Magellan eXplorist TRX7 - Anyone have experience with it yet?

dlh62c

Explorer
What type of device are you suggesting then?

A Garmin GPS unit, especially if you intend to travel internationally.

Free TOPO Maps can be found here.

Garmin's Basecamp software available for PC or Mac is a great free offline route planning tool. You can build a data base of the places you've been, where you plan to go and where others have traveled. The software loads and utilizes the map set stored on the GPS when the software is launched.

Bob04.jpg

Last edited:
I suspected you were going to say that. A dedicated GPS unit is Inferior compared to a phone or tablet in a rugged case, especially for international travel. Who wants to carry a laptop around just so they can update their GPS maps?

andrewh

/dev/4wd
Yup, it's definitely Agavelvr reincarnated.

No kidding, ban this guy too. :)

Getting back on topic and ignoring the "no im right, no IM right debate" Id like to hear some experiences FROM PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY OWN THE DEVICE............

Im still interested in it, and the fact that almost everyone in Australia LOVES the hema HN7, shows there is a market, for people willing to pay.

Back on topic please.

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
I think the offroad market is there - at least in some parts of the world. Australia being a slam dunk for something like this. Parts of US perhaps a close second.

I know this isn't very helpful as I don't own the device, but if it has the features you want (and perhaps more), and you can afford it, I think you should buy it after trying it out somewhere.

Edit: Personally, I like Garmin's Zumo models, as it has winding roads. But my needs and wants aren't your needs and wants.

andrewh

/dev/4wd
I bit the bullet and purchased a unit. Hopefully it will be here before our wheeling trip to Asheville nc area.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
like i said in the group on fb

Its going to come down to the community embracing this, adding routes, not being super secretive dicks. If that can happen, this is going to be the best thing to happen to the off roading community since someone calling offroading overlanding

LoupGarou

I bit the bullet and purchased a unit. Hopefully it will be here before our wheeling trip to Asheville nc area.

Let us know how it works out for you.

For the price, I'm curious how it does regarding on-road routing or is off-road track following all its designed for and capable of?

Can one load the unit with a *.gpx file from GPSxchange, or any *.gpx file that contains a on-road route to get me there, an off-road track to follow once I arrive and way points for places to see on the way and once I'm there?

Can it utilize proximity alerts on way points?

How well would the unit support a trip down into Baja or mainland Mexico?

Last edited:

andrewh

/dev/4wd
Let us know how it works out for you.

For the price, I'm curious how it does regarding on-road routing or is off-road track following all its designed for and capable of?

Can one load the unit with a *.gpx file from GPSxchange, or any *.gpx file that contains a on-road route to get me there, an off-road track to follow once I arrive and way points for places to see on the way and once I'm there?

Can it utilize proximity alerts on way points?

How well would the unit support a trip down into Baja or mainland Mexico?

I havent gotten it yet, but there are people who have uploaded them to the web site easily enough. I dont yet know if it has full details for Mex or Canada.Ill post an initial review if it gets here for the asheville trip this weekend. In may i head to cruise moab and expo west. Certainly will give it a workout then.

andrewh

/dev/4wd
like i said in the group on fb

Its going to come down to the community embracing this, adding routes, not being super secretive dicks. If that can happen, this is going to be the best thing to happen to the off roading community since someone calling offroading overlanding

Ill share what i find with you, but you need to head down south from CT :) Also if i hit up vermont overland, id hope to get some pointers for your state from you!

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
Ill share what i find with you, but you need to head down south from CT :) Also if i hit up vermont overland, id hope to get some pointers for your state from you!

There are no pointers. Wheeling and primitive camping are illegal in the entire state.

Ill be at OEX and Rendezvouz. Not VOR this year

I also uploaded some tracts to the magellan site. Its very easy, imported straight from Gaia

andrewh

/dev/4wd
So initial reports is its a neat tool, overpriced given the fact that it is locked down Android wise, no app store. Still playing with it. biggest bummer is NO TURN BY TURN navigation for GETTING to the trails. Hopfully this will be an additional feature going forward. There is a external memory card, but no need for it right now, so i expect some features to get added as the new image included a few additional features. Next weekend heading out again, will be using the mytrxjournal to add the trails to the wishlist and see what else i find.

free app does all the tablet does, if it wasnt locked down i would recommend. Right now, i cannot. Ill update as new features come out or i figure out new features :)

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Lack of Play store support may be an intended feature? Given the rarified usage profile locking it down so it doesn't get polluted with crapware from the Play store may be a good thing. Guaranteed success for navigation, support, etc.

JAT

andrewh

/dev/4wd
Lack of Play store support may be an intended feature? Given the rarified usage profile locking it down so it doesn't get polluted with crapware from the Play store may be a good thing. Guaranteed success for navigation, support, etc.

JAT

True, but it also means that i cant install a regular turn by turn navi software that would make this much more useful for me. Hell even if it only allowed magellan stuff, id be good using their turn by turn as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94