Newbie with Gen 3 Montero Amp Questions

MrInternational

First off I just wanted to introduce myself as I am new to the forum and a new Gen 3 Montero owner. I have been surfing this site for the last few years as I have always dreamed of making an Overland trip down the Pan American highway in a FJ80 or FJ100 LC. But with all things in life, the best laid plans always seem to go astray and instead ended up moving around the country and buying a '05 Montero instead. So far it has been a great vehicle to take me from SoCal to Miami to Chicagoland. Since my dream trip of traveling the PanAmerican highway has been put on hold for a couple more years, I have been upgrading the rig from the inside which brings me to the question below.

So I am in the process of upgrading the audio system in my Montero and am now stuck at a crossroads on which amp if any I should upgrade to or keep the stock Infiniti amp.

Current Setup:

Headunit: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X798

Front & Rear Speakers: 6.5" Kicker 40CS654

Tweeters: Kicker 3/4" 31CST204

I just ordered an 8" Polk db840 sub to replace the stock sub which leaves me with the amp left.

Now my question to the community is, which amp would you recommend for this setup? I have been told go with a 5 channel AMP and these are the ones that I have come up with within my budget:

1. Kenwood Excelon X700-5
2. JVC KS-AX3205D
3. Retain the stock Infiniti Amp

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. While I am not looking to play my music very loud, I want to appreciate all the high's, mid's and lows. Currently I have the high's and mid's covered and now just need the lows provided by the sub.

Thanks again!

earljuic3

Adventurer
Stock amp isn't a good option once you start going aftermarket, I have mine rigged up to work for now but it leaves a lot to be desired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plh

Explorer
I replaced my head unit (Kenwood) and sub (Polk). Actually think the stock amp sounds remarkably good with only these 2 components swapped out. Maybe the capacitors are still good.

MrInternational

Just an update for those that are curious and or looking to do the same to their rides, I went ahead and purchased the JVC KS-AX3205D 1000 watt amp, returned the Polk db840 in favor of the Kicker CompR 8" DVC 40CWR84 that can take better advantage of the Amp at 2-ohm.

Also, I got lucky in the installer at Best Buy I have used had a couple of passive crossovers laying around the shop and sold them to me cheap. These worked perfectly with my setup without having to replace everything.

I will probably install the Amp and Sub after Thanksgiving and then report back on how everything went overall.

jasonsuperb

Observer
I am also wondering about this, I have the whole rear part of my montero pulled apart right now to check out the amp and sub and ordered a replacement sub but am wondering if I should replace the amp while I am at it. Is there an amp that would be relatively plug and play with the stock wiring harness? I don't want to have to tear more of the truck apart to route new wires everywhere if possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94