New to me 2011 Xterra S

shrug_knight

image (8).jpg

After an unfortunate incident that involved my Mustang (RIP), a slick road, and a curb that I swear jumped out of nowhere, I had to reevaluate my wants and needs for a vehicle. The Mustang, which while exceedingly fun, loud, and flashy, was hopelessly impractical as a year-round driver in the northeast. I began a car search fresh with loads of OT money and an insurance check and decided that I wanted a mid-size SUV or pickup from this decade with real 4WD and a manual transmission. Given that in the United States this limited my choices to approximately three vehicles, the search was fairly easy to complete. Tacomas and Wranglers are still stupid expensive for little reason besides the name on their respective titles, and Frontiers tend to go for about $3k more than a comparable Xterra, the choice was never difficult.

I found a 2011 Xterra a state over with higher miles and ever maintenance it has ever received for a very fair price the same day I cashed the insurance check. Test drive went well, requisite papers were signed, and here we are now. I had wanted to wait for an off-road or Pro-4X to become available, but really they are hard to find with a 6-speed and aside from an aux jack, I really have no need (serious want, yes, but need? not so much) for all of the other capabilities it offers.

The immediate plan is to leave it mostly stock with some upgrades as time and money permit. First and foremost is a new head unit so I can have an aux jack or some USB compatibility. How a 2011 does not at least have a 1/8 aux port somewhere is absolutely beyond me, but so it goes. Although if anyone knows a way to let me listen to spotify through the speakers without spending that much money, I'm all ears.

Also it is gonna need tires sooner than later. The current General Grabber HT/S have decent tread, but I don't think I have ever read a single positive review of them. Luckily, Discoverer AT3s are cheap enough where I should have a new set before the end of winter.

Past that? I'd like to get a slight lift (OME springs probably?) before summer and a light bar. Armor and a spare tire relocation are also very much in the cards, but I suppose I'll have to evaluate what I want from the vehicle and what I'm going to be doing with it. Tentative plans for some cross-country national park visits and camping, as well as visiting the local-ish off-road park are all I have for now, to go along with the requisite bombing through the pine barrens. All in all I'm excited to see what having a legitimately versatile and capable vehicle can do for me. Should be a fun road ahead of me.

justbecause

perpetually lost
How a 2011 does not at least have a 1/8 aux port somewhere is absolutely beyond me, but so it goes. Although if anyone knows a way to let me listen to spotify through the speakers without spending that much money, I'm all ears.

I love my pro4x frontier, but my S model rogue is a serious piece. Nissan, more than anyone I have ever seen, really goes the extra mile to make the different trim levels meaningful.

If I could have found an xterra with a rear locker I would have picked it over the frontier. I like the front end more, the roof rack seems more useful, especially the ones with the little locking box. The only thing I feel like my frontier has going for me is with the camper shell I can keep stuff dry, and not stink up my interior. -read: the dog and gasoline ride back there, not at the same time.

shrug_knight

Still haven't had much time to do anything interesting or fun with it because life, as it does, has gotten in the way a bit.

Over the ~1,400 miles I've put on it in the last month, I've somehow averaged about 19 mpg. I can honestly say I never expected to get anything near that good. Naturally that'll go down as the mods go up, which god willing should finally start in earnest in a couple months.

Also, I've seen quite a few people take off the mud flaps. Any real reason for that except for personal taste or are they an actual encumbrance?

mires

Adventurer
Surprisingly you can do a lot better than 19 mpg if you try. I didn't expect much more than that with mine either but I've gotten as high as 23. hovering around 20.5 right now with the recent change to the 'winter blend" and switching from the stock p rated tires to a load range E 235/85/16 coincidentally the A/T3 you're interested in :) It should also be noted that I drive pretty conservatively.

Most people that take the mud flaps off do it for 2 reasons. 1, it looks better without them and 2, they will get ripped off when you go off road anyway. I removed mine but am putting them back on for daily driving. They help tremendously with keeping the side of the vehicle clean and also protecting from rock chips on your rocker panels. I drive 2 miles of gravel road per day though. Maybe if you live in town and drive on nothing but pavement you would be ok to just leave them off. They come off or go back on in literally 5 minutes so if you want to try it out, just know they go back on very easily.

sjz

Not sure if you've found it yet, but http://www.thenewx.org/ will very much be your friend for a while. My suggestion for a first mod? New struts for the back tailgate. What a difference! I'm 6'3"ish and was hitting my head like every other minute with the dang thing open. Now its actually a useful cover. TheNewX has a rundown on how to do it.

shrug_knight

Surprisingly you can do a lot better than 19 mpg if you try. I didn't expect much more than that with mine either but I've gotten as high as 23. hovering around 20.5 right now with the recent change to the 'winter blend" and switching from the stock p rated tires to a load range E 235/85/16 coincidentally the A/T3 you're interested in :) It should also be noted that I drive pretty conservatively.

Most people that take the mud flaps off do it for 2 reasons. 1, it looks better without them and 2, they will get ripped off when you go off road anyway. I removed mine but am putting them back on for daily driving. They help tremendously with keeping the side of the vehicle clean and also protecting from rock chips on your rocker panels. I drive 2 miles of gravel road per day though. Maybe if you live in town and drive on nothing but pavement you would be ok to just leave them off. They come off or go back on in literally 5 minutes so if you want to try it out, just know they go back on very easily.

Duly noted. Aesthetically I can definitely buy taking them off, and for actual off-road situations, but for DD-ing I'll probably just leave them on.

And yeah I've also taken to driving rather conservatively with X, especially considering I cam from a mustang. Usually just shift around 2k or so and rarely speed. It seems to be most comfortable driving like that, which is kinda odd given how revvy the VQ is

shrug_knight

Not sure if you've found it yet, but http://www.thenewx.org/ will very much be your friend for a while. My suggestion for a first mod? New struts for the back tailgate. What a difference! I'm 6'3"ish and was hitting my head like every other minute with the dang thing open. Now its actually a useful cover. TheNewX has a rundown on how to do it.

Haven't run in to that particular issue but I'll check it out, thanks!

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Congratulations! The Xterra is probably one of the most underrated off road capable vehicles in the US, but obviously you didn't overlook it, and I figure you won't regret owning it.

Here is your first mod:

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/15-how-tos/54-how-install-rear-diff-breather-extension.html

Sooner or later you will dunk your axle. The OEM breather valve is prone to stick. If it sticks open you allow moisture into the differential and contaminate the gear oil, if it sticks closed it can build up pressure and mess up the axle seals.

Buy that little nipple for it, run a tube on the breather up high, slap a little filter on it, and it will be fine even if you submerge it.

DieEpic

Dont go there it will run your wallet dry! haha
You find out about all the cool products, group buys and one off's for sale.

But its seriously great for troubleshooting codes and quick fixes as odds are someone has been there prior.
Cheers!

shrug_knight

The rear axle breather seems like a pretty stupid issue that the factory never fixed? I mean, ostensibly most owners wouldn't encounter the the problem, but it's still a weird thing to overlook given the low cost and complexity.

shrug_knight

Also does anyone know of a good light cage? Can't seem to be able to find one. Although I'm sure they have many positive qualities, for no real reason other than I think they don't look as cool i don't particularly care for an LED light bar.

birdman86

Xoskel built a really nice one, but he ran off with a bunch of peoples money so stay away from him. Maybe post a WTB over at TNX, someone might have one kicking around there

Xoskel2.jpg

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Welcome !! I have the same screen name here as tnx and xn love he Xterra!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shrug_knight

Xoskel built a really nice one, but he ran off with a bunch of peoples money so stay away from him. Maybe post a WTB over at TNX, someone might have one kicking around there

Xoskel2.jpg

Ahh that would be exactly what I want. Yeah I've read some stories on him and... yikes. I suppose being a good fabricator has little to do with being a decent person or being able to run a business.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles