NPOTA - National Parks On The Air

whatevah

Observer
This seems like the perfect thing for overlanding hams. http://www.arrl.org/npota

Similar to SOTA (Summits on the air) and IOTA (Islands on the air) in function, this is a year-long event to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the National Park Service by getting hams on the air in as many national parks (and other facilities) as possible. It's primarily for HF folks, but VHF/UHF might be possible depending on the area. The catch is that as an activator (somebody inside the park), you need to make at least 10 contacts to be considered official and that'll be difficult solely on VHF/UHF.

I'll be using this as an excuse to travel to national parks on the east coast this year, as my schedule will likely not mesh well with another 3 week trip to Utah and the SW region. I'll attempt to "activate" the First State National Historical Park here in Delaware early in January. I got my first HF rig a few weeks ago and am looking forward to playing with it out in the field.

There's a facebook group set up already and there's an ARRL staffer that monitors it.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Another great reason to study a bit more, and get the General license. :beer:
Looks like i need to hit the books again...

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I've seen a couple of youtubes of guys doing 5w VHF contacts with a backpacking yagi while peak-bagging. What you lose in range from frequency and power, you gain by just being the tallest antenna in the area!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online