Ambulance Conversion - New Modifications.

yzeevy

Adventurer
Control pannel

Hello,

Can someone explain the meaning of some of the switches in my main control panel:
20151122_161919.jpg
Secondary Override
Intersection Lights
Low Power (it is stuck in that position since the cleaning)
Take Down Lights
Back Up Alarm
Thanks

Soon I'll have new pictures of things I done so far.

huskyhauler

Adventurer
Hello,

Can someone explain the meaning of some of the switches in my main control panel:
View attachment 316527
Secondary Override
Intersection Lights
Take Down Lights
Back Up Alarm
Thanks

Intersection lights - probably a preset flashing sequence of outside emergency lights, for use when driving through an intersection. It could also be an infrared light that triggers a traffic light to change if it's equipped to do so.
Takedown lights - probably front facing, outside illumination lights, used to light up the area in front of, or around the ambulance.
Back up alarm - probably a "beep - beep - beep" alarm used as a warning to others while you are reversing.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Hello,

View attachment 316527
Secondary Override
Intersection Lights
Take Down Lights
Back Up Alarm
Thanks

Secondary Override - Basically, there are two lighting modes which are, 'Requesting the right of way' (responding) and 'Blocking the right of way' (on scene).' On most switch panels these are labeled 'Primary' and 'Secondary'. When in the 'Secondary' mode, white flashing lights must shut down. This is also why they shut down when you set the parking brake. Some ambulances will have a switch on the control panel labeled something like 'Blocking or Secondary Override'. This overrides the blocking mode and enables all the white warning lights, even with the parking brake on. This is used sometimes during the day, for show, or for testing.

Intersection Lights - These are the lateral facing warning lights mounted on the front upper edge of each front fender and may be angled forward
a maximum of 30°, since this the first part of the vehicle to enter the intersection.

Low Power - I'm not 100% positive on this one, but I believe this switch is used at night to lower the power of the warning light system to anywhere from 10 - 30% of normal. Basically, it's a high/low switch for the warning system, to help prevent blinding other drivers at night.

Take Down Lights -
Very bright forward facing lights, normally found on police vehicles and used to see into a vehicle when it's being pulled over, etc. On an ambulance they are basically just forward facing work or scene lights, and not part of the warning system. They may be located in the light bar or actually mounted on front of the patient compartment (the box).

Back Up Alarm -
This is a 'cut out' or disable switch for the backup alarm. Normally, the backup alarm will sound anytime the vehicle is placed in reverse, but on some non-emergency occasions, such as arriving at Grandma's at 3 am to transport her to the hospital because her chronic arthritis is acting up, you may want to be a quiet as possible. However, anytime the alarm is disabled, the EMT or Paramedic should be on the ground as the 'Backup Man', and guiding the vehicle backwards safely.

I hope this helps clear up some of the mystery of ambulance wiring!

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
You're a gem of info Pat!

Many years of experience operating and working on emergency vehicles, most of it learned the hard way!
confused-smiley-3c.png

yzeevy

Adventurer
Low Power - I'm not 100% positive on this one, but I believe this switch is used at night to lower the power of the warning light system to anywhere from 10 - 30% of normal. Basically, it's a high/low switch for the warning system, to help prevent blinding other drivers at night.
Back Up Alarm - This is a 'cut out' or disable switch for the backup alarm. Normally, the backup alarm will sound anytime the vehicle is placed in reverse, but on some non-emergency occasions, such as arriving at Grandma's at 3 am to transport her to the hospital because her chronic arthritis is acting up, you may want to be a quiet as possible. However, anytime the alarm is disabled, the EMT or Paramedic should be on the ground as the 'Backup Man', and guiding the vehicle backwards safely.

I hope this helps clear up some of the mystery of ambulance wiring!

Thanks, I think some of the switches don't work. There are 4 rectangle lights with
red/yellow covers with long halogen bulbs and I never succeeded to activate them.

I vent to a nearby FD and they promised to contact me with an electrician who works
for them, as soon as he returns from his vacation.

That's OK, I have plenty to do

Removed emergency lights (I'll change the blue) and
added lots of insulation in the doors and walls AND
registered the truck because LAPD have impounded it
because you can not park an unregistered car on public property ($459).
20151124_124625_024.JPG
Today I finished the spare jig
20151124_114656_023.jpg
20151124_124510_013.jpg

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
Thanks, I think some of the switches don't work. There are 4 rectangle lights with
red/yellow covers with long halogen bulbs and I never succeeded to activate them.

I assume you're referring to the Whelen 700 Series combination lights mounted over each wheel well. The two in the front are your Intersections Lights, and the two in the rear are Midship Lights. The 700 Series comes in both Halogen and Strobe versions. If the bulb is a long skinny tube that looks like this, then it's a strobe.

If they are strobes, then there will be a controller called a 'Strobe Pack', which is usually mounted in the back in one of the electrical panels. The strobe Pack has a fuse mounted on it which may be your problem.

yzeevy

Adventurer
I assume you're referring to the Whelen 700 Series combination lights mounted over each wheel well. The two in the front are your Intersections Lights, and the two in the rear are Midship Lights. The 700 Series comes in both Halogen and Strobe versions. If the bulb is a long skinny tube that looks like this, then it's a strobe.

If they are strobes, then there will be a controller called a 'Strobe Pack', which is usually mounted in the back in one of the electrical panels. The strobe Pack has a fuse mounted on it which may be your problem.
Exactly, there are 3 PS's that "running the show".
I now know what the 2 front strobes are supposed to do . . .

Observer
You should recheck some of the lights with the rig running and in Drive. Most if not all have a feature called Park Kill that usually turns off all white flashing lights but sometimes others including intersectors.

patoz

Expedition Leader
You should recheck some of the lights with the rig running and in Drive. Most if not all have a feature called Park Kill that usually turns off all white flashing lights but sometimes others including intersectors.

Yep, that's a good idea!

flightcancled

Explorer
Find out what kind of tow truck they used when they impounded you. You may need to know that in the future. Ken almost lost his rig to a towing mishap.

The lights might also be tied into your turn signals. I have lights that are midship turn signals and illuminate cars in my blind spots. Ultimately less can be more. Less stuff turning on means less things to drive you crazy when the bulbs quit on you.

Wish my rig had a spare... I should get on that eventually.

yzeevy

Adventurer
Find out what kind of tow truck they used when they impounded you. You may need to know that in the future. Ken almost lost his rig to a towing mishap.

The lights might also be tied into your turn signals. I have lights that are midship turn signals and illuminate cars in my blind spots. Ultimately less can be more. Less stuff turning on means less things to drive you crazy when the bulbs quit on you.

Wish my rig had a spare... I should get on that eventually.
I checked, and didn't found any damage. Well, beside the $459!
I think my ambulance was made for covert operations.
First, turn on the starter switch, then the Master then the Sequencer and the Secondary Override.
Now you can run the 4 Front Strobes and the 2 Intersection Lights.
I start to understand those who gut everything and rewire.
I don't have the ability and enough years for this kind of project.
You need a spare but do you have a jack??
Do you know what is the OEM jack of a F450 ?!

Last edited:

cjken

Explorer
Ambulance Convertion - Srarted Today

Yea. My 2.5 floor jack struggles so I got a 20 ton bottle that I carry with me. Also a high lift which could be useful in Some situations.
Actually when I got my new tires and rims the shop had to use my bottle Jack to do the rears and mines light being a mini-mod.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior