Polaris RZR XP Turbo Build Off Vehicle

bmzero

Observer
Update - Voting is now live at Polaris Facebook Page.

Polaris-RZR-Turbo-XPD-4.jpg

More photos and details at http://expeditionutv.com/project-xpd-polaris-rzr-xp-turbo-expedition-build/.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I am working with Polaris to build a new 2016 RZR XP Turbo for a build off competition. They left the theme of the build up to each of the builders. I have chosen to go with an expedition theme. Seeing how quickly UTV's are evolving in power and reliability, they're sure to soon be popular for longer expedition type trips.

For this build, I would like to get some suggestions from this forum. My background is mostly in racing, so the whole "enjoy the ride" thing is new to me, but I'm looking forward to slowing down a little.

Here's the RZR XP Turbo that I picked up yesterday.

918f798e-2ab6-429b-8799-7afbb663bcb7-s.jpg

My initial plans:
  • 33" Light Truck Tires
  • 16" Beadlock Wheels
  • Portal boxes from SXSGear
  • Large Removable Roof Rack on RZR
  • Dry/Secure Storage in Rear of RZR
  • Robust DC Power System
  • Trailer to Transport Heavy Items
  • Large Solar Charging Panels on the Trailer
  • Fold Out Rooftop Platform on Trailer for 2-Man Tent

Obviously the trailer is the big item in that list. Seeing the lower towing capacity of the UTV, I'll probably have to build my own trailer unless you guys know of a light trailer that would work. If I biuld one, it will, most likely, have a steel frame and aluminum walls/doors. The trailer will run the same wheels/tires as the RZR.

This build has to be done by December 20th, so it will be evolving very quickly. I'll be doing all of the work myself.

Please let me know what you guys think should be included on this vehicle. I already have a pile of sponsors involved, but I'm definitely open to suggestions.

Last edited:

MamboSA

Observer
I don't have any suggestions right now, but I'm keen to see how this progresses....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jerstw

Adventurer
Bmzero - Cool concept. Few additions worth considering (keep I in mind stating these without any regard for budget or time)

1. Lowrance Baja GPS (several variations to chose from but any of them would be pretty awesome to see in a RZR)
2. Sounds like the ATV Wagon Trailers are not going to fit the theme of your build so home-built likley best option
3. Max Coupler for connecting the wagon and RZR
4. Rigid LED lighting on the front and back of the RZR
5. Obviously a winch on the RZR and perhaps one on the back of the trailer for rearward extractions
6. Pull-Pal or something along these lines suited for UTV's
7. On-board water storage (5-10 gallons)
8. Shower setup like a Road Shower 2 would be pretty sweet
9. Spare wheel / tire on the RZR and trailer
10. C02 Power Tank (smaller size)
11. Boxes should be set up to hold the basic spare parts and tools along with some kitchen / food items
12. Ax or saw of some kind

bmzero

Observer
Bmzero - Cool concept. Few additions worth considering (keep I in mind stating these without any regard for budget or time)

1. Lowrance Baja GPS (several variations to chose from but any of them would be pretty awesome to see in a RZR)
2. Sounds like the ATV Wagon Trailers are not going to fit the theme of your build so home-built likley best option
3. Max Coupler for connecting the wagon and RZR
4. Rigid LED lighting on the front and back of the RZR
5. Obviously a winch on the RZR and perhaps one on the back of the trailer for rearward extractions
6. Pull-Pal or something along these lines suited for UTV's
7. On-board water storage (5-10 gallons)
8. Shower setup like a Road Shower 2 would be pretty sweet
9. Spare wheel / tire on the RZR and trailer
10. C02 Power Tank (smaller size)
11. Boxes should be set up to hold the basic spare parts and tools along with some kitchen / food items
12. Ax or saw of some kind

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am working on getting one of these.

2881322.jpg

Part of the requirements of this build off was for us to use between $2000 and $2500 of accessories from the Polaris catalog. As part of that, I did get a very nice winch setup (below), but I ran out of allowance before I could get the GPS. It's out of my pocket if I decide to purchase it. Ouch.

2879186.jpg

Ironically, I had thought about building a similar (to the Max Coupler) setup with a simple high-misalignment heim joint for the trailer coupler. I will follow up on the Max Coupler. That's a nice system.

I have worked with Power Tank in the past. I have already reached out to them for this project. Their products would be a good fit.

I'll be using lights from KC HiLites. I use their Flex bars on my race cars and they're amazing. I'll also be using their Cyclone lights for area lighting (ie. rock lights, trailer loading lights, etc.).

36268d7b-7c3b-4b53-944b-774632912fb6-s.jpg

I will check into the Pull Pal. That's a good idea.

I do plan on having a shower setup. I'll check out the one you mentioned.

I plan on carrying two spares in the trailer. The RZR and the trailer will use the same wheel/tire combo, so 2 should be sufficient.

Thanks again for the suggestions. If anything else comes to mind, please let me know.

jerstw

Adventurer
Welcome. Sounds like it should be pretty awesome when you are done. Look forward to seeing the final 'rendition'. That Polaris Lowrance unit is very nice, did not realize they had a co-branded GPS.

One additional item worth adding would be a decent first aid kit.

Last edited:

bmzero

Observer
Welcome. Sounds like it should be pretty awesome when you are done. Look forward to seeing the final 'rendition'. That Polaris Lowrance unit is very nice, did not realize they had a co-branded GPS.

One additional item with adding would be a decent first aid kit.

They had the HDS-5m a while back as well. I had one of those in my desert race RZR and really liked it. The 7 is on a whole new level.

Good call on the first aid kit. Thanks.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Since weight is definitely going to be an issue, why not go full aluminium with the trailer frame as well? Would cost a bit more in fab work trying to find someone who's good with tig welding aluminium but I would think the weight savings would be very beneficial for this setup (even as little as 50lbs).

I didn't even know portal axles were available for these. That's pretty awesome!

bmzero

Observer
Since weight is definitely going to be an issue, why not go full aluminium with the trailer frame as well? Would cost a bit more in fab work trying to find someone who's good with tig welding aluminium but I would think the weight savings would be very beneficial for this setup (even as little as 50lbs).

I didn't even know portal axles were available for these. That's pretty awesome!

Welding aluminum is not a problem. I do a lot of that on the race RZR's, but I am not sold on it for the chassis of the trailer just yet. It's definitely in the fight, though. I'm going to draw up the trailer in Solidworks and compare the weight between the aluminum chassis and a steel chassis. If there's significant difference, I may go with aluminum.

e1d321a7-1435-4899-86c7-7af1d5efa358-s.jpg

The portals are fairly new to the market, but there are a few companies out there producing them. The advantages are great on the UTV's.

finalfinish

The problem with utv's in general for exploration is fuel. Needs a larger tank/built in storage for extra fuel tanks. This is the primary reason I rarely use rzr's anymore, although they are awesome and fun.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

bmzero

Observer
The problem with utv's in general for exploration is fuel. Needs a larger tank/built in storage for extra fuel tanks. This is the primary reason I rarely use rzr's anymore, although they are awesome and fun.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

What about an auxiliary fuel cell in the trailer with a DC powered pump? How much fuel do you thing would be enough (maybe a tough question - how much is enough)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles