I am in North east , how can I purchase CA Montero's

newworld2004

Adventurer
I have been looking for Montero's for almost 2 years now. We don't have that many option for buying older Gen 2 and 2.5 here in north east. those the one on sale are rusted out or they are 200K + millage, I saw one was posted for $5800 for 99 with 142000 miles and another for 3K 97 LS, both are on CA and for sale by dealer.

what do you guys recommend? not sure buying car from dealer remotely without inspection is wise.

Androvers

Observer
I would definitely find a mobile mechanic in the area(s) and pay to have them do an independent inspection of the vehicles.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Swank Force One

Adventurer
I either get a local buddy to check them out or talk the seller enough to trust them.

Source: have done 3 "fly n drives" and counting. All have worked out pretty well. Twice to CA.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Piece of cake, have a forum member who lives close to there go look at them for you, then fly out and drive it home. Doesn't get much easier than that.

fleavernator

Just did this myself. Look online for a well-reviewed mobile mechanic, talk to them before they go look at the truck and ask them to look at specifics. They email you report, you offer the seller $ then agree on price pending your arrival. Give them a deposit to hold the car, fly out, pay them the rest then drive home. Just make sure they have a copy of the title, otherwise CA DMV will hold a duplicate copy hostage pending you pay "use tax" (B.S.) fees.

newworld2004

Adventurer
I paid less than half that for my 98 with 151k miles on it and perfect leather interior, keep looking.

agreed. with the price of$5800 I can get 2002 or 2003 with same millage. beside being body on frame what other advantages gen 2.5 offer over gen 3? I like the look of gen 2 and 2.5 because they are taller, however it is hard to find one in good condition.

BEG

Adventurer
agreed. with the price of$5800 I can get 2002 or 2003 with same millage. beside being body on frame what other advantages gen 2.5 offer over gen 3? I like the look of gen 2 and 2.5 because they are taller, however it is hard to find one in good condition.

Depending on which years and packages you go with, the Gen 2/2.5 gains you BOF, a factory rear locker, solid rear axle, factory body lift (2.5), drive flanges that can be replaced with manual hubs, metal bumpers, rain gutters for mounting racks, sliding rear windows and bigger 3rd row seats, among other things.

There always seems to be a half dozen or so Gen 2/2.5 Monty's on c-list in the NY/ tri-state area. Just to give you an idea on price, I paid $1600 for my '00 and $950 for my '98. I don't think they get much higher than about $2500 depending on the condition.

DanF.

Adventurer
Thank you all for your feed back. I am sure it is not going to be easy process, but worth try .

I like this one but seems too high 99 Montero for $5800.

https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/13183725

Thx again.

Heads-up, I almost bought a car from this seller. I used to live in Oakland, CA and moved to TX this past summer. Anyway, the guy was kind of shady, and over the course of several emails he blew me off even though I was trying to give him money for a car. Not saying you're gonna have an issue, but X-600.net didn't seem like a good seller. YMMV

newworld2004

Adventurer
Heads-up, I almost bought a car from this seller. I used to live in Oakland, CA and moved to TX this past summer. Anyway, the guy was kind of shady, and over the course of several emails he blew me off even though I was trying to give him money for a car. Not saying you're gonna have an issue, but X-600.net didn't seem like a good seller. YMMV
Thank you for warning , they seems to be shady. I did email them for more info and carfax report, however didn't get back to me yet.

cr4x4cruiser

Observer
For what it's worth...

We bought our 1999 Montero SR, with 106,000 original miles, from a used car dealer in San Diego [April 2015].
It had minor imperfections, and there was very little haggling.
The net price was over $1,000 less than the vehicle you posted.
Low mileage Monteros are not seen that often here in L.A.
Dealers do [more often than not] price 'em higher than private sellers [then again CL has its fair share of deluded sellers wanting for ridiculous prices].
I, personally, use 'AutoCheck' to check out any vehicle, since the vast majority of dealers/ sellers use 'Carfax'.
You would be amazed at how many vehicles end up having mileage issues [rollbacks].
Because of the decent climate it is not hard to find vehicles with 200,000+ miles on them being in really nice [cosmetic] condition, especially when parked side by side with most any vehicle from the Northeast U.S.
Can you find one out here? Yes.
Can you locate decent dealers? Yes.
Will it take time? More than likely.
Further, I seem to have found more low-mileage vehicles up around San Francisco and Sacramento than Southern California.
As well, unless there are repair documents with the vehicle I would expect to be doing a timing belt service - much sooner than later.
Good luck...

If you find one in the L.A. area I would be glad to stop by and give you my opinion.

- William

newworld2004

Adventurer
I am very much appreciate you posted you buying experience with us. I find two first owner within 300 miles were I live, however dealer asking way more money they should be ,for example 05 2 with appx 100K for $8500 and 03 with 80K miles for 7K.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier