal condition.

The slick rock footage is on Hells Revenge which is one of my favorite trails in Moab, Poison Spyder is also a really fun trail. Both of these are moderately challenging. I am happy you enjoyed the video!

Thank you, you will love Moab!

Hey Rusty!

What camera were you using? My girlfriend and I just finished a Utah off-road trip...wishing we had the footage you do!

Chris

Rusty762

Adventurer
Hey Rusty!

What camera were you using? My girlfriend and I just finished a Utah off-road trip...wishing we had the footage you do!

Chris

I was using the new Sony A7r MKII with some sliders and a motorized tripod head. Happy you enjoyed the video!

RIDGE

Adventurer
I was using the new Sony A7r MKII with some sliders and a motorized tripod head. Happy you enjoyed the video!

Thanks Rusty!

What about the drone shots? What set up do you have, and would you go a different route if you were buying today? Does yours have the ability to follow you, and is that a good thing or not?

Sorry for all the questions! You can PM me if you don't want to clutter up your thread...maybe others would like to know as well.

Chris

Rusty762

Adventurer
Thanks Rusty!

What about the drone shots? What set up do you have, and would you go a different route if you were buying today? Does yours have the ability to follow you, and is that a good thing or not?

Sorry for all the questions! You can PM me if you don't want to clutter up your thread...maybe others would like to know as well.

Chris

I was using a DJI Phantom 3 and Inspire 1, I own other birds but these are what I brought for this trip. You have to be really careful and courteous as there are many places you are not allowed to fly and even the places that are legal you can ruin someones wilderness experience. The Phantom 3 has a Follow mode but I do not use it as it cannot account for trees or other objects at different altitudes. The technology is changing rapidly and in the not to distant future I am sure we will see GPS accurate follow modes that can account for obstructions.

There are a lot of restrictions about to be released on RC filming platforms as they are so cheap and have ended up in the hands of consumers that have no previous experience with RC aircraft and more importantly it seems lack of common sense as we have had some instances in the US of people flying over airports or into airspaces like Forest Fires where they have no business flying. Sorry to rant, they are incredible tool its just a bummer that more people are not responsible when flying. If you have any other questions let me know, I have been flying RC aircraft for over 30 years and really enjoy filming from that perspective.

RIDGE

Adventurer
Thanks again!

Our country is being overrun by people who lack common sense and respect. And, because of the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality, the rules and laws get changed to accommodate such fools, but the ones who really suffer are the intelligent people who don't needs laws to decide from right and wrong.

Rusty762

Adventurer
Thanks again!

Our country is being overrun by people who lack common sense and respect. And, because of the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality, the rules and laws get changed to accommodate such fools, but the ones who really suffer are the intelligent people who don't needs laws to decide from right and wrong.

Well spoken Ridge, yeah the whole "everyone gets a trophy" thing is crazy. Seems our school systems wants to breed a generation of "instant gratification spoiled *** brats", if you are ever in the Central California area look me up would be happy to meet you for a trail run on some of the incredible scenic areas around here. :)

aausmana

Adventurer
Rusty, I just happened to come across your thread. Your video is simply awe inspiring. Are you on Instagram?

I am not far away from you across the hill on the Peninsula. Let me know if you're planning any weekend adventures soon.

Well done sir, well done!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94