why a po up camper

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I grew up with an alaskan camper. My dad had one and the new ones are pretty much identical to what my dad had 40yrs ago. I will say one thing it was super heavy, and we didnt have the cab over model. Lots of wood.

Freebird

Adventurer
Alaskan camper "super heavy"? All things are relative.
I currently own a 10 ft Alaskan cab over that weighs very close to 2000 lbs.
I also currently own a lite weight Northern Lite hard sider that is 6 inches shorter (length) that weighs.....very close to the same. I believe both are weighed info on data "plate". (In reality a data sticker on both)
And the CG is much higher, as is the top of the camper which pushes a BIG bow wave.
Alaskan camper is heavy compared to the tall shells that were popular 40 years ago, but today we are talking campers with sinks, water, stoves, propane, etc.
The negatives on the Alaskan vs hard side is they are not as tight (air flow and dust wise), but very livable none the less.
Also, there is monkey motion involved with set up and take down each time you camp, and, actually, also just to enter it comfortably. I don't mind it, some folks do.
Adding extra height to an Alaskan will add extra cost, undoubtedly, but Bryan can talk numbers. Also it will be slightly heavier with a bit more structure, but it shouldn't be much.
I also would not recommend the wood framed Alaskan if you were going to be primarily traveling, camping, and storing the camper in a wet climate. Other people's experience on the forums have convinced me of that opinion.
I like my Alaskan, but my wife wanted better.....well,....accommodations (shower, HW tank, more room over bed, etc.). Go figure. :)

Edit: pickups way back when were not really designed and built (suspension, tires, brakes, etc) for much load, so the "heavy" perception would have very real when driving early Alaskans with contemporary pickups. Today's trucks are FAR more capable.
I believe this is where Alaskans got their "heavy" reputation. Back when trucks were wimpy... The campers are built basically/structurally the same now as 50 years ago.

Last edited:

Freebird

Adventurer
Does FWC have a 10 foot CO camper now? I didn't realize that is currently an option....
Looks like their max length 8 foot (96" floor) camper weighs 1700 lbs. calculated on a per inch basis, if they made a 120 inch long floor camper that would run about 2,125 lbs, so slightly heavier per inch than the Alaskan...... IF the truck camper magazine buyers guide is accurate with their numbers, anyway.
Floor space costs both money AND weight.
No chip on my shoulder, or anything, but Alaskan Campers can't seem to shake their rap for being very heavy....
Not entirely deserved, imho.

Edit with better info: add address to site my FWC numbers came from.
http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/truck-camper-buyers-guide/four-wheel-pop-up-camper

Alaskan 2016 numbers by TCM. I was just going by my camper in the above response.
There are a lot of numbers to sort through, but looks like the Alaskan loaded up is heavier per inch than FWC loaded up....
http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/truck-camper-buyers-guide/alaskan-camper

Mia culpa...(blush)....

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Alaskan camper "super heavy"? All things are relative.
I currently own a 10 ft Alaskan cab over that weighs very close to 2000 lbs.
I also currently own a lite weight Northern Lite hard sider that is 6 inches shorter (length) that weighs.....very close to the same. I believe both are weighed info on data "plate". (In reality a data sticker on both)
And the CG is much higher, as is the top of the camper which pushes a BIG bow wave.
Alaskan camper is heavy compared to the tall shells that were popular 40 years ago, but today we are talking campers with sinks, water, stoves, propane, etc.
The negatives on the Alaskan vs hard side is they are not as tight (air flow and dust wise), but very livable none the less.
Also, there is monkey motion involved with set up and take down each time you camp, and, actually, also just to enter it comfortably. I don't mind it, some folks do.
Adding extra height to an Alaskan will add extra cost, undoubtedly, but Bryan can talk numbers. Also it will be slightly heavier with a bit more structure, but it shouldn't be much.
I also would not recommend the wood framed Alaskan if you were going to be primarily traveling, camping, and storing the camper in a wet climate. Other people's experience on the forums have convinced me of that opinion.
I like my Alaskan, but my wife wanted better.....well,....accommodations (shower, HW tank, more room over bed, etc.). Go figure. :)

Edit: pickups way back when were not really designed and built (suspension, tires, brakes, etc) for much load, so the "heavy" perception would have very real when driving early Alaskans with contemporary pickups. Today's trucks are FAR more capable.
I believe this is where Alaskans got their "heavy" reputation. Back when trucks were wimpy... The campers are built basically/structurally the same now as 50 years ago.

Lol we hauled it with a 1 ton Dodge that hauled almost a cord of valley oak in the fall and could do 22 bales of Alfalfa in the spring. Its only weakness was the 318. The Super Bee 440 we pulled out of a built up wrecked Super Bee fixed that issue. Doing 70 over donner pass with the Alaskan and 18ft I/O 351 ski boat was a demostration in Mopar Insanity paired with ear splitting 3mpg V8 roar. Ha ha. That truck was 27yrs old when it was retired to the HS auto shop. The 440 went on to live as a drag engine in a god for bid 56 drag built Camero! No joke. Lol

smlobx

Wanderer
L
Does FWC have a 10 foot CO camper now? I didn't realize that is currently an option....
Looks like their max length 8 foot (96" floor) camper weighs 1700 lbs. calculated on a per inch basis, if they made a 120 inch long floor camper that would run about 2,125 lbs, so slightly heavier per inch than the Alaskan...... IF the truck camper magazine buyers guide is accurate with their numbers, anyway.
Floor space costs both money AND weight.
No chip on my shoulder, or anything, but Alaskan Campers can't seem to shake their rap for being very heavy....
Not entirely deserved, imho.

Edit with better info: add address to site my FWC numbers came from.
http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/truck-camper-buyers-guide/four-wheel-pop-up-camper

Alaskan 2016 numbers by TCM. I was just going by my camper in the above response.
There are a lot of numbers to sort through, but looks like the Alaskan loaded up is heavier per inch than FWC loaded up....
http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/truck-camper-buyers-guide/alaskan-camper

Mia culpa...(blush)....

I believe the Grandby (8') is the largest camper they make.

We are buying a Hallmark Everest. This unit is 8.5' long and they have a 9.5' unit, the Cuchara

http://www.hallmarkrv.com/campers/Cuchara

Yes their initial cost is more than FWC but by the time you add what we considered essentials to the FWC and realize that the Hallmark includes those items the price delta isn't that much. Plus the finish is more upscale (IMHO).

shooter112

Love my camper

I have had a Outfitters 10 years and I love it. Mine is only 6.5 ft long and is plenty big for 2 people. I have spend as many as 28 days in it. Soft sides do have there downsides but all in all its not a big deal. They do shake a little in really high winds and if not seam sealed leak. I have used mine in Canada on some pretty rough trails with no problems. If there is one problem I have with them is the height and a hard side would be completely useless in many places I go to fish do photography. You couldn't give me a trailer. I really like the freedom to be able to pull over anywhere or anytime to sleep or eat etc. if I were to change anything about mime, I would have added a outdoor shower. I spend weeks in mine and the shower would be nice but not a big deal for shorter trips or if you stay in camp grounds which I don't. I can't tell you how much money I have saved over the years not having pay camping fees and I got great nights sleep.I also have a Dodge diesel (with factory helper springs) and works just fine with the smaller campers. I could on and on about my camper but when someone asks if I like my camper I just tell them I love my camper.

BigDan

Observer
Ill ask you two questions then .....

do you sleep with roof down when in urban areas ( ex: walmarts )

what about cold weather ( without talking freezing but like 45 deg F )

no doubt about lower center of gravity and height that is useful ......
thanks

Dan

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
I just finished a shake down cruise in my 4WC 6' pop up and slept two nights on the roll over couch in rout coming and going to destination with the top in the down
position, the bed up top is a little more comfortable but the roll over is very doable, I love it !

BigDan

Observer
I just finished a shake down cruise in my 4WC 6' pop up and slept two nights on the roll over couch in rout coming and going to destination with the top in the down
position, the bed up top is a little more comfortable but the roll over is very doable, I love it !

are you by yourself ......would it be possible to sleep two ( at least 48" wide X 72" long )

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
are you by yourself ......would it be possible to sleep two ( at least 48" wide X 72" long )

Absolutely , I wouldn't want to sleep on the rollover couch after getting to a campsite because it's so easy to pop the top, but for two sleeping in a rest area on a long haul NO problem.
The roll over couch and sleeping/resting with the top down is what SOLD me on the 4WC pop up to begin with..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier