diet and excercise

jeff@work

Adventurer
ThomD said:
Calories in < calories out. That's all there is too it.

Just like others have said this is spot on. Some of the traps people fall into are not realizing how many calories they take in.
Try to eat at home not out.
Just because something says low fat doesn't mean it's low calorie.
Little things like adding cheese, salad dressings, mayo, etc can really pack on the calories fast.
Soda's are packed with calories but so are fruit juices, you're better off drinking water and eating real fruit than drinking a couple glasses of fruit juice.
Just because you're eating organic, or natural, or whole grain, etc doesn't mean you'll lose weight. Yes foods like that are generally better for you and you should be eating them but to lose weight you still need to cut back on calories!

A workout that you enjoy doing is key, if you're dreading your workout it'll be hard to stick with, that's why for cardio i do trail running and mountain biking!

toyrunner95

Explorer
so today i did 2 miles. outside in the weather, last week it was 70 and sunny, today its 42. the gym works much better for me.

as for calories in and out, you are exactly right. i need to learn how to put down the fork. back in highschool i could eat anything beacuse i was wrestling. 2 hours a day plus match days. in college i spent more time sitting on my ***. i try to walk to school at least once a week. sometimes twice. its about 2 miles with a 35lbs pack.

the calories in and out are exactly right. i like the eating whatever for lunch idea. that way i dont sleep on calories and have them stored. tonight its a grilled chicken ceaser salad. and now im going to go eat a mango. mmmm.

i need to write down an actual workout. crunches, pushups, situps, bench, that kind of stuff. so far i think i have lost 5 lbs, but in mot sure. if so, them im on my way.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
toyrunner95 said:
so today i did 2 miles. outside in the weather, last week it was 70 and sunny, today its 42. the gym works much better for me.

as for calories in and out, you are exactly right. i need to learn how to put down the fork. back in highschool i could eat anything beacuse i was wrestling. 2 hours a day plus match days. in college i spent more time sitting on my ***. i try to walk to school at least once a week. sometimes twice. its about 2 miles with a 35lbs pack.

the calories in and out are exactly right. i like the eating whatever for lunch idea. that way i dont sleep on calories and have them stored. tonight its a grilled chicken ceaser salad. and now im going to go eat a mango. mmmm.

i need to write down an actual workout. crunches, pushups, situps, bench, that kind of stuff. so far i think i have lost 5 lbs, but in mot sure. if so, them im on my way.

Sounds like you are on your way. I put a scale in nest to the shower. It helps to keep me on track. If I start to creep up in the lbs's I notice it quickly before the increase is too big of a deal and it gives me some more incentive to get on the darn bike.
Plus, everytime my phone turns on it I have it set to read "I know it's hot, but go and ride you wuss!" Makes me laugh and it works.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
toyrunner95 said:
espically if zombies attack.

Aahh, you too are afraid of the Zombies. I just added to my Zombie killer collection by the way of Springfield Armory SoCom II. I enjoy it and it has a little more "Push" than my Colt AR.

IH8RDS

Explorer
I caught a nasty virus coming back from Kuwait in 2000. Triggered my ulcerative colitis (didnt know I had it) and I dropped 40lbs in one month. Got down to 140. After about 5 years I finally got back up to 180 and it was under control. Now I sit at 185 with moderate exercise. I'm 5'10". I could stand to loose about 5 lbs.

I say go to Kuwait and catch a virus :exclaim:

762X39

Explorer
When I wanted to join the forces (back when I was 30) I started to do the usual... 180 pushups and situps every night. It made my GMT (you folks call it basic training) go by quite easily. I couldn't believe that I was in better shape than the 17 and 18 year olds I was training with.
Fast forward to 10 years after my stint was done and I had put on a few (30) pounds and I was out of shape. So.... I stopped eating all the white crap that helped me build a flabby body. I cut out bread, potatoes and rice. I also started walking again. I lost 30 pounds in about 2 month and than I started taking a martial arts/aerobics course call Krav Maga. It busted my balls like PT in the forces and I loved it.
I have fallen by the wayside again (I turned 49 yesterday) but I am still in better shape than alot of people I know. I will likely get back into Krav to tone my body and lose about 15 pounds (or turn it into muscle since I am 5'11 and weigh 180 pounds. For me it was simply just suck it up and do it. I hope it will be as easy for you!

toyrunner95

Explorer
yeah my calfs (the strongest muscle in my body i think) are not liking me at the moment. they hurt something fierce.

the reason i gained so much so fast is because i found out i have a hidal hernia, and ulcers. so i couldent really jump around or fight or ride a bike or anything. so i just sat there. now that the ulcers are cleard up i can work out laying down again. i couldent do a bench, couldent do a pushup, i wasnt allowed to. i need to write a workout down and stick with it.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
My weight has been creeping up with age. :( Some of the medication I am on also is causing some weight gain and water retention. I hit 240 2 months ago and said that was it!

I'm 6'1" and just got back down to 225lb. Most of it was cutting my calorie intake down to around 1500 a day. I also just started riding my bike to work 2-3 times a week to get my cardio exercise. I'm just not one for Gym's but riding to work I think is something I can maintain.

Hope to be under 200lb in about 2 more months. Then see if I can maintain it and get the Doc to OK me dropping a couple of these meds.

Ah! I know exactly what you fine folks are dealing with! It doesn't help that I sit in my "office" for 9 hours a day. The fast food joints beckon me like sirens just waiting to smash the hell out of me on the rocks!

I was down to 268 lbs before we had our first kiddo. I think I must have gained the dreaded "sympathy pounds" because I am now up to 280 lbs... Crap! At my heaviest I was 332 lbs! Good Lord that is a darn big number!

I know exactly what to do to lose the weight! Eating healthy and exercising like a fool... I just hate doing it! The weight does come off. It goes on easier but the rewards are much sweeter when you jump on the scale and have met a personal weight goal. Set goals that are attainable and realistic and you will stick with the program.

So here goes my new goal that is inspired by this thread...

I want to be down to 250 lbs by my 30th birthday!

That is 09-25! It's about 127 days or so and about 18 weeks from today. At a safe average of 2 lbs of fat loss per week I could realistically be down to 244 lbs. It won't be easy but it is doable! I wish you luck in your weight loss endeavor and I'll keep checking in on this thread to see how we're all doing! :REExeSwimmingHL: :bike_rider:

Bjorn

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Maybe we should start a specific weight loss type thread with the obligatory before shot in speedos....:jump:

Weight at start and target weight......I posted in jan in regards to the normal happy fat boy middle age spread...worked for a while and then fell of the wagon as usual.

Gym..god what a boring place unless your single...

Running...no the knee's have had it.... snow board every day...whoppee sign me up...

oops forgot moved to CA and live in a sandpit:xxrotflma

I used to be on a weimeraner website which did this....and with a charity donation...........pounds gained V's pounds lost...ie some financial motivation along with the "internet" public weekly weigh in's

In my past I've been an active outdoors sports dude, teaching windsurfing canoeing, diving, humping tanks......

and now 20 years later I poke little square keys and move a mouse for a living

The boose and food consumption however stayed the same...hence the man **********:mad:

TheGillz

Explorer
I am really dissappointed with the direction this thread has taken. The OP clearly stated his concern of a zombie attack and I think it's a disservice to ignore this inevidable circumstance.

4125B4ZVXHL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1400049628/ref=cm_rdp_product_img

jim65wagon

TheGillz said:
I am really dissappointed with the direction this thread has taken. The OP clearly stated his concern of a zombie attack and I think it's a disservice to ignore this inevidable circumstance.

4125B4ZVXHL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1400049628/ref=cm_rdp_product_img

I've got this book on my shelf, if you're concerned at all about zombies it is a must read! There is no mention of vampire zombies; which still would not require silver bullets (that'd be werewolves); simple headshot = no zombie...

toyrunner95

Explorer
yes i have that book as well.... scared me **** less. i bought "i am legend" as well.. actually something funny to tell you. i was watching it about 2 weeks ago and there is a scene where will smith is working out and i said to my gf i want to look like that! she looked at me and said awww im sorry honey but you will never be 6' tall and black.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
5'11" and 240 here. Heaviest i'v ever been by 20lbs or so, put it on after a health issue and now i want to get it off. I like the idea of a thread where those looking for assistance/support or just to brag over their success can update.

Recently joined a gym (Planet Fitness) that has hours i can make it to after getting off work at midnight-2am. I have a bad back, plan is to do alot of treadmill and bike work.

I'm not eating healthy, i only eat at home on the weekends when i can see the wife and kids.

Would a 40lb loss by Jan 1st be a reasonable goal?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier