After hours adventure wagon

NODNARB

Observer
So, I own a small Offroad fab shop, and haven't had time/money for a race truck In over ten years, plus my girlfriend wanted something we could enjoy together. Bought a little broncoII from a tow yard a couple years ago and have kept it pretty simple so far. Cut/turned Dana 35 beams, explorer 8.8 rear axle and 31" tires.
We really want to go see some sights with this thing and be able to Offroad it moderately and still be safe.. So now, I'm starting on a roll cage. It will be a hybrid internal/external cage with the main roof structure doubling as a roof rack. This thing is seriously lacking in the storage dept... Should've just got a 1st gen 4 door explorer... But I digress.
Here's a couple pics of it right now, will try to keep this thread updated with cage progress.
3de5e6c9f11ca652baf0212854d8ed5e.jpg

962c43be17f505b2545b8df29c8e1947.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NODNARB

Observer
Thanks! It's a fun little thing to tool around in. Definitely doesn't have the wheelbase for high speed stuff! Haha

4x4junkie

Explorer
Cool, another BII. :)
(for some reason the thread title had me thinking there might be a Dodge Power Wagon in here, but nope!)

Indeed, a BII's fun factor is quite hard to beat... I've had mine since '04 and it been nothing short of a great truck.
Given the small exterior size, I find the amount of room inside quite amazing, actually (how guys manage any gear at all inside of a Jeep TJ or similar is something that's always eluded me, certainly it doesn't do their weight balance any good lol).

Do you have any more pics of your rear bumper/swingout carrier?

NODNARB

Observer
4a6364762540a1e6bdaef04ab4c21ebe.jpg

9a1b3cfa8b57c41721391aaa8905aa3e.jpg

So... The "swing out" is more of a tailgate... And there's a hinged piece of sheet metal that bridges the gap between the truck and the tailgate. This was my solution to be able to sleep inside such a short truck. :)
Edit: I actually plan on changing it up to make it a dual swing style while still adding the sleeping length... Just need to figure out exactly how.

dsal_86yota

Observer
Maybe add a foldout piece to tail gate area. something either out of plywood or metal. Maybe something that can be carried inside cab and added when needed or left at home when its a day run.

4x4junkie

Explorer
That's way cool! I really like the enclosure setup.

Maybe you can steal some ideas from mine (click on my sig, then the "Camping & storage unit" page)... I built a storage unit in the back where the drawer simply extends to become part of a sleep platform. IMO this is probably the one thing that has added the most practicality to the rig, not only providing a place to lay, but also to keep my most-used pieces gear handy & organized.

Previously I had a metal-framed plywood platform extension (43x24") that I simply kept inside on the rear floor... Two brackets that fit into slots on the rear bumper, then the platform sets on top of the brackets. It worked well, but I tired of having to unload my gear (including fridge) before I could set up the platform, which led to me building the unit I have now. Anyway, just another idea.

NODNARB

Observer
I will definitely check that out! My problem may be that I'm trying to keep the rear seats as well. Since the back of those lay flat to the existing floor, I'd have to get creative there too... But... That could be an excuse to build storage into the back of the seats or a flip over deal that would also lay on the back of the seats to keep the platform flat...
Gotta finish the roof rack/cage first. Hoping to camp/play on thanksgiving.

dsal_86yota

Observer
Wonder if a jeep wrangler(TJ) rear seat would work for a swap since they fold up and easily removed. When I had my TJ I used to take mine out for hauling stuff and hunting.

justcuz

Explorer
Dimensionally the B2 is very close in size to the original Bronco, yet these are the redheaded step child in the Bronco world. Nice little rigs to build up. A friend had a newer body style with a 4 liter and a 5 speed, pretty nice little vehicle as an all rounder.
Saw you lived in Rancho in another forum. Roof line reminds me of homes south of 19th by Jasper school.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles