Magellan eXplorist TRX7 - Anyone have experience with it yet?

jwilliams

Observer
Yeah, I have been a Garmin guy all my life. And for off-road needs I use GAIA on a Nexus 7.
It would be great to have a "off-road" centered tablet that the community as a whole accepts as the standard.
I really like how the Magellan one caters to most of our needs. And the "on-line" community aspect of it would be great for all of us to share files through.
Would make a state by state, legal trail system discovery in digital format much easier to get behind.

texascrane

Adventurer
It looks awesome but I'm not interested in a $600 dedicated device. I just struggle with the reasoning behind releasing a dedicated device that doesn't do anything that can't already be done with a smartphone or tablet. Now, if they released an android and iphone app for say $30 a year that did all of that? I'd buy it in a heartbeat. And it would probably be more profitable for them as well.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
It looks awesome but I'm not interested in a $600 dedicated device. I just struggle with the reasoning behind releasing a dedicated device that doesn't do anything that can't already be done with a smartphone or tablet. Now, if they released an android and iphone app for say $30 a year that did all of that? I'd buy it in a heartbeat. And it would probably be more profitable for them as well.

^^^ THIS! ^^^

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Also, Do you have to be a huge hipster to use it? the video showed that you do, beard, apple computer, coffee...I think he was navigating to the local starbucks or apple store..ha ha.

In all seriousness, the Magellan has some cool features.

Yuccahead

Adventurer
I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by everything the TRX7 offers. In a Jeep, a tablet running BCN will cover my needs but for something like an ATV, this seems like a good option if the price is right.

texascrane

Adventurer
I was checking out the TRX7 a bit more and saw that it's actually running Android. So it seems to me that if they were so inclined, releasing an app with the same functionality would be relatively simple.

superbuickguy

Explorer

Your tablet is not iP67 rated.

for your reading pleasure, this is what that means....
What Does IP67 Mean?
IP stands for 'Ingress Protection'
An IP number is used to specify the environmental protection of enclosures around electronic equipment. These ratings are determined by specific tests.
The IP number is composed of two numbers, the first referring to the protection against solid objects and the second against liquids. The higher the number, the better the protection.

First Number
0 - No protection (Sometimes X)
1 - Protected against solid objects up to 50mm³
2 - Protected against solid objects up to 12mm³
3 - Protected against solid objects up to 2.5mm³
4 - Protected against solid objects up to 1mm³
5 - Protected against dust, limited ingress (no harmful deposit)
6 - Totally protected against dust

Second Number
Second Number
0 - No protection (Sometimes X)
1 - Protection against vertically falling drops of water (e.g. condensation)
2 - Protection against direct sprays of water up to 15 degrees from vertical
3 - Protection against direct sprays of water up to 60 degrees from vertical
4 - Protection against water sprayed from all directions - limited ingress permitted
5 - Protected against low pressure jets of water from all directions - limited ingress permitted
6 - Protected against low pressure jets of water, limited ingress permitted (e.g. ship deck)
7 - Protected against the effect of immersion between 15cm and 1m
8 - Protected against long periods of immersion under pressure

texascrane

Adventurer
Your tablet is not iP67 rated.

That's quite an assumption... But let's assume it's true for a minute. Why do I need an IP67 rated tablet for use inside of my 100-series? If the tablet gets that wet inside of my vehicle, I've got bigger problems to worry about. For an ATV or something that might be used outside in the elements, I can see that being a useful feature - which is why my smartphone is IP67 rated.

for your reading pleasure, this is what that means....
What Does IP67 Mean?

Gee thanks. I've never heard of that before... :rolleyes:

and by way of comparison. A tablet that is iP67 or iP68 rated costs between 1500 and 3000 USD.

What???? If that's true, then how did Mageallan manage to create one for $600. First off, my IP-67 rated Galaxy S5 cost me about $400 last year. There are plenty of phones on the market with IP67 ratings. You can buy a brand new IP68 rated Galaxy S6 Active for $600. Second, a cursory glance with google or amazon will show you that there are a number of tablets with IP67 ratings available for under $400.

So again, it's not really offering me anything that my smart phone or tablet can't do.

Last edited:

superbuickguy

Explorer
drop your tablet in water then we'll talk about there being no difference. I went down this route not terribly long ago, but if you don't want to benefit from my experience or knowledge - I really couldn't care less.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles