Lockhart Basin North to South - Nissan Frontier

unkamonkey

Explorer
Thanks everyone for the replies!

Larry I like your video. Lately I'm thinking F350 extended cab 6' bed, 6.2L gas engine, 4.30 gears w/factory locker, on 35's with the stock lift (probably level the front), and a FWC Hawk in the back. Out on the trails in AZ, CO, and UT I've seen some full size trucks in places I would never imagine they could go, your video is an example. I thought this trial would be nearly impossible in a full size but obviously not.
Naw, "Boy" took a 1 ton crew cab long bed over the trail. Some turns were a bit tight.

unkamonkey

Explorer
Yes your story makes the point as well. The extended cab short bed F350 I want is tiny compared to the "Boy's" truck, I should be fine :truck:
Actually, parts of the trail were easier for him due to the longer wheelbase. The front wheels were over the obstical before the rears got into the holes left by previous drivers. I followed him for most of the trail, sort of surprising how much an unloaded truck will still twist it's frame at times.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Actually, parts of the trail were easier for him due to the longer wheelbase. The front wheels were over the obstical before the rears got into the holes left by previous drivers. I followed him for most of the trail, sort of surprising how much an unloaded truck will still twist it's frame at times.

Exactly, I could see a SWB struggling more than a LWB on Lockhart. The biggest and heaviest truck in our group was a 2005 Dodge 2500 quad cab Cummins SWB with a full width Phoenix popup camper. He didn’t have any issues but he is also a well-seasoned off-roader with over 25 years experience behind the wheel. Actually, he had less issues turning tight corners that I did as I am locked where the old girl doesn’t like to turn very well (I badly want to move to selectable lockers rather than mechanical Detroits). You can see me take 3 point turns when the long trucks are taking 1 or 2 point turns.

Funny thing is before we took this vacation we were all a bit nervous about Lockhart after watching a few Youtubes (the two Dodges were completely stock except front leveling kits). It actually turned out to be a piece of cake in the real world. The videos of the Jeeps where a young guy and his mom took their Jeeps over it was pretty sad. They beat the hell out of those poor Jeeps whereas we came out without a single scratch. It really boils down to the driver’s skill set more than the vehicle most times.

GoPro views give a different perspective

I had also watched a Youtube of another Jeep that was off to the side of the trail with a winch cable going to his nerf bar to keep him from rolling off. That spot is at 1:18. After being there, I have no idea how someone could get in such a predicament in that spot unless the really short wheelbase of a XJ prevented him from going straight up

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Great writeup and pics! That gorge on the north end of the trail is a real eye opener. My buddy Geoff and I did it from south to north back in '06. I think the trail has been degraded quite a bit since then by use and floods. My hat is off to you! I was with Frenchie and Ace in October this year. After four days of rain and mud, I decided not to try the trail with them. My small trailer would have taken a beating. Those guys are fearless! Here is a pic of what it was like nine years ago doing the switchbacks just before the gorge.

Geoff & the Ravine Moab 2006.jpg

outback97

Adventurer
Great photos and trip report, very cool!

Can one run this as an up and back route from the south end to decrease the difficulty? It sounds like it might be a bit more than we want to take on but I'd love to see that area.

outback97

Adventurer
Great photos and trip report, very cool!

Can one run this as an up and back route from the south end to decrease the difficulty? It sounds like it might be a bit more than we want to take on but I'd love to see that area.

Bumping this back up, hoping someone that's been there can comment on it. Thanks.

projected

Adventurer
Yes you can definitely do that, the road is long so out and back from the South is still a great drive.

What are you driving?

projected

Adventurer
Great writeup and pics! That gorge on the north end of the trail is a real eye opener. My buddy Geoff and I did it from south to north back in '06. I think the trail has been degraded quite a bit since then by use and floods. My hat is off to you! I was with Frenchie and Ace in October this year. After four days of rain and mud, I decided not to try the trail with them. My small trailer would have taken a beating. Those guys are fearless! Here is a pic of what it was like nine years ago doing the switchbacks just before the gorge.

View attachment 318482

Thanks! I like the option of being able to back up easily, I have trouble getting on board with the trailer idea for more challenging trails. Of course I'm making assumptions here as I've never towed an off road trailer, plenty of people do it so it can't be that terrible.

outback97

Adventurer
Yes you can definitely do that, the road is long so out and back from the South is still a great drive.

What are you driving?

We have a stockish (just tires and some armor) OR Xterra, and a Subaru Outback. We'd take the Xterra in this case.

My wife's tolerance for rocky and off camber is low, so mainly making sure it would be worth the drive up from the south. Thanks!

projected

Adventurer
We have a stockish (just tires and some armor) OR Xterra, and a Subaru Outback. We'd take the Xterra in this case.

My wife's tolerance for rocky and off camber is low, so mainly making sure it would be worth the drive up from the south. Thanks!

If you're not already doing it, airing down the Xterra to 15-20lbs (depending on your tires) will make your wife much happier.... Ca-D-Lac.

outback97

Adventurer
If you're not already doing it, airing down the Xterra to 15-20lbs (depending on your tires) will make your wife much happier.... Ca-D-Lac.

True about the lower PSI smoothing out the ride, it does make a big difference!

My wife loves traveling backroads, but "offroading", not so much. Anything that feels a little tippy or off camber, or shelf roads, that's what freaks her out. That's more what I'm trying to avoid :)

unkamonkey

Explorer
The only real tough spot is the gorge on the North end. One of the canyons we headed had a few large rocks in it. Otherwise, I did the rest in 2WD. I suppose you could do it both ways in a day but it would be a fairly long day depending on where you started from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior