diet and excercise

toyrunner95

Explorer
so im overweight. im 170 and 5'8". so i am starting to work out. nothing huge just jogging and the usual school workout.

i want a military body. lean and mean. i know a few of you are or were in the army and i was wondering what things i can do. give a regimen to adhear to. i also believe that to survive in the wild i need to be in shape. espically if zombies attack.

(i just ran sorry for my spelling.)

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
"I also believe that to survive in the wild i need to be in shape"

fat boys last longer.....more internal reserves...

and fatty steaks always taste better if bad gets worse....:REOutCampFire03:

If you find the secret...let me know...

well actually I know it...but that 4 mile run everymorning just does'nt do it for me in the same way as when I was 18
:jumping:

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
toyrunner95 said:
so im overweight. im 170 and 5'8". so i am starting to work out. nothing huge just jogging and the usual school workout.

i want a military body. lean and mean. i know a few of you are or were in the army and i was wondering what things i can do. give a regimen to adhear to. i also believe that to survive in the wild i need to be in shape. espically if zombies attack.

(i just ran sorry for my spelling.)

I'm 5'8" and if I was 170 I'd feel really skinny. What you need for a zombie attack is a good shotgun and a backpack full of ammo....;)

AndrewP

Explorer
jim65wagon said:
I'm 5'8" and if I was 170 I'd feel really skinny. What you need for a zombie attack is a good shotgun and a backpack full of ammo....;)

Are silver bullets still required?

Bergger

Explorer
Diet and exercise. I'm 6'2" and I went from 205 down to 188 in the past 4 months. I run 3 days a week and eat well. Veggies, fruits, lean meats, nuts and grains. I run a lot, 15-25 miles per week so I can still cheat once in a while and I still get to drink my beer. You need to find a good cardio exercise that you will enjoy so you stick to it. I did not like running but sucked it up and now I really enjoy it. I now know what people mean when they say they get a runners high.

Skylinerider

Adventurer
Quit looking at that BMI, you are not overweight. 170 is a great weight for your height. You want to get in more physical shape, start weight training.

ThomD

Explorer
Calories in < calories out. That's all there is too it.

Oh wait, there are whole industries devoted to this, so it HAS to be more complicated than that.

Try this: find a medium intensity exercise that you want to spend 3-6 hours per week doing. Running, bicycling, roller blades, swimming, freaking' Jazzercize or Sweating to the Oldies. It don't matter. Guess that you burn 700 calories per hour.

For food, veggies are great, but if I don't eat some fat and protein, I feel terrible. Find a mix that keeps you from "cheating". "Diets" don't work long term for most people because of a sense of deprivation.

As a 5'8", 162 lbs guy who used to be skinny, I would indeed be fat at 170. I'm hoping to get back to 155.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
A scale does not always tell the truth....look in the mirror without cloths, it doesn't lie.

But in my case I dont need a scale or mirror just more (some) exercise.:ylsmoke:

Spikepretorius

Explorer
to survive in the wild i need to be in shape.
To survive tough situations you need mental and physical endurance. That's got little to do with how fat or fit you might be.
If you're serious about that angle then you need to find activities that push you to the limit and beyond. I call it the "crying barrier". Practice getting past that barrier and you get in the zone where you can tackle anything.

Last edited:

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
6'1" & 225 here... that pint of Ben & Jerry's every night during the last pregnancy has really paid dividends... I was sitting in my chair at the office, fidgeting, wondering what was poking me in the back... it was me... I was poking myself in the back... love handles... we just found out we are expecting again... I told my wife I would not be indulging in the traditional pint of Ben & Jerry's every night with her this go 'round... and I don't even like ice cream...

So I have been eating like I did back in "the day"... when I was 6'1" & 215 ripped... no time to run or go to the gym... time to buy an elliptical machine for the family room... I eat better now too...

toyrunner95

Explorer
i dont really look at the BMI it actually says im under weight... but im not good at math so i probably screwed up. when i was talking about survival i didnt mean survivorman. sorry i only typed half of what i was thinking.

i was a boyscout and i used to do alot of mountain climbing. i was fit as i could be. not ripped. but fit. my cardio was superb and i could run for miles. i wasnt a body builder by any means. now in college i got into martial arts but with stress and bad habits i got a hiadal hernia and an esophigal ulcer. so i couldent do anything active really for about 5 months. i have seemed to sit on my ******** all day and type papers. since i am comming to an end of college i want to get back into mountineering so i need to be fit. so far the running is working. i feel better after i do it. i got a door gym to do pullups and situps. i got some weights to do some fighting workouts.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
ThomD said:

LOVEN that quote. You are 100% correct.
Once upon a couple years ago I let myself go and got up to 230lbs and I'm only 5'11".

I got fed up one day and finally woke up. I didn't eat great I just made sure that every day I did one thing to burn more than I did while I was FAT.
If that meant not eating a whole bag of Poor Brothers chips.... mmmmmm. Then I did. That wasn't hard!
I got out and walked... Pretty tame excersize huh.
Then I started skateboarding again once I lost about 10 lbs. Then I dusted off the ol mountain bike and went for it.

The one thing I never did was get crazy about my diet. In fact I have always kept to a rule of eat whatever the heck I want for lunch. Anything! (usually mexican food) That way yogurt for breakfast or chicken and veggies for dinner didn't seem so bad.

After about a year I was down to 170lbs.

Now I'm trying to get down a couple more lbs which is the hardest lbs! Its easy when your fat to loose 10 or so. Its really hard to take off the last few!

Just make sure you burn more today than you did before you started the diet. Simple, easy and you don't have to waste money on workout videos, diet food or a raging coke habit.

Enjoy!! :ylsmoke:

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
If you really want to get "ripped", I've got a wheelin' buddy who's stuck to the P90X program. He's lost nearly 30 lbs, and is ripped just like they show on TV. He's an ex-Army 82 Airborne, and says he's in better shape now at 40 than he was then.

For myself, I've lost 22 lbs since March by watching my diet, and riding a mountain bike for 30 to 45 minutes three days a week. I reached my first goal at getting below 250 lbs last week, and hope to be down to 245 prior to having my knee replaced in June.

Spikepretorius

Explorer
We have a saying in South Africa that goes "Te veel eet en te min kak"
If I translate that to English then a moderator will nuke it, but it basically means the same as the above quote.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles