2011 Ram 1500 - "The Basics" Build

jerstw

Adventurer
Well, it seems it is about the appropriate time to put together a build thread of my own since I have been asking a fair number of questions to this group over the past few months; a special thanks to Oddity for his input and an apology as well since I am copying his front suspension and wheel / tire setup. So here it goes....

STARTING POINT
2011 Ram 1500 4x4 Crew Cab Sport - Bought the truck new and other than the basic cab configuration only cared about two options...3.92's and limited slip, found it, bought it. Over the course of 88,323 miles it has been a great truck in pretty much stock form, only exceptions are ground clearance stock leaves a lot to be desired and I go through rear brakes a bit too often, driver behavior I am sure. Serves as daily driver, bike hauler and camping / road trip vehicle. I was planning to sell the truck and invest in a new 2500 Cummins late this summer but logic set in and decided to see what basic stuff could be done to this 1500 to make it more fitting of what I wanted and dare say needed out of my truck.

MODS TO DATE
  1. Access RollTop Cover - Installed
  2. Debadged - Side chrome emblems
  3. Access Rolltop Cover - Removed
  4. BedRug
  5. Leer 100XQ Topper
  6. Go Rhino Dominator II Nerf Bars - Installed
  7. WeatherTech Floor Mats
  8. K&N Stock Replacement Filter
  9. Go Rhino Dominator II Nerf Bars - Removed
  10. DeeZee Tailgate Assist - Installed
  11. Cooper AT/3's
  12. Mopar Front Tow Hook Kit
  13. DeeZee Tailgate Assist - Broke (major bummer as I liked this thing but not overly impressed with the quality as it sheared off at the 'ballhead')
  14. Plasti Dip - (Ram emblems, and Sport grill insert; removing this insert was a tedious process)
  15. Depo Black Trimmed Headlights
  16. Mopar Suspension - P5155797 (Installed yesterday)
  17. 35x12.50R17 BFG KO2's (got 5 since I wanted a fullsize spare and will likely start doing the 5-tire rotations on this setup)
  18. Method NV's in 17x8.5 (after seeing these on Odditys Ram I felt the need to copy his, and they look much better in person than I expected)
  19. TPMS (ending up getting new sensors for all 5 wheels)
  20. Pro-Comp Black Spline Drive Lugs (came with the wheel package I bought and look decent)
  21. Hub-centric Rings (bought in case I run these without the center caps, they will not fit with the Method center caps)

IMG_3649.jpg
I will try to get a better image up, this is the best I could do at 7:15am today.

MODS IN PROGRESS (parts are in the garage waiting to me to get off the computer and install)
  • Thule Rack Kit from Leer

MODS PENDING FURTHER SPOUSAL APPROVAL
  • Sliders (not sure which ones but something is needed)
  • Spare Tire Mount (just sitting in the bed for now but would like to secure it and still leave my limited bed floor as open as possible, ideas on options are greatly appreciated)
  • Recovery Gear (I have the basics such as HiLift, tow straps, jack base, etc. but it is random stuff from my previous rigs and I need to spend some time sorting out what I actually need for various issues that could arise)
  • Front Bumper (Kore is the winner thus far but this will likely be towards the tail end of the shopping list)
  • Sleeping Set Up (mainly for my two boys as they are still short enough to lay flat in the 5'7" bed and I will stick to the hammock approach)
  • STOP and get out and use it! It is easy to get caught up on the "gear" aspects when in reality this is all just a tool to get outdoors with my kids and the dog, something I need to remember from time to time and just go exploring.

Having had the suspension, wheels and tires on for all of 18 hours now and having put about 140 miles on the set up since last night I have a few preliminary observations and thoughts...
  1. The KO2's ride much better than I expected. Having had XJ's, Rubicon's, WJ's and a Ram 2500 all with MTR'S or BFG Mud-Terrains in the past these tires are a certainly more tame but are better suited for what I need.
  2. Method NV's…LOVE THEM! I owe the thanks on these to Oddity as he was right, look way better in person.
  3. Glad I did the rear coils at the same time as with the weight of the topper and the almost 600lbs of wheels, tires and gear I put in it is levels out nicely when loaded.
  4. Even with the Bilstein's on the front set at 2.8" (max height) I would have liked another 1/2" of lift on the front. I am all for minimal lifts and max tire height but it looks just a bit stuffed for my tastes. Additionally I was able to get the front tires to rub at almost full lock while backing out of a tight space in a bumpy parking lot last night; maybe worst case scenario as even under compression driving forward they seem to clear everything up front…I am still shocked they fit as well as they do.
  5. Could use some guidance on the rear Bilstein 5100's, we mounted them shock body down and piston to the top but I am not certain if we should have or if I should flip them (open to educated feedback on this one)
  6. Lost about 2-3 MPG based on my drive home this morning over the course of 120 miles, about what I expected so nothing to complain about here.

Overall I am pleased with where the truck is at and will get to work on the Thule Rack install likely tomorrow morning. Thanks to this forum and its members for all the ideas and input.

Cheers,
JS

jerstw

Adventurer
Shovel - I spent zero time on the install...the dealer I ordered the kit from offered me a price on the kit, install of the kit and the Zone upper control arms and an alignment I could not refuse. The owner of the dealership is a close friend, also where I purchased the truck new, and an avid off-roader / expo guy. He said his tech spent upwards of 5 hours on the install plus the alignment. The front end was "straight forward" however the rear provided a bit more challenge, not sure on the specifics but I will ask and get back to you.

The rear includes the coils, Bilstein 5100's, bumpstop extension brackets and a bracket that is used to relocate the upper mounting point for the swaybar links and the brake line. I have a picture somewhere and will post for you in a few minutes.

jerstw

Adventurer
Welcome. Good luck on reserving the funds; the painful part of the process I have typically found.

I am sure yours will look great; and the ride with the kit is pretty good...rear does seem to be bit a softer ride but overall I like it.

jerstw

Adventurer
Since I failed to install the Thule Rack today here is a pic from the "adventure" I went on with the dog today; walk in a wildlife refuge near the house. Need to get back out to the BigHorns soon as finding placings to escape in the metro area is getting harder to find.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447040240.017083.jpg

jerstw

Adventurer
Well it took me the better part of the evening and drilling into the roof of my topper was not the most comforting sound but managed to get the Thule Leer Rack / Crossbars on. Basically measure and cut the track kit that bolts to the roof, measure a bunch of times as you only get one shot to get it right, some drilling, some silicon, some bolts and tracks were on. The feet kit was standard Thule stuff from install point of view and since the kit I got came with 78" crossbars which were too long for my needs so I cut them down to 68". Only dilemma was to make them exactly perpendicular or follow the contours of the topper edges to maximize the alleged "strength points" in the topper...I took the latter approach. I personally think it looks better but have to accept the front of the tracks will be about 1.5" wider vs. the back. A few crummy night photos but you get the idea.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447124141.504674.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447124167.556101.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447124180.874210.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447124191.008841.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447124204.610970.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447124215.065247.jpg

jerstw

Adventurer
Thanks Drew. I have never really cared for emblems or chrome on my vehicles so they tend to be the first to go when I get a new ride. Reminds me, I have to pull my rear bumper and matte black the exhaust tips on this thing...last shiny stuff on the exterior.

Oddity

Following this !! Great progress Jer! No apology needed, glad you are loving the wheels!

Last edited:

jerstw

Adventurer
Thanks Oddity. Trying to decided if my next stage of "progress" will be building a rear storage solution / sleeping platform or the armor (skids, sliders and I hope that Kore front bumper)...going to hold off the next two weeks before deciding because if that Kore bumper or sliders (likely RED's) go on sale for the holiday's 'game over'.

Funny thing on the wheels, friend of a friend was over last weekend and has apparently ordered the same combo for his 2012 Ram 2500...you've started a trend.

biohzrd

I have the KORE bumper. Just be warned that it is not a bolt on bumper. It involves you cutting off the original perches, drilling a few holes, and trimming up your inner fender plastics. otherwise the bumper fits well, is tied into the front crossmember, and has good quality bends/welds. to mount a winch, you will have to build your own rack for it, but there are a couple of ways it can be done. I'll try and get some pics up of it when I get the chance.

Nice looking Ram.

jerstw

Adventurer
Biohzrd - thanks for the input. I had heard it is a "point of no return" install for the exact reasons you mentioned. Any pictures you could share on how it mounts up would be greatly appreciated; I sent Kore and email asking for a copy of the install instructions but no response yet. How much welding did you have do to get it mounted? I am fine with the cutting and drilling aspect but I can't make a very good looking bead so would ask a local welder to perform that task if needed.

biohzrd

There was no welding required. I guess to say it is a point of know return install is a little untrue. If you cut the mounting pads off clean, you could weld them back on in the future if need be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste