in need of a new camp axe or hatchet

vwhammer

Adventurer
I went with the Estwing because you can get it nearly anywhere and it seems super durable.(although heavy)
So far I am unimpressed with its edge retention qualities.
I keep finding chips and bits missing from the edge that are a real pain to sharpen out.
Initially I thought it was because I pounded it into the dirt a couple times while trying to split some wood on a recent camping trip.
Maybe I hit a rock or two.
However I sharpened it again and was simply splitting some small wood on a stump in my back yard and noticed a couple spots with a rolled edge and a bit missing off the corner.
It didn't really seem possible.
I will likely sharpen it again, leave it in my emergency bag in the car.
To be totally honest it never really split that well anyway.

I have found that my Silky Gomboy folding saw and a Condor Bushcraft Parang machete does all I need and have found little use for a hatchet/axe.
It also seems (just by feel) that my combo does not weigh any more or possibly even less than the Estwing and its leather cover. (I have nothing to weigh it with)

I can baton with the machete and split nearly as well as the Estwing did and the saw processes wood of all sizes way faster than any axe or hatchet.
This is just my opinion and it works for me.
Might be worth exploring.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
I have the Fiscars X7 hatchet. While it does a great job initially at cutting small branches and whatnot, the edge gets rough and uneven quick. I have to make sure I have my hatchet sharpener with me and even then, I have to shave off so much metal to just get a decent edge back on it... I wish I had a good rough edge picture to post.

IMG_3255_zpse7053b5e.jpg

my fiskars splitting axe is the same way. It gets chips and gouges and i definitely dont abuse it. I always used it chopping on top of a large stump so its not like I was splitting into the ground.

It sharpened back out fine using a lansky puck, but still.

I have yet to use the husqvarna carpenters axe i ended up getting for christmas.

Wook_Train

I was so impressed with my hand forged Swedish axe (Gransfors Bruk) that I got a matching hatchet. They both cut wood like butter, and even have the initials of one of the 13 forgers stamped on the heads. Can't say enough good things about these two, I doubt I'll ever own anything else.
View attachment 331390

Last edited:

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
The previous axe thread from a few years back was the greatest thread ever of all time. Pretty hard to top it. But ya the Fiskars is a great axe. Can't go wrong.
I actually have a Gransfork but it was a gift. I would never pay that much for one myself. It's really nice too. The Best, but a lot of cheddar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke