The working - camping OBS F-350

Seabass

Idiot
Doing your own shackle reversal is not that difficult if you can fab and weld.

You know, I've seriously considered it. I've seen the kits....ain't much to them. I think I could build one. The shackles are shot on my powerstroke. The ones I put on this truck were actually bought for diesel. Now I need another set of factory shackles for the diesel, or just go on and do the flip.

Seabass

Idiot
Ain't updated in a while. I've put almost two thousand miles on the truck since the swap was done. What a great swap! I'm still really happy with the work and money I spent. So far I've ran all the back roads and big roads around, I've tested the 4x4 out very vigorously, and towed....a lot. The biggest load so far was a 4x4 cab tractor with a loader on my 32' dual tandem flatbed gooseneck trailer. I figure I was towing right at twenty thousand pounds. It did super. Well, as good as I was hoping anyway. It's no diesel, but I understand why so many 460s were put in RV's and dual wheel trucks. It is, however, very thirsty when towing. I expected that. But empty I'm getting about eleven mpg. Not to shabby considering that the 351 got the same. A part of me still wishes I'd done a 12 valve cummins swap.....but I'd have had four times the money invested and probably still wouldn't be driving the truck. I ended up ordering a custom flatbed. I had a few options that I really wanted and it seemed worth the wait to get it. In fact, the bed has been built and should be arriving any day now. I'll have plenty more to post once I get it in. Oh, and I also picked up a smitty built 9500 lb winch. It was a really good buy, synthetic rope and everything. It ain't a Warn, and it's a tic small....but I couldn't pass it up. So here's a pic or two of the truck doing truck things- because as we all know everyone likes pics.
12f5d00632332920c544ec62614dda7a.jpg
73f9b9ba75c1c067cd98836709711253.jpg

Last edited:

damon1272

Observer
Glad to see the swap went well. The cummins swap is a PITA. Finishing up my friends 96 f 350 with a 12v. Works great but what a hassle. I don't think I would do one again. On the bright side his 460 and trans is going into my 94 bronco.

Seabass

Idiot
I've never seen such big mudflaps on the front?

That's because they are supposed to be on the back.....of a semi. It's nasty muddy here at different times. I have put them on most of the trucks I've owned. Generally I cut them down to be much narrower. I was in a hurry the day I mounted them up and I never got around to finishing. I tell you though, it don't matter how muddy it gets or how fast I drive they keep most the mud off the truck- it's unbelievable. I'm off road a lot in that truck. They look a little silly but I tolerate them because they work so well.

Seabass

Idiot
Glad to see the swap went well. The cummins swap is a PITA. Finishing up my friends 96 f 350 with a 12v. Works great but what a hassle. I don't think I would do one again. On the bright side his 460 and trans is going into my 94 bronco.

I wanted maximum dependability. I knew that putting a ford motor in a ford truck would help. I can go to any parts house and buy anything I need with out any further fabrication or rigging up. The motor is from the same body style as my truck, just a few years older. So far every part that I've purchased for the motor carried the same part number as it would have if it had been a 97 model engine. The engine is a 94'. So I'm really happy. And it'll pull anything with this 460 that it would with a cummins- especially since I didn't make it a dually. The truck simply isn't safe to pull more than 20k.....I don't think pulling that tractor with it was the smartest thing I ever did. So the 460 had power enough to do that. I had a dodge with a cummins and it had a crap load more power than the 460....but I couldn't have safely drove any faster with that tractor than the 460 pulled it. Hope you get along with your swap. If you got any questions I'd be happy to offer any advice that I might have. Good luck. I love them broncos. I had a 95- I really miss it.

Seabass

Idiot
Made some progress. Haven't had a ton of time, but when I can I'm sneaking into the shop to work on the old truck. The mama cows are awfully demanding this time of year. Anyway.....I scraped, beat, cleaned and painted the frame. It looks mighty nice now. Today I managed to get the bed sitting on the truck. It ain't hardly ready to drive, but it's getting closer! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454465280.387470.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1454465294.599393.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1454465306.562389.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1454465321.294278.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1454465331.909799.jpg more to come....I hope.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I like what you have done here. The 460 is a great platform and as you said made sense to keep to what you could have had in the truck. I think for mpg you are getting about as good as can be expected. I see a big block swap into my suburban in the future (hopefully not too soon!).

On your mudflaps, do you attach them at "normal height" or do you put them higher up into the wheel well? I am looking for solutions for the suburban, since, like you, I am on dirt, nud, etc... every day.

Thanks,

John

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
From experience, good luck with the fuel fillers.

They can be a PITA to fit when running a flatbed, and still have enough slope to fill okay.

Mine work, but you have to fill much slower than Id like, as in, not even quite to the first click on pumps.

Thats with mine even being in the bed rail, not below.

16d60.jpg

Seabass

Idiot
Made a little more progress today. Not much, but every bit counts. I got all the anchor points welded, and my new front fuel tank painted and ready to go on the truck. Yep....progress. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454549373.854528.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1454549385.803559.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior