Google Maps: now with offline support

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
could be a huge impact on much of the mapping apps on the market.
will be trying it out soon

ZMagic97

Explorer
Downloaded the strip are of Vegas on my tablet. I'm heading there in about a week: curious to see how well it works.

ZWilson07

Definitely interested to see where this goes.

Even if it isn't the best, it could kickstart the market to follow suit.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Wow, this could be a game changer.

Although my Garmin maps seem to be far superior for 4x4 trails, Google maps tend to be more accurate on what roads are still likely to be passable roads.

wildorange

Observer
This is welcoming news & I suspect files will be small but regular.

Very interesting to see if other applications may follow suit given time to see the impact to the industry & end user.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doug720

Expedition Leader
What bothers me, and yes, I don't have social media accounts, and I don't have the GPS on my phone on...is that as soon as GMaps gets a signal, it sends a record of all your travels back to Google. I'll stick to my stand alone Ipad set up, or some other non "Connected" GPS tool.

elliottblackwood

Adventurer
I tested this out a couple weekends ago. I have about a 200 sq mile region of Southern California downloaded and it worked great when I was in an area with no service. Granted, you obviously don't get traffic, weather, and other updates, nor do you see the level of detail of establishments as the online version, but for rudimentary navigation it worked perfectly.

AaronK

Explorer
It always says it may be that big, it never is. After 29 days the cache will automatically update

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior