windshield wipers

Mccool

Observer
I'm looking for recommendations on new wiper blades.

I know they aren't as glamorous as roof top tents, winches etc. But for those of us who enjoy traveling, they are a very practical upgrade that can make travel easier and safer.

Sorry if it's been discussed recently, the only discussions I found while searching were 6+ years old.

Thanks

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
2008 Toyota Tundra
I just bought replacement wipers for my '08 Tundra and the only ones I could find that were "correct" were at the Toy dealer for about $65. For any other vehicle, I really like the Bosch Icon, but they didn't seem to be available for the Tundra in the "correct" size. The factory blades are 26" on the left and 23" on the right, and I couldn't find any 23" from any local source, hence the Toy factory blade purchase. 26" is easy and I suppose you could substitute 22" on the right side, so that's probably what I'll do for the next pair, save $30.

amo292

Adventurer
I just bought replacement wipers for my '08 Tundra and the only ones I could find that were "correct" were at the Toy dealer for about $65. For any other vehicle, I really like the Bosch Icon, but they didn't seem to be available for the Tundra in the "correct" size. The factory blades are 26" on the left and 23" on the right, and I couldn't find any 23" from any local source, hence the Toy factory blade purchase. 26" is easy and I suppose you could substitute 22" on the right side, so that's probably what I'll do for the next pair, save $30.

There are tons of options for Tundras out there, Just takes a little searching. I also have an 08. I like the Valeo wipers. I can get good deals on the rainx but don't like them as much. They seem to degrade faster and don't hold up to snow and ice as well. The Valeo wipers I get from amazon do a great job and are not too expensive. I replace them about once a year due to harsh conditions and keep a spare drivers side in the truck at all times. Im also OCD when it comes to streaking and these leave a clean clear windshield. When matched with a -20 degree washer fluid everything is good.They are also just plug and play. No messing around with adapters.

http://www.amazon.com/Valeo-900267B...&sr=8-11&keywords=08+tundra+windshield+wipers

WMDunkin

Adventurer
put Rain-X washer fluid in and most of the time you wont need your wipers that much. Just get standard wipers and wipe them down every other time when you fill up. They will last a long time, and save you money from buying "premium" blades

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I run Silblade wipers. It's about $50 a pair, but they will last years, which more than offsets initial cost. The only thing that will kill them is if you abuse them by using them a lot with your window dirty with bug parts or ice, that will eventually wear the blade surfaces. I have no reason to promote them other than the product works extremely well.

They will likely last 5 years at least, the company brags that time range and I had a set on my previous vehicle that went past that. If they last 5 years that is $10 a year, how many sets of normal blades will you change a year for $10?

Silicone is an amazing substance. It doesn't degrade in sunlight, and it doesn't care if it's hot or cold (within any temp range a human can survive.) After experiencing how well the wipers held up, I used silicone in the padding of my roof rack mounts and it's lasting perfectly despite the wide range of weather it has been subjected to.

I also do the Rain-X washer fluid, I think the silicone substances in the fluid and the silicone blades compliment each other and make the window even more hydrophobic.

My only issue is bug guts build up and cause a film a bit worse because it spreads on top the silicone layer, but I give it a quick once over at the gas pump and it's good. I only have that issue in spring/fall when bugs are horrible here in KY.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
put Rain-X washer fluid in and most of the time you wont need your wipers that much. Just get standard wipers and wipe them down every other time when you fill up. They will last a long time, and save you money from buying "premium" blades

I bet 90% of drivers never think to clean their wipers when they fill up, a lot of dirt and bugs collect on the wipers and reduce efficiency more than you might think.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I have never even seen Valeo wipers around here. I am in Southern California and it has not rained much over the last four years, so neither the big box stores not the actual parts stores are stocking much in the way of wipers. Pickings are slim and there were no 23" in the places I visited.

Re wiping the blades, the best thing for wiping the blade edge is supposed to be rubbing alcohol. Seems to work OK. I tried the Rain-X washer fluid a few years ago and it did not seem to make much difference. The Fluid you get in MD is probably a good bit different than the crap we can buy in CA, because of our dopey air quality regulations. For example, it's almost impossible to buy anti-freeze washer fluid around here, even though temp in the local mountains was 12F this morning. Last time I needed some of that stuff, I had to buy it in concentrate and mix it myself.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I have never even seen Valeo wipers around here. I am in Southern California and it has not rained much over the last four years, so neither the big box stores not the actual parts stores are stocking much in the way of wipers. Pickings are slim and there were no 23" in the places I visited.

Re wiping the blades, the best thing for wiping the blade edge is supposed to be rubbing alcohol. Seems to work OK. I tried the Rain-X washer fluid a few years ago and it did not seem to make much difference. The Fluid you get in MD is probably a good bit different than the crap we can buy in CA, because of our dopey air quality regulations. For example, it's almost impossible to buy anti-freeze washer fluid around here, even though temp in the local mountains was 12F this morning. Last time I needed some of that stuff, I had to buy it in concentrate and mix it myself.

Actually, vinegar is better for cleaning wiper blades, alcohol causes premature breakdown of the rubber.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Actually, vinegar is better for cleaning wiper blades, alcohol causes premature breakdown of the rubber.
Vinegar works, but rubbing alcohol is a more aggressive cleaner and actually seems to remove some of the surface roughness on slightly worn blades. The best cleaner/conditioner seems to be lacquer thinner, because it removes the oxidized and roughened surface of the blade and gives you a fresh surface against the glass. Lacquer thinner around a painted hood is an accident waiting to happen, though. I generally keep my blades clean with Red Soap and a rag when I wash the vehicles. The alcohol and lacquer thinner are for "refreshing" them when they get long in the tooth.

java

Expedition Leader
Bosh Icons, Costco seems to always have a buy one get one special a couple times a year. They are pretty damn good, and don't ice up like traditional ones.

Claybaring your windshield every once in awhile helps a ton also. A lot of crap gets pretty stuck on.

4x4junkie

Explorer
I've been using the Goodyear "Assurance" blades that Costco around here sells. So far two years and no streaking yet, though as others have pointed out, it hasn't been raining much in So Cal lately so they haven't had a whole lot of use (wear) in that time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior