Trailer Build for Expedition UTV

bmzero

Observer
I am about to start a trailer build to pull behind a purpose built 2016 Polaris RZR XP Turbo. The RZR will also be a full expedition build.

Here's the RZR. I picked it up yesterday.

918f798e-2ab6-429b-8799-7afbb663bcb7-s.jpg

Vehicle build thread is listed in the Other Vehicles section. I'm grounded from posting links here.

Here are my initial thoughts about the trailer:
2200lb leaf spring axle
5on5.5 hubs to match custom hubs machined to accept truck wheels/tires on RZR (so trailer wheels/tires will match RZR)
Robust DC Power System
2 Large (27" x 65") Solar Panels on the Trailer (Stion)
Fold Out Rooftop Platform on Trailer for 2-Man Tent
High mount pintle hitch
DC Freezer
Fuel storage
Water storage
LED flood lights on all four sides
Roof cage of trailer will be built to accept the removable roof rack from RZR (still thinking through this design - issues with panel mounting)

Questions:

1) For the hitch, my original thought was a small, high mounted, pintle hitch. The problem with this idea is that most of the ones I can find are very heavy duty, as are most pintle hitches. Obviously this trailer will not have a massive capacity, so no need to go with a heavy hitch. So, the question is, will the extra articulation of the pintle be worth the weight disadvantage? If so, I may look into having one machined that is lighter weight than the ones on the market now.

2) High mount hitch - on the rear of the roll cage I'm going to build, I will have a good spot to mount a receiver tube. It will probably be about 36" off of the ground. Do you see any problems with that hitch height? I would like to put it there to increase the ground clearance of the trailer during articulation. The hitch on the trailer would also be mounted up high to match up to the RZR.

bmzero

Observer
So, I'm debating the benefits/drawbacks of using an aluminum perimeter frame versus a steel frame. I threw the basic design into Solidworks to do some mass properties. I was blown away with the difference in weight between aluminum and steel for this basic structure.

Steel: 172 lbs.
Aluminum: 59 lbs.

Dimensions: 65"x48"

So, aluminum it is.

8f6a2607-123f-4655-a205-69f3d060ec43-s (1).jpg

bmzero

Observer
Getting a little further with the CAD. The wood grain material will be a light weight composite material. It will actually be more of a black color. Should create a cool visual contrast with the Mac's VersaTie Series 2 track. The entire structure will be 1/4" aluminum, except for the side skins. They will be 1/8".

69ae4a13-a5ae-41f5-a725-18c01ab79f6e-s.jpg

The VersaTie Series 2 track from Mac's Custom Tie downs is great product. I have used it quite bit in other projects. It will be raised slightly to be close to level with the top of the composite flooring.

44e43249-c2c5-47e9-bbe9-2057ca6eb480-s.jpg

Underside

5779f2f2-3522-436f-ac41-d67135a666ae-s.jpg

Bdk

Very cool project, I've built a cheap trailer to pull behind my Teryx and now my Rzr. It is nowhere near as nice as what you have planned but it serves my purposes and more importantly, fits my budget.
ce57ed4eec589e07fe9f9aaaa943245e.jpg

I work in CAD at lot at my job and have designed 3 or 4 different expedition style trailers for utv's so if your looking for ideas I'd be happy to share my thoughts.
They are designed to be 64" wide and short enough to track perfectly behind a Rzr. I have single and tandem axle designs depending on how much gear you want to carry.
I have a question about wheels tho. It sounds like your pretty committed to running truck tires on the Rzr and trailer which makes a lot of sense but I'm curious why your wanting to run truck wheels. Not that there is anything wrong with your plan, but there are several companies making 15" wheels and a handful making 16's,17's, 18's and 20's that are made to fit the Polaris bolt pattern. Are there any benifits to running the truck wheels?

Also, if you're looking for a decent base trailer to start your build you might look at a used single place jet ski trailer. They're about the right width and have about the right weight capacity. The axles and lights are submersible and the frames are light but strong. If I were to build another one that is the route I would take. I've seen a few in good condition going for under $300 on Craigslist.

Last edited:

bmzero

Observer
Here are the updates from the evening drawing session.

Thanks for the suggestions on the trailer. With the relative light weight of the Polaris RZR XP Turbo (1495lbs) and high horsepower (144), I think it will do well pulling a decent trailer, especially since I will have a 30% reduction at the axles due to the portal boxes. The larger OD tire size will eat up some of the gear reduction, though, but only about 50% of it.

I'm pretty much sold on building my own trailer.

Here's where I am now.

2015-11-12_22-58-11.jpg

2015-11-12_22-59-48.jpg

2015-11-12_23-00-24.jpg

2015-11-12_23-00-47.jpg

2015-11-12_23-01-16.jpg

2015-11-12_23-01-54.jpg

2015-11-12_23-10-19.jpg

2015-11-12_23-03-30.jpg

Last edited:

bmzero

Observer
Very cool project, I've built a cheap trailer to pull behind my Teryx and now my Rzr. It is nowhere near as nice as what you have planned but it serves my purposes and more importantly, fits my budget.
ce57ed4eec589e07fe9f9aaaa943245e.jpg

I work in CAD at lot at my job and have designed 3 or 4 different expedition style trailers for utv's so if your looking for ideas I'd be happy to share my thoughts.
They are designed to be 64" wide and short enough to track perfectly behind a Rzr. I have single and tandem axle designs depending on how much gear you want to carry.
I have a question about wheels tho. It sounds like your pretty committed to running truck tires on the Rzr and trailer which makes a lot of sense but I'm curious why your wanting to run truck wheels. Not that there is anything wrong with your plan, but there are several companies making 15" wheels and a handful making 16's,17's, 18's and 20's that are made to fit the Polaris bolt pattern. Are there any benifits to running the truck wheels?

Also, if you're looking for a decent base trailer to start your build you might look at a used single place jet ski trailer. They're about the right width and have about the right weight capacity. The axles and lights are submersible and the frames are light but strong. If I were to build another one that is the route I would take. I've seen a few in good condition going for under $300 on Craigslist.

I am definitely open to any suggestions or design ideas you have. The track width of this RZR will be close to 74". I'm probably going to use a standard, high quality, trailer axle. I can get those in standard sizes from 72" and up.

I really like your watercraft trailer suggestion. For this build, it will be important to keep the weight down. Most of the watercraft trailers I have seen are steel frame. I did a quick Craigslist search and all of the ones for sale around me have a pesky watercraft on them.

The reason for truck wheels is simply the variety in styles and offsets available. Plus, an additional wheel stud (5 lug versus 4) is good insurance. I have a pile of sheared wheel studs from the race cars.

bmzero

Observer
Getting there. The bracket at the rear of the trailer, when the lid is closed, will be duplicated on the front of the trailer. Those four brackets will hold the trailer "roof" rack. The roof rack will be removable for easy flipping of the platform. All I need now is some bar stools!

2015-11-13_11-33-08.jpg

2015-11-13_11-33-46.jpg

2015-11-13_11-34-58.jpg

bmzero

Observer
I'm going to change the hinge from the front to the passenger side. That way, I won't have to unhook to setup camp.

Bdk

Your drawings look very promising, can't wait to see the real thing. I read in your other thread that your working under a deadline. Is there a specific event your planning to take this on?

bmzero

Observer
Your drawings look very promising, can't wait to see the real thing. I read in your other thread that your working under a deadline. Is there a specific event your planning to take this on?

This is for a build off contest with Polaris. The build has to be completed by December 20th. That's why everything is being done at light speed.

So it turns out, I'll be postponing this trailer build for a while. For this build, I'll be pulling a fancy Apex Ultra from Mig Adventure trailers - http://www.migtrailers.com/apex-ultra.html.

I'm not giving up the trailer build, just focusing my efforts on the RZR for now.

bmzero

Observer
As an update, the Mig Trailers Apex Ultra (http://www.migtrailers.com/apex-ultra.html) is in the shop. I'm amazed at how easily this thing folds out into the tent setup. Quite a bit of room inside of it once it opens up.

2015-11-22 18.35.25.jpg

I will be adding a custom roof rack/solar panel mount/table to the top.

2015-11-25_17-11-21.jpg

2015-11-25_17-11-45.jpg

2015-11-25_17-13-50.jpg

Here is a table leg extended.
2015-11-25_17-09-22.jpg

bmzero

Observer
Voting is now open for this competition on Polaris' Facebook page. If you guys like this build, I would really appreciate you casting a vote at the Polaris RZR Facebook Page. Voting only takes a couple of clicks.

Here are some updated photos:
Polaris RZR Turbo XPD-9.jpg

Polaris RZR Turbo XPD-16.jpg

Polaris RZR Turbo XPD-13.jpg

Polaris RZR Turbo XPD-18.jpg

Here is the rack I built on top of the Mig trailer.

20160116_222859.jpg

20160116_222850_20160118154329044.jpg

Here it is removed with the table legs down. This is "camp table" mode.

20160120_215338.jpg

Here is everything but the solar panel loaded up. I'll be fabbing up the solar panel mount this evening.

ProjectXPD - Polaris RZR XP Turbo-1.jpg

ProjectXPD - Polaris RZR XP Turbo-2.jpg

If you like this setup, please take a few seconds to cast a vote on the Polaris RZR Facebook Page. I would really like to show them that the expedition world is ready for a purpose built UTV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz